R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Jun 5, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #2,341 of 4,421
Is this purchased tracks or downloads for offline playback?

I just tried downloading one of my hires purchases and one hires from streaming for offline playback. Both work perfectly fine can stream and still be downloading to card and it doesn't drop a beat. I am using a good Samsung class 10 card.
Hi. Thanks for investigating.
They are purchased downloads. I don’t stream music.
I could not find a Samsung card that’s 512gb and higher than class 3. Recommendation?

Jun 5, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #2,342 of 4,421
Hiby Link with my R5 and iPhone X just isn't working for me. I followed the connection instructions, and each device can see each other, but just won't connect to each other. The phone indicates for only about 20 seconds that it's connected to the Hiby, but the Hiby won't connect to the phone - "connection failed" each time. Any ideas?

Jun 5, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #2,343 of 4,421
I could not find a Samsung card that’s 512gb and higher than class 3. Recommendation?
No need to look for a higher class, class 3 transfert speed is 104mb/s (max), it's already largely above what you need...
e.g. Flac file @ 192 kHz and 24 bits is 5.5mb/s.....

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #2,344 of 4,421
I only went for 256 my library not that big and I stream more than local playback sorry.

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #2,345 of 4,421
No need to look for a higher class, class 3 transfert speed is 104mb/s (max), it's already largely above what you need...
e.g. Flac file @ 192 kHz and 24 bits is 5.5mb/s.....
He's using uncompressed which is bigger at 9mb/s but still should be within the limits of the card though.

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #2,346 of 4,421
I use the "regular" Samsung and Sandisk cards and have not had meaningful problems related to card speed. I use plenty of hi res FLAC and SACD ISO files. I did have to replace a Samsung card and a PNY card under warranty due to corruption issues but that was a different problem. And they were legitimate cards, not phony but stuff happens. It is hard to get warranty replacements approved by both Samsung and Sandisk; so be aware of that. They make you jump through all kinds of hoops.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #2,347 of 4,421
Yeah could be fake cards I suppose, lot of fake stuff out there. I got done an the Shure BT2 bluetooth adaptor. It's a bloody good copy and had me fooled until it failed to work on anything but SBC. Got a refund though and they never asked for it back so when I got a real one I compared them and it's amazing at how very very close it is to the original.

Jun 6, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #2,350 of 4,421
So how does that work? Uncompressed requires greater transfer rates but compressed requires greater processing power?
Shouldn't make any really although people constantly argue over the difference of uncompressed wav or Aiff to Flac due to the small increase in CPU to decode them. Never heard a difference myself. As for AIFF it's a Mac format so maybe it's not as friendly on Android? Never use it as not a Mac user only used flac or Wav as they are more universal.

Jun 6, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #2,352 of 4,421
I think the advantage of AIFF over WAV is that you can add cover art and other metadata. I stick with FLAC when possible.

I bought a Beck album in AIFF format from HD Tracks and could not get the first track to properly work when I converted to FLAC. Now I just buy FLAC from them.
I’ve long been in the Flac buying habit but some albums rate at kbps not much higher than 320 mp3 which bugs me. I have the storage space so gimme all the digits. Although, if I’m not mistaken, all the digits are still there with Flac but have to be uncompressed somewhere in the playback process. Yeah, aiff over wav cuz of tagging

Jun 6, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #2,353 of 4,421
I’ve long been in the Flac buying habit but some albums rate at kbps not much higher than 320 mp3 which bugs me. I have the storage space so gimme all the digits. Although, if I’m not mistaken, all the digits are still there with Flac but have to be uncompressed somewhere in the playback process. Yeah, aiff over wav cuz of tagging
Flac is uncompressd audio the data rate has nothing to do with sound quality at all like MP3. Its essentially a zip file for audio which losslessly compresses the data only it's not reducing the audio stream itself

Jun 6, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #2,355 of 4,421
You can get wrong impressions of flac files from looking at "digits". Flac files are roughly 2/3 the size of the original wav or aiff files; so a reading of 14xx might show up as 9xx for sampling rate. This doesn't look that much more than a 320kpbs MP3 when you look at data on Foobar; but in fact its still lossless unlike MP3 etc. It is really easy to confuse compressed but lossless vs. compressed and lossy.

Any DAP can easily decompress the FLAC files and that should take up an imperceptible amount of extra battery life. It takes more processing for a hi bit rate Hirez file and that can run down the batteries a bit more; but not a ton more. SACD ISO processing does take a bit more processor power but I have never seen that be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back