RA-1 AC vs. DC Sound Quality
Mar 20, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #2 of 10
I'm not entirely sure. I have read some reports stating that there is no audible difference. Conceivably the battery operated one should be better, no AC line noise to contend with. Depending on the intended use...I would go with some Plainview 9V's if you were looking at the DC version.

Aug 17, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 10
Hate to revive an old thread, but anyone have any new experiences with the AC vs DC debate? I've read in even older threads that the AC version has a louder output. That's not good for my sensitive ears! Can someone confirm?

Aug 17, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
sure you want that amp?

had one and with rs-1 it isnt what its cracked up to be...but if you want it then go for it

See! See?! I'm not crazy!

Maybe this RA-1 synergy stuff is not all that it's cracked up to be, eh?

I would go for any amp other than the RA-1 in that price range.

-Matt

Aug 17, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets
Hate to revive an old thread, but anyone have any new experiences with the AC vs DC debate? I've read in even older threads that the AC version has a louder output. That's not good for my sensitive ears! Can someone confirm?

AC is a very noisy amp...have not heard battery one.

-Matt

Aug 17, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets

I've only had experience with the DC version (that's the battery-powered one, right?). But if the AC is louder, it definitely won't be good for someone with sensitive ears--with Grado 225s I can barely get beyond the 7:30 position, and even that can be too loud for some recent, loudly mastered CDs. Staying below 7 doesn't work, because then the channels don't track properly.

I don't know how sensitive my ears are--I do think I generally listen at lower volumes (approximately the level of a normal conversation) than many here seem to. YMMV.

Cheers,
Mark

Aug 18, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 10
Well, I emailed Grado directly if the AC (wall-powered) version was any louder. They stated the two versions are identical in gain and volume. Still, does anyone else have noise (hisses/hums) problems with the AC version, or is it as quiet as the DC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back