R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Apr 17, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #2,026 of 4,410
Just pulled the trigger on the R5. Which means Hiby are bound to announce a much improved R5 Pro before it arrives.

Can anyone tell me if the Audible app works on the R5? What about podcast apps like Pocket Casts?

Newer phones have no headphone socket & I don't want to use bluetooth or any form of dongle - I'm hoping the R5 will service my listening needs.
I use smart audiobook player which has a free version. Audible should be available as well from the market store.

Apr 17, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #2,028 of 4,410
Just pulled the trigger on the R5. Which means Hiby are bound to announce a much improved R5 Pro before it arrives.

Can anyone tell me if the Audible app works on the R5? What about podcast apps like Pocket Casts?

Newer phones have no headphone socket & I don't want to use bluetooth or any form of dongle - I'm hoping the R5 will service my listening needs.

It's a full unrestricted version of the PlayStore and the device uses Android 8 - pretty much anything works

Apr 18, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #2,030 of 4,410
Just wondering why the R5 playbacks all MQA at the max PCM sample rate of the device not the MQA master sample rate? Seems odd.

Apr 18, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #2,031 of 4,410
So I want to apologize in advance if these questions are really stupid. I am coming from an Ipod classic and have zero experience using android based music players (even my phone)

How is the navigating your music collection? Is it cumbersome at all? If I download the hiby app on my phone will it give me an idea of how it will be on the r5?

How is the whole player getting hot thing? A nonissue?

And finally, reasons to get this player instead of the M11?

Thank you :]

Apr 19, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #2,032 of 4,410
So I want to apologize in advance if these questions are really stupid. I am coming from an Ipod classic and have zero experience using android based music players (even my phone)

How is the navigating your music collection? Is it cumbersome at all? If I download the hiby app on my phone will it give me an idea of how it will be on the r5?

Personally I find the Hiby app a bit meh. It's a responsive DAP compared to some but it's limited by the size of the screen as it's often difficult to use the android keyboard if you have fat fingers like me.

I use USB audio Pro for my local music, much better UI and you can have Tidal and Qobuz in it to. As for getting hot it does if it's streaming over WiFi but seems to be app dependant. It's not effecting anything at all other than just gets very warm. So far only using Roon seems to get it very warm but even then all works as normal.

Can't comment on M11 never heard it, but this DAP is excellent value for money and for me beats other mid priced DACs.
Can

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #2,033 of 4,410

I'd imagine the same. There's always folder browser.

Apr 19, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #2,034 of 4,410

The USB Audio Player Pro is much more responsive in my experience than hiby music but Hiby is ok
The player gets warm when playing high-res balanced on high output but absolutely no more warm than my Samsung phone when playing games or whatever
Warm not hot

The M11 is still limited by older android ... R5 at least uses Android 8
I've found my R5 a thoroughly capable and enjoyable player in the short time I've used it

Apr 19, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #2,035 of 4,410
Just in case if like me you use Streaming Services so WIFI and Sennheiser TWM1 so Bluetooth usage .. usually a nightmare combo for DAPS having tried a good few and returned said few.. the R5 stays connected to both as long as you do not wander too far away from the R5 , it works perfectly even at the extreme of my garden.. so if like me you use your DAP in the manner i describe the R5 is the answer.

Apr 19, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #2,036 of 4,410
Just in case if like me you use Streaming Services so WIFI and Sennheiser TWM1 so Bluetooth usage .. usually a nightmare combo for DAPS having tried a good few and returned said few.. the R5 stays connected to both as long as you do not wander too far away from the R5 , it works perfectly even at the extreme of my garden.. so if like me you use your DAP in the manner i describe the R5 is the answer.
Not found the bt to be very good myself breaks up to easily. It's the only Achilles heel I have found on it.

Apr 19, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #2,038 of 4,410
OK i find it stays connected to various devices over Bluetooth.
It's stays connected ok, just the power of it is low. If I put it in my jeans pocket it struggles to not keep dropping out when walking.

Apr 19, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #2,039 of 4,410
It's stays connected ok, just the power of it is low. If I put it in my jeans pocket it struggles to not keep dropping out when walking.
I'm beginning to wonder if BT devices are particularly unpredictable. I say this because my R5 has pretty damn good BT, but a FIIO btr5 that I had was lousy (sounded great while playback worked, but kept dropping out, no matter the locale).
Most folk reported good BT via the btr5 though, which is what's giving me pause for thought.

Apr 19, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #2,040 of 4,410
I'm beginning to wonder if BT devices are particularly unpredictable. I say this because my R5 has pretty damn good BT, but a FIIO btr5 that I had was lousy (sounded great while playback worked, but kept dropping out, no matter the locale).
Most folk reported good BT via the btr5 though, which is what's giving me pause for thought.
Yes i have a Yamaha WXA-50 that is purely a wireless streaming amp and nothing stays connected via Bluetooth .. Other than that The R5 maintains a strong connection.. to me at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back