RA-1 better synergy than SMv3 with HD-650
Jul 23, 2005 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

bpinnell

100+ Head-Fier
confused.gif

Just wanted to share my surprise today when I sat down and A/B'd my RA-1 and Supermacro-3 with my HD-650. I bought the SM3 with a bunch of OpAmps thinking it would clearly have better synergy. But even after rolling through all seven of my OpAmps (including some Class A), the RA-1 beat them all in detail, soundstage, and smoothness. The soundstage on the SM3 often felt narrow almost like I turned on crossfeed permanently. I was listening to DVD-A's and SACD's out of a Pioneer DV-45a, and with the RA-1 they sound like Hi-Res formats, while out of the SM3, they sounded like CDs. I wonder if I am alone in this experience. I have an XP-7 coming soon, and I hope that will put both to shame. Thanks for listening.

Jul 24, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 43
Bpinnell. do you have the SM v3.0 lite version?
Are you running the SM v3.0 off of batteries, or AC Power Adapter?
What setting do you have the AC Power adapter set on?

When I recieved my output bypass adapter, with the default
NE5534 class-A biased. I found I preferred the opamp AD797.

However, trying the AD829 and AD744 class-A biased they sound much
better. I am currently using my SM v3.0 with the Output Bypass Adapter
with the AD744 class-A biased, but I still like the opamp AD797
also.
etysmile.gif

I did find my Etymotic ER4P's pick up a hiss with the AD744 class-A biased
setup when no music is playing - not so much of a black/dark background as I expected, anybody else experiencing this? I wonder if the hiss will
dissappear or get worse as the opamp and adapter burn in further.

Thanks!

Jul 24, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 43
the ad744 doesn't have good voltage noise characteristics.. which could be why it hisses

Jul 24, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #6 of 43
I just got an AKG 340 and am driving it with an RA1. The sound is great, and I've been just as satisfied driving an HD600, HD650s, and of course an RS-1 with the RA1. It's a really nice amp.

Jul 24, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 43
If you do a search, some time ago hirsch stated that the HD600 has a very good synergy with the RA-1, so it is not weird at all that that HD650 that shares similar specs will do it too....

Aug 25, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
Shocking, considering that the RA-1 has $20 worth of parts except for the wood. I thought they synergize well with Grados not with Senns.

What does money have to do with the sound? What does more money buy you, except more parts for the signal to pass through or be affected by, thereby diluting it.

Aug 26, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
Shocking, considering that the RA-1 has $20 worth of parts except for the wood. I thought they synergize well with Grados not with Senns.

That was surprise for everybody, given that the HD600 demands more voltage from the amp, than the Grados, and given that is was designed for low Z, that is a completelly different story....but that was what Hirsch found out while using them, I assuming that he has heard enough to state that.....

Aug 26, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #10 of 43
Simple is often good if the right parts are used. But I do hear a huge soundstage with the SuperMacro V3. I also have a very modified Woo3 that throws a large natural soundstage but no bettter than the V3. Comparing the V3 to the SR71, which many feel has a very good soundstage, i find they both very fine. The V3 is just a little more alive.

John

Aug 26, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
What does money have to do with the sound? What does more money buy you, except more parts for the signal to pass through or be affected by, thereby diluting it.

We should all own cmoys, then, if that is really the case.
rolleyes.gif

Because that's what we're really talking about, here, as far as level of complexity: a cmoy.

RA-1 is a terrible amp with everything, but especially with the HD600/HD650.

SM V3 w/AD744 is in a whole other world.

-Matt

Aug 26, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
RA-1 is a terrible amp with everything,....

rolleyes.gif

I assume, then, that you've actually heard everything?
I find the RA-1 to be quite respectable with just about anything.
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
rolleyes.gif

I assume, then, that you've actually heard everything?
I find the RA-1 to be quite respectable with just about anything.
biggrin.gif

As would most people who have ears.

Aug 26, 2005 at 11:08 AM Post #14 of 43
This read makes me look forward (even more) to discovering the synergy between my soon to come Porta Corda MkIII and my HD650.

That's because the Porta Corda has (un-buffered) single opamps driving the phones, reminding me a bit of a cmoy type of amp. Well, the LM6171's are very high current output op-amps, at that.

Aug 26, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
RA-1 is a terrible amp with everything, but especially with the HD600/HD650.

SM V3 w/AD744 is in a whole other world.

rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back