RA-1 Clone Built
Jul 19, 2003 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jacobh

100+ Head-Fier
I finished up my RA-1 clone this afternoon but because of plans for the evening didn't get to try it out until just now. Just to check I wasn't gonna blow my nice phones up, I plugged in the set that came with a portable cd player and they seemed to survive. Next my Grados, and everything seemed in good working order. As it turns out, I switched the left and right outputs which I need to fix, but everything else seems fine. After all of 5 minutes of listening I can't really form an opinion. It seems like the highs were a little less harsh and instrument separation was better. I noticed the low end was not as loud or impactful, but less muddy. They were pretty subtle changes, but it was only 5 minutes of listening. I'm curious as to what other people's opinions on the ra-1 are.

The only problem I ran into was that I accidentally ordered surface mount resistors instead of the normal kind and that proved to be quite a pain when soldering. My point to point skills need some work too. Time to figure out what to do for an enclosure. I'll post some pictures when I can borrow a digital camera if anyone cares.

Jul 19, 2003 at 1:34 PM Post #2 of 4
Put a BUFFER after the opamp and the low end will improve alot. The internal Amp that comes in most Portable CD players has plenty of output current but lacks the Voltage Headroom for musical Peaks. With you upping the Voltage headroom by your Clone you now need to asure that enough output current is available and this is what Buffers do when combined with an Op Amp. Good luck with your project and hope you are pleased with your Clone.

Jul 19, 2003 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 4
I actually had this hooked into the tape output of my receiver, which is where I will mostly be using it. If after a little more listening I am unsatisfied with the low end, I will look into buffering the output. The low end is still there, it's just not as flabby so in comparison to the rest of the music it is not as prominent.

What kind of a buffer would be good to use? I know people use the el200x with metas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back