R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Aug 17, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #2,807 of 4,410
I'm of the belief that the Amazon HD problem is the software and not the R5. I have problems with it my iPhone from time to time, too. I wish they'd copy from some of their competitors, who all seem to have better design interfaces.
About 6 months ago I would have agreed. But since then Amazon has improved the IOS software tremendously and it now works just fine. But the software still bogs down on the R5.

Aug 17, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #2,808 of 4,410
I’ve never figured out how to enter into USB DAC mode after connecting my iPad Mini to R5 with Apple CCK. Nothing happens. I switched to “USB DAC In” in the settings of R5 so I’m not sure what to do next to activate it. Songs on my iPad are continuing to play through the iPad’s speakers. I restarted both devices a few times while connected but that didn’t help.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #2,809 of 4,410
@Joe Bloggs
I am a fan of my HiBy R5. But there is a real problem that is affecting me and causing some unhappiness. The culprit is Amazon HD on the R5. Tidal runs smartly, as an app should. Amazon HD is more of a split personality. Sometimes it does what it should and at other times it just doesn't manage to start playing. I don't know if is memory, or what but it sometimes means a wait of a minute or so....or a restart. I don't like it. It's not the Amazon HD app.......because on my other 3 Android players,,,,the FiiO M6, The Samsung S9 plus and the LG V30, Amazon HD runs seamlessly. I can't use Tidal because I am tied to Amazon Prime so get a chunky discount on Amazon HD. I need 'Streaming' and I need 'Amazon HD' Something has to happen. This really has to be dealt with....by your side @Joe Bloggs. 'What else can a poor boy do' words out of Running on Faith, written by the great Jerry Lynn Williams, performed by Eric Clapton. This 'poor boy' needs to use Amazon HD, and get musical happiness....the whole point of the HiBy R5. I have faith in you.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #2,810 of 4,410
I agree! I really love Amazon HD and think they have a great selection of Ultra HD music. I like going though different playlist that they have to discover new music as well. Exciting to be able to do all of this on a DAP.
Shame their app sucks though and it's not capable of true bit perfect and you like it all upsampled. Sorry I have a real issue with this service it's half cocked and just a money grab.

Aug 18, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #2,811 of 4,410
Shame their app sucks though and it's not capable of true bit perfect and you like it all upsampled. Sorry I have a real issue with this service it's half cocked and just a money grab.
Agree. It's like they saw the success of Tidal and Qobuz and wanted to get in on the action with a half thought-out effort. I knew something was amiss when every song and album was 192K.

Aug 18, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #2,812 of 4,410
Agree. It's like they saw the success of Tidal and Qobuz and wanted to get in on the action with a half thought-out effort. I knew something was amiss when every song and album was 192K.
Also the app works just like all the others on my R5- songs start quickly with no issues. There may be a problem with that fellow's R5.

Aug 18, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #2,814 of 4,410
What media player apps do you guys like with the R5? Do you use the stock Hiby one or is there something better? I know I have seen UAPP spoken highly of, but idk what makes it good or even if it is a good fit for the R5.
UAPP is now compatible with the R5. The reason I use it (I have used the Hiby app as well) is it "contains" my library, Tidal and Qobuz. I don't have to change apps all the time using UAPP. I also use it on my S10+.

Aug 18, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #2,815 of 4,410
What media player apps do you guys like with the R5? Do you use the stock Hiby one or is there something better? I know I have seen UAPP spoken highly of, but idk what makes it good or even if it is a good fit for the R5.
Now that they've resolved the gapless issue (no more pauses/hiccups between continual tracks) I've gone back to using the Hiby Music app. I was using UAPP before then, but I'm not sure if it's just my ears but to me the UAPP app sounds a bit harsher sounding in comparison to the Hiby Music app. This is just for playing FLAC files from the SD card mind, I don't use any of the streaming services.

Aug 18, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #2,816 of 4,410
Now that they've resolved the gapless issue (no more pauses/hiccups between continual tracks) I've gone back to using the Hiby Music app. I was using UAPP before then, but I'm not sure if it's just my ears but to me the UAPP app sounds a bit harsher sounding in comparison to the Hiby Music app. This is just for playing FLAC files from the SD card mind, I don't use any of the streaming services.

I have the latest version of the HiBy Music app, and though gapless is better than before, it is still not as good as my other daps. I still hear a transition between tracks on live albums.

Aug 18, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #2,818 of 4,410
Roon and UAPP all I use. More UAPP until Roon sort out the crappy Android resampling.

Aug 19, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #2,820 of 4,410
I am wondering if Hiby would be willing to mail me an R5 with it stating "gift" on the package. This way it will cost me 395.36 Canadian (current conversion amount from 300 US), and then I will not have to pay any other ridiculous charges for the DAP when it shows up. I ended up sending Hiby an email to inquire about this. I am very happy with the R3 Pro, but I am rather interested in stepping up to the sound quality improvements which would be offered by the R5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back