R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Jun 17, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #2,447 of 4,410
I also wonder at people who pay big money for a DAP and then listen via Bluetooth. Isn't that wasting the high quality DAC's and resultant SQ these are capable of?
But if a company advertises Bluetooth/LDAC it should work. I have A Zen Blue Bluetooth receiver connected to some simple but good HiFi, why shouldn't I use my DAP to control it. If something is advertised as functional it should function as advertised. There are two different issues. Sound quality, which is so important, as you say, but functionality can co-exist with SQ. I would like both.

Jun 17, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #2,448 of 4,410
I posted this in the help section, but didn't get any takers.

Any idea why Amazon Music HD shows my device (R5) capability as 24-bit / 44.1 KHz?

JZ2M1WY.jpg

Hi, can anyone confirm whether the Amazon Music HD issue has been resolved? For me it's a bit of a deal breaker on the R5.

Jun 17, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #2,449 of 4,410
Hi, can anyone confirm whether the Amazon Music HD issue has been resolved? For me it's a bit of a deal breaker on the R5.
Being android app it's likely just seeing what the R5 advertises it's capabilities at via normal Android audio output . Roon is the same will only see the 44.1/24. The app won't ever be bit perfect as it doesn't rate switch for different sources, it's like that on every OS. Useless service if you ask me its not properly DAC aware on any system it will just output at what it believes the system output to be.

Jun 17, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #2,450 of 4,410
Being android app it's likely just seeing what the R5 advertises it's capabilities at via normal Android audio output . Roon is the same will only see the 44.1/24. The app won't ever be bit perfect as it doesn't rate switch for different sources, it's like that on every OS. Useless service if you ask me its not properly DAC aware on any system it will just output at what it believes the system output to be.

So what you're saying is - Amazon believes any device running on Android is maxed out at 44.1/24?
Seems like this is something that could be corrected and since it's been raised a few times, since last year in fact it'd be nice to see it taken care of (I guess an Amazon correction).

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #2,452 of 4,410
Just out of caution, before going to far with this, have you checked if you are at the latest version of the firmware? If not, you will have problems such as this. The latest version fixed problems like this. Amazon HD can run up to 24 bit 192 on this unit; and does on mine.

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #2,453 of 4,410
Just out of caution, before going to far with this, have you checked if you are at the latest version of the firmware? If not, you will have problems such as this. The latest version fixed problems like this. Amazon HD can run up to 24 bit 192 on this unit; and does on mine.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. It's a matter of whether I purchase one or not. So if it's working on R5 for you then I guess it's fine now.

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #2,454 of 4,410
But does it rate switch or just output at a fixed rate. Pc, mac, Apple for Amazon all output at fixed sample rates regardless of source, this is normally the max sample rate the app finds it supports. It has no exclusive control to change the sample rate based on source. If it works on the Hiby then it's one of the only devices to do it apart from those it's embedded in like Bluesound.

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #2,455 of 4,410
So what you're saying is - Amazon believes any device running on Android is maxed out at 44.1/24?
Seems like this is something that could be corrected and since it's been raised a few times, since last year in fact it'd be nice to see it taken care of (I guess an Amazon correction).
It did on my phone and that can handle 96/24. Dont have it anymore as it's garbage as I explained no way to get exclusive control like Tidal and Qobuz on any platform. Windows, Mac, Apple or Android. It outputs everything at the max your DAC or device reports to it and it won't change it per source. So it will either upscale or downscale everything to that rate.

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #2,456 of 4,410
It did on my phone and that can handle 96/24. Dont have it anymore as it's garbage as I explained no way to get exclusive control like Tidal and Qobuz on any platform. Windows, Mac, Apple or Android. It outputs everything at the max your DAC or device reports to it and it won't change it per source. So it will either upscale or downscale everything to that rate.
This is what it always outputs.

20200617_132755.jpg

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #2,457 of 4,410
Amazon HD in many instances does resample / upsample on many platforms. I fed my iphone to an external DAC and everything seemed to work properly, but I don't think that is the case with Windows. On the HiBy R5 the files are fed natively at the proper rates. I have no idea what happens if you send the files outside of the R5 (in my use case there is no point to that).

Seems like most of these questions are somewhat independent of the R5. Am I missing something? In general, the architecture of Amazon HD is not "bit perfect" friendly though playing natively on the R5 looks to be correct.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #2,458 of 4,410
Amazon HD in many instances does resample / upsample on many platforms. I fed my iphone to an external DAC and everything seemed to work properly, but I don't think that is the case with Windows. On the HiBy R5 the files are fed natively at the proper rates. I have no idea what happens if you send the files outside of the R5 (in my use case there is no point to that).

Seems like most of these questions are somewhat independent of the R5. Am I missing something? In general, the architecture of Amazon HD is not "bit perfect" friendly though playing natively on the R5 looks to be correct.
My suspicion is some of the files from Amazon do not exist in that bit depth or rate- they are simply too old to have been recorded with that quality.

Jun 17, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #2,459 of 4,410

Above post says it's always 192/24 which would make sense as it's the highest Amazon goes to Can you post it playing at different rates please I need to see this as I have not heard any posts on many places where anybody gets bitperfect for all formats.

Jun 17, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #2,460 of 4,410
Just got my partner to sign up for trial so I can check it out. It's not bitperfect and upsamples all to 192/24 as I said garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back