RA1
Oct 19, 2006 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Chiliman

500+ Head-Fier
I have known for years about this little amp, in fact, it was the first headphone amp that I ever had heard of. How does it actually compare to some of the big boy amps when used the the RS1?

Oct 19, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 27
The chip purportedly used sounds pretty decent with the headphones I've got available to me. It's designed to drive low impedance loads like headphones with OK linearity, and it has pretty high output current into low impedance loads, so it's actually one of the few op-amps out there that seems to be geared towards driving headphones. If you're really curious, try a CMoy with an NJM4556 in it.

Corroborating reports here: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...71&postcount=4 and http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...41&postcount=3

Oct 19, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 27
Hey Filburt! I hope Arizona is treating you well
smily_headphones1.gif

The RS-1 and GS-1000 really sound awesome with this amp. Even the more expensive tube amps can't quite match the sweetness. I would say the Mapletree amp with the RS-1 actually outdoes it though.

But even though the design is simple and most likely overpriced, it performs better than most amps for the RS-1 and GS-1000.

Oct 20, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 27
Ah, Mapletree...specifically the Ear Purist + HD sold by Dr. Lloyd. I have an Ear Purist + HD100 and I have yet to hear a better amp with my RS-1. Here is a picture (sorry for the poor quality, the green tube in the front is a magic eye) click on the thumbnail to view full size.

Here is the link to the Mapletree website: http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/ By the way Dr. Lloyd is comming out with a 150th anniversary of the Ear Purist with the Ear Purist + HD150. The specs can be found at: http://mail.atlanticbb.net/Session/3...50%20specs.pdf

008201c6ebb6$d7d6ed80$adb9fea9@computer

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 27
Rob, do you like RA-1 more then your PPX3 wih the RS-1 and GS-1000?

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Hey Filburt! I hope Arizona is treating you well
smily_headphones1.gif

The RS-1 and GS-1000 really sound awesome with this amp. Even the more expensive tube amps can't quite match the sweetness. I would say the Mapletree amp with the RS-1 actually outdoes it though.

But even though the design is simple and most likely overpriced, it performs better than most amps for the RS-1 and GS-1000.

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by vberch
Rob, do you like RA-1 more then your PPX3 wih the RS-1 and GS-1000?

well, rob, if you do, then I am sold on the RA1, since I am pretty sure the RS1's are my ideal cans

Oct 20, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #8 of 27
I'm thinking of a very similiar combo and would love to echo the same question

Thinking about RA-1 or PPX3 with RS-1 or GS1000 - rob?

Oct 20, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #9 of 27
i used to own the RA-1/RS-1 combo and it was sweet. say all you want about the RA-1's "simplicity." it works.

i've also owned the MAD ear+ HD and they sound mighty nice with grados...you can't go wrong either way. i had a better source with the RA-1 but i think the MAD ear+ wins over the RA-1. my 2 cents.

Oct 20, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #10 of 27
I would say the RA-1 does some things better than the PPX, but the PPX may be slightly better overall (technically). That being said, the RA-1 has a "sweetness" that is very enjoyeable and may just make it win over the PPX for that particular phone.

Overall, given the difference in price, I'd go with the RA-1, then if you want to spend more get the Mapletree. The PPX is great for lots of different phones, but synergy is huge and the Singlepower doesn't particularly have any special synergy with Grados. It's just a great all around amp
rs1smile.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #11 of 27
Great, now i am going to have to mod a dac into some kind of wood casing.

It would be tough to make it look good (for me at least) but it sure would look good in the combo.

Oct 20, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #12 of 27
It is around 288EUR in Taiwan, plus 30 EUR for shipping. It is still less than 50% of Finland price. All the Grado phones and amp are cheaper in Taiwan than elsewhere, Europe in particular.

BTW, all the Grado fans in Taiwan are in favor of RA1.

Having the schematic shown, isn't it natually integrated in some somewhere else, like receiver, highend sound card in pc for extra $20? There are no additional power supply, case, distribution channel, etc.

The headphone amp myth will end sooner than later.

Oct 20, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #13 of 27
Ive said some unpleasant things about it in the past... But it is a good amp, just a little over priced IMHO. For $300 you can have a well made Millet. Ive seen the AC RA1 go for ~$360.. that knocks you up in to X-Cans V3 territory... another good hybrid.

Strangely... I found the JRC 4556 to be a little grainy in my 18V cmoy. I think the RA1 filter caps might help tame this a little, because I dont recall the RA1 sounding grainy at all.

Someone correct me
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

I still might get an RA1 some day... just because of the Grado-woody coolness factor.
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #14 of 27
There aren't even any reservoir caps on the power lines...
eek.gif
No wonder that it has a sweet sound
redface.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Ive said some unpleasant things about it in the past... But it is a good amp, just a little over priced IMHO. For $300 you can have a well made Millet. Ive seen the AC RA1 go for ~$360.. that knocks you up in to X-Cans V3 territory... another good hybrid.

Strangely... I found the JRC 4556 to be a little grainy in my 18V cmoy. I think the RA1 filter caps might help tame this a little, because I dont recall the RA1 sounding grainy at all.

Someone correct me
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

I still might get an RA1 some day... just because of the Grado-woody coolness factor.
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

I have the X-cans v.3 and the RA-1. The RA-1 sounds better with the RS-1 and GS-1000 for that matter (at times anyway). I haven't modded my X-cans and some more tubes rolling may change this, but then you are adding cost. I've flip flopped about which is better for awhile but just can't get over that creamy, sweet RA-1/RS-1, GS-1000 synergy.

I will say thought that the Mapletree that iamdone had (don't know which tubes he picked) had that synergy and improved on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back