R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Mar 17, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #1,846 of 4,410
Well, I was wrong about my random stoppages being linked to Spotify 'offline mode' as they still occur when offline mode is switched off in Spotify controls.

So far Hiby have been responsive, but I thought I'd worked out how to avoid this by switching 'offline mode' off in Spotify, so they probably haven't looked into it much.
I've just emailed them again to admit my 'cure' isn't working after-all.

The R5 is absolutely superb in all other ways that I can think of, so I'm determined to get this fixed as it's driving me mad.

The vast majority of my listening is Spotify. Much of it in offline mode.
I usually just choose a playlist and shuffle it.

Is no-one else suffering these unexplained halts in playback?

Does anyone else in this thread use Spotify?

I've updated Spotify to the most recent version, and the Hiby updater is telling me the R5 is up to date too (1.7).

I'm stumped :disappointed:

Can you give an exact list of steps to try and reproduce. I use Spotify so can test

Mar 17, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #1,847 of 4,410
Running Spotify version 8.5.48.1049 with Hiby V1.7G. No equalizer used.
No other apps running, but i have Amazon Music, Neutron, UAPP and Poweramp installed.
Downloaded the playlist "Massive Dance Hits" in high quality, then switched to "offline" mode. Storage is my 256GB sd card. WiFi/Bluetooth turned off
I didn`t get a single stutter/interruption on the 10 tracks i played back to back. Even tried jumping a few tracks .. flawless

Do you have enough free storage on your card? (Spotify > Settings > Storage)
What is your cache value at? Have you tried deleting your cache?
Can you give an exact list of steps to try and reproduce. I use Spotify so can test
Many thanks for your responses guys.
Sorry for the following wall of text.
My card is a 256GB Samsung class 10 U3 that I checked upon receipt with the H2testw utility.
It shows as having 196GB free.
Ive only used 5.26Gb of the 16GB internal storage so I'd hope that's plenty?

As to the steps to reproduce the problem, well, for a couple of days I was finding that having both the R5 Wi-Fi turned off (in Android settings) and the 'Offline mode' (Spotify settings) turned ON that playback from a large offline Spotify playlist (3700 tracks) was halting by itself every second song (this was reliably consistent over 25-30 tracks).
Yet when I turned the Spotify 'offline storage ' setting to OFF I got uninterrupted playback for around 15-20 tracks.
I got the same results 2-3 times in a row, that's a lot of tracks and it took me ages to complete even these few tests).
This led me to conclude in error that I could avoid the interruptions by simply not using Spotifys offline mode, but while listening again at the weekend, the interruptions happened again (less frequent, maybe every 5-6 tracks) while offline mode was OFF. So that's clearly not the issue after all.

I've tried many different head/ear-phones in case my cheap BLON cable was shorting or perhaps even the wires inside the shells, but they are all fine on all my other sources, and no amount of cable wiggling tripped an unexpected halt in the music.
BTW, the stoppages are just that, a dead stop, no skipping or stuttering, just a dead stop that can't be restarted with the physical play/pause button. I have to wake the screen via the power button before resuming play with either the hardware button or Spotify software play button, either of which work once the screen is awake.
Sometimes Spotify is minimised to the Android 'recent apps' window, sometimes it isn't, don't know why.

Since no one else seems to be suffering this (weird) fault I am concerned that it might be hardware related, and not merely stupidity on my part!
But I am stumped!
I haven't emptied my Internet cache if that's what you're referring to?
I've barely used the browser at all so I doubt there's much in there.
How would I clear the cache on the R5?

Mar 17, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #1,848 of 4,410
Many thanks for your responses guys.
Sorry for the following wall of text.
My card is a 256GB Samsung class 10 U3 that I checked upon receipt with the H2testw utility.
It shows as having 196GB free.
Ive only used 5.26Gb of the 16GB internal storage so I'd hope that's plenty?

As to the steps to reproduce the problem, well, for a couple of days I was finding that having both the R5 Wi-Fi turned off (in Android settings) and the 'Offline mode' (Spotify settings) turned ON that playback from a large offline Spotify playlist (3700 tracks) was halting by itself every second song (this was reliably consistent over 25-30 tracks).
Yet when I turned the Spotify 'offline storage ' setting to OFF I got uninterrupted playback for around 15-20 tracks.
I got the same results 2-3 times in a row, that's a lot of tracks and it took me ages to complete even these few tests).
This led me to conclude in error that I could avoid the interruptions by simply not using Spotifys offline mode, but while listening again at the weekend, the interruptions happened again (less frequent, maybe every 5-6 tracks) while offline mode was OFF. So that's clearly not the issue after all.

I've tried many different head/ear-phones in case my cheap BLON cable was shorting or perhaps even the wires inside the shells, but they are all fine on all my other sources, and no amount of cable wiggling tripped an unexpected halt in the music.
BTW, the stoppages are just that, a dead stop, no skipping or stuttering, just a dead stop that can't be restarted with the physical play/pause button. I have to wake the screen via the power button before resuming play with either the hardware button or Spotify software play button, either of which work once the screen is awake.
Sometimes Spotify is minimised to the Android 'recent apps' window, sometimes it isn't, don't know why.

Since no one else seems to be suffering this (weird) fault I am concerned that it might be hardware related, and not merely stupidity on my part!
But I am stumped!
I haven't emptied my Internet cache if that's what you're referring to?
I've barely used the browser at all so I doubt there's much in there.

have you restored factory settings?

Mar 18, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #1,849 of 4,410
anyone managed to use the r5 bluetooth with a note 10+?

the scenario im trying to get working is media playback on phone but audio channelled to r5

Mar 18, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #1,850 of 4,410

Do you get the same result downloading and going offline with one of the standard playlists from Spotify. I`m wonder if it is related to the number of tracks within the playlist that is causing your issue since you mention 3700 tracks?

Mar 18, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #1,851 of 4,410
IMG_20200318_144325.jpg

Mar 18, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #1,853 of 4,410
have you restored factory settings?
Good idea, thanks.
I'll leave that as a last resort though, as it would force me to re-download my entire Spotify offline collection which is currently >50GB, and my household data is capped by my provider, meaning it'll have to wait at least a couple of weeks as I've already downloaded it all once recently on top of our usual data consumption.
I'll spend a couple of weeks trying to eliminate any other causes first.
Do you get the same result downloading and going offline with one of the standard playlists from Spotify. I`m wonder if it is related to the number of tracks within the playlist that is causing your issue since you mention 3700 tracks?
I'll try some shorter playlists the next time I can sit down for a proper session (part of the issue is that I have to listen to a bunch of tracks before I'm certain there will be no unplanned stops, it's really random at times and sometimes I can be many tracks into a session before the player halts).
The reason I have such long playlists is that I arrange my music into genre's, and one main 'shuffle everything' list.
All these lists play fine on all my previous/other Android (and Windows) devices, which makes me think the number of tracks isn't the issue.
I admit I have just been testing with the longer lists though, so I'll check with some shorter ones too, thanks for the suggestion :thumbsup:

Mar 18, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #1,854 of 4,410

the scenario im trying to get working is media playback on phone but audio channelled to r5
Yeah - just go into the Bluetooth menu on the Hiby, turn it on and then click "Bluetooth Audio Input"
You can then pair a device to it .... when you play on your phone it'll use the Hiby

Mar 18, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #1,856 of 4,410
Hello, with the new 1.83 update did anyone else notice changes to MQA? Previously the LED would turn yellow when playing an MQA stream in Tidal or UAPP. Now it doesn’t and is instead green and the same file is playing at different sample rates between UAPP and Tidal. Any thoughts?

Edit: also just noticed no green or blue dot in UAPP showing the stream authentication.

C55946B0-92AC-440C-9480-461AF4F02700.jpeg89F13227-D6BF-460B-931D-7FC7FF2EE1B0.jpeg

i updated to 1.83, MQA through tidal i still get an orange light. playing the same file in tidal through UAPP however i get a blue light 44.1 sample.

Mar 18, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #1,857 of 4,410
i have tried many times to update but still geting error image when it goes into recovery

Mar 18, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #1,858 of 4,410

Replied earlier on how to do this. I did it on my galaxy S10+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back