R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Aug 16, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #2,792 of 4,421
Amazon HD on the R5 is indeed a cool feature. Amazon keeps improving the app and lately the tracks I have downloaded are glitch free (which was not the case at first). I really like the idea of "Music As A Service".

I agree! I really love Amazon HD and think they have a great selection of Ultra HD music. I like going though different playlist that they have to discover new music as well. Exciting to be able to do all of this on a DAP.

Aug 16, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #2,794 of 4,421
The Hiby R5 is going on a 25% off anniversary sale on their website on August 18th-25th for 300 US. That is an awesome deal.

https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-r5
Very true. Great deal, that's what I paid for mine. I was A/B'ing the R5 with the Sony TA-Zh1es this morning, and while the TA sounded better, it was only slightly better. Soundstage only slightly wider, separation and air between instruments only slightly better. Bass and treble, only a a little bit better. I actually had to listen to the two several times before I noticed these differences. The TA retails for $2200 and the R5 (soon) for $299. It's a no brainer. Makes me wonder what even higher end Android DAPs sound like, like the Fiio M15.

Aug 16, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #2,797 of 4,421
Has anyone here compared the R5 to the R3 Pro (dual CS43131 DAC) version ? This is the DAP I currently own.
I had the R3 Pro Sabre for a while, but returned it because the wifi didn't seem to be working well enough. I was getting 30 second lag times between commands when I was using Tidal. The sound was pretty amazing however, and especially for such a small player. I would say the R3 Pro Sabre sounded a bit cleaner, more detailed, but the player as whole was less powerful than the R5. Soundstage was not quite as wide, but separation was almost better than the R5. For local files, the this R3 sounded pretty awesome, in some ways I even preferred it to the R5, which came across as a little warmer. My apologies that my vocab regarding sound is a bit limited..

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #2,798 of 4,421
I have an Orbi. What is IGMP?
  • Disable IGMP Proxying. IGMP proxying allows a computer on the local area network (LAN) to receive the multicast traffic it is interested in from the Internet. If you do not need this feature, you can select this check box to disable it.

I don't know exactly what it does, but unchecking helped to get more stable connection. not 100% but significantly better.

Aug 17, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #2,799 of 4,421
  • Disable IGMP Proxying. IGMP proxying allows a computer on the local area network (LAN) to receive the multicast traffic it is interested in from the Internet. If you do not need this feature, you can select this check box to disable it.

I don't know exactly what it does, but unchecking helped to get more stable connection. not 100% but significantly better.
Thanks. I'll try that.

Aug 17, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #2,800 of 4,421
If there ever was such a thing as an R5 pro; I would want to improve the processing power and possibly add memory. Amazon HD spends more time than I would like preparing lists of artists, albums, etc. and I bet it is computing dependent.

It would be great if HiBy could figure out what causes the lag and figured out ways reduce the lag in system software. Also it would be great to figure out how to support the track advance buttons on the hardware and not just in software via the touch screen.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #2,801 of 4,421
If there ever was such a thing as an R5 pro; I would want to improve the processing power and possibly add memory. Amazon HD spends more time than I would like preparing lists of artists, albums, etc. and I bet it is computing dependent.

It would be great if HiBy could figure out what causes the lag and figured out ways reduce the lag in system software. Also it would be great to figure out how to support the track advance buttons on the hardware and not just in software via the touch screen.
Amazon runs quite quickly on my phones (S9 plus and LG V30) and even on my SLOWWW FiiO M6. On the HiBy R5 even Tidal runs fast enough. Amazon though does not run as well as Tidal and I'm not sure the whole problem is with Amazon. HiBy need to look on the R5 as something is wrong from the HiBy R5 side for sure.

Aug 17, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #2,804 of 4,421
I'm of the belief that the Amazon HD problem is the software and not the R5. I have problems with it my iPhone from time to time, too. I wish they'd copy from some of their competitors, who all seem to have better design interfaces.

Aug 17, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #2,805 of 4,421
I'm of the belief that the Amazon HD problem is the software and not the R5. I have problems with it my iPhone from time to time, too. I wish they'd copy from some of their competitors, who all seem to have better design interfaces.
I'm not sure about that. Amazon HD runs fairly seamlessly on my, slow slow FiiO M6, my LG V30 and my Samsung S9 plus. It's definitely as much HiBy as Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back