R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Feb 12, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #1,666 of 4,421
Why would anyone who believes mp3 files sound as good as flac files buy a $400 DAP or bother to join a forum such as this?
Simply stating the facts.

Just to be clear my R5 has no compressed music on it at all. But you would be surprised how many Head-Fi participants use MP3 or AAC.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #1,667 of 4,421
Surprisingly, my R5 shipped the other day despite the corona restrictions!
Of course, it will probably languish in postal limbo a lot longer than usual, but that's to be expected, without getting too 'chicken little' here, lives are at risk!
Stay safe Hiby :mask:

Has anyone here heard the Seeds II?
I was sorely tempted to get them with the player despite a lack of reviews (and funds).

Feb 13, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #1,669 of 4,421
New R8 from Hiby now.

Attachments

• 86228618_1721397888002426_6897216800153403392_o.jpg
    86228618_1721397888002426_6897216800153403392_o.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 0
Feb 13, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #1,670 of 4,421
I'm loving the R5 but you know what would be really cool (and useful for me at least) is if you could plug it into a computer as a dac running the Tidal desktop application and it playback MQA.

Feb 13, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #1,671 of 4,421
I'm loving the R5 but you know what would be really cool (and useful for me at least) is if you could plug it into a computer as a dac running the Tidal desktop application and it playback MQA.
Since we are talking about compressed vs uncompressed, it is worth noting that Tidal is a bit of a marketing coup. It is actually a very good hi bit rate compressed algorithm. But it is still compressed.

Feb 15, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #1,672 of 4,421
[I often read this forum but I'm pretty sure it's the first time I write, so I'm sorry for any misconduct I could be responsible of!]

Premise:
I used to be a great fan of the Ipod Classic when I was younger, and still now I really miss the flawless 2 way sync between iTunes and the Ipod. It's something I never experienced again since I migrated to non-apple devices and Music Bee as music organizer: managing my (big) library between my DAPs and Musicbee was never smooth, I stopped taking care of my playlists and I moved to a primitive drag and drop.
As far as I know there's still nothing able to replicate Apple's beautiful 2-way sync, and not even a smooth one-way sync mechanism (where at least all my tags collected on Music Bee are properly interpreted by my DAP player and I don't have to duplicate tracks to have playlists)...

So, question:
I just bough a R5 - it should arrive in few weeks - and I'm wondering if there's a solution to my concern. How do you manage the communication between your computer and your player? As I wrote above I'd like to have my 40k tracks smoothly synced with the R5. Having playlists and 2-way tags matching would be great.

A possible solution could be migrating my library to AIMP or MediaMonkey on Windows and use their Android player on the R5... Is it a good idea? Replacing the default Hiby Player could affect R5's performances (batteries, audio quality etc.)? Alternative ideas?

(Thanks in advance guys, these are like chicken or the egg questions for me!)

Feb 15, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #1,673 of 4,421
I think there are a variety of apps that can sync playlists to Android DAP units. Fairly sure JRiver can do that, but I kind of gave up on the sync process with the exception of my iphone. I too used to enjoy my modded ipods video units.

Instead I let Amazon Music do my sync between various devices. Its not perfect but I find it good enough for my needs.

I also have created folders of FLAC and SACD ISO files that I copy between devices which is a poor man's sync I suppose.

Feb 16, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #1,674 of 4,421
[I often read this forum but I'm pretty sure it's the first time I write, so I'm sorry for any misconduct I could be responsible of!]

Premise:
I used to be a great fan of the Ipod Classic when I was younger, and still now I really miss the flawless 2 way sync between iTunes and the Ipod. It's something I never experienced again since I migrated to non-apple devices and Music Bee as music organizer: managing my (big) library between my DAPs and Musicbee was never smooth, I stopped taking care of my playlists and I moved to a primitive drag and drop.
As far as I know there's still nothing able to replicate Apple's beautiful 2-way sync, and not even a smooth one-way sync mechanism (where at least all my tags collected on Music Bee are properly interpreted by my DAP player and I don't have to duplicate tracks to have playlists)...

So, question:
I just bough a R5 - it should arrive in few weeks - and I'm wondering if there's a solution to my concern. How do you manage the communication between your computer and your player? As I wrote above I'd like to have my 40k tracks smoothly synced with the R5. Having playlists and 2-way tags matching would be great.

A possible solution could be migrating my library to AIMP or MediaMonkey on Windows and use their Android player on the R5... Is it a good idea? Replacing the default Hiby Player could affect R5's performances (batteries, audio quality etc.)? Alternative ideas?

(Thanks in advance guys, these are like chicken or the egg questions for me!)
I've been using MediaMonkey to manage my music library for years and it's a very powerful piece of software. It works perfectly with Android devices and the Hiby R5 is no exception.
Regarding the music player, Hiby Music has come a long way but it still has some serious issues. Personally I prefer USB Audio Player Pro or Neutron. Even if it's not possible to use UAPP's native driver it's still leagues better in terms of functionality.

Feb 16, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #1,675 of 4,421
I've been using MediaMonkey to manage my music library for years and it's a very powerful piece of software. It works perfectly with Android devices and the Hiby R5 is no exception.
Regarding the music player, Hiby Music has come a long way but it still has some serious issues. Personally I prefer USB Audio Player Pro or Neutron. Even if it's not possible to use UAPP's native driver it's still leagues better in terms of functionality.
Thanks for your answers, I'm really curious on how others manage their libraries and DAPs!

So... are you able to sync your MediaMonkey library with your device with UAPP as a player? I mean do UAPP recognizes your playlists, tags etc. created in MM? And did you tested MM player on android?

I'm even curious if AIMP works well for managing the flow computer/dap, seems the most used out there looking at the reviews on Google Play

Feb 16, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #1,676 of 4,421
I am using UAPP on my R5 and for some reason I think it sounds a bit better than the Hiby app when playing HiRes files. I'm sure it's bias but I was wondering if the app one uses can affect the SQ when the hardware is the same. Btw I'm using UAPP on my Samsung S10+ and it makes a huge difference in bypassing the Android driver.

Feb 16, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #1,677 of 4,421
So... are you able to sync your MediaMonkey library with your device with UAPP as a player? I mean do UAPP recognizes your playlists, tags etc. created in MM?
To all of these, yes. Same for Neutron.
And did you tested MM player on android?
Nope. Never felt the need to.

NOTE: MediaMonkey doesn't support DSD though. So these still need to be synced manually.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #1,678 of 4,421
Does anybody have any advice or experience with using the R5 when connected to a modern car via USB? I plugged it into a loaner Jaguar and received a message about needing some kind of Android auto app. The vehicle has carplay and talks just fine to iphones. I was hoping to play Amazon Music though the vehicle.

Unfortunately it seems most modern automobiles / cars no longer include auxiliary inputs which is how I normally was connecting the R5 when driving. My wife has a BMW and I am having a similar issue. Some any advice would be most appreciated.

I was able to connect my old Shanling M2S to the BMW; but the BMW was just treating the Shanling as an external flash drive. That unit does not have android. I could not even get that far with the R5. I did change the USB setting to file transfer but that did not help.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #1,680 of 4,421
Does anybody have any advice or experience with using the R5 when connected to a modern car via USB? I plugged it into a loaner Jaguar and received a message about needing some kind of Android auto app. The vehicle has carplay and talks just fine to iphones. I was hoping to play Amazon Music though the vehicle.

Unfortunately it seems most modern automobiles / cars no longer include auxiliary inputs which is how I normally was connecting the R5 when driving. My wife has a BMW and I am having a similar issue. Some any advice would be most appreciated.

I was able to connect my old Shanling M2S to the BMW; but the BMW was just treating the Shanling as an external flash drive. That unit does not have android. I could not even get that far with the R5. I did change the USB setting to file transfer but that did not help.
For Android over USB a car needs to support Android Auto. It's the same for iPhones and CarPlay. Typically modern cars come with either one or the other, or they are extras.
These are not essential in order to just play music though. You can just use an audio input port or bluetooth, though you'll have to control the player from the device and not from you car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back