R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Feb 2, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #1,651 of 4,410
Anyone know why some album covers don't display? i use both the HiBy app and UAPP and an image will display in one but not the other. i'm guessing its a software issue
Can't speak to those specific apps, but in general, players are a little touchy about album art image size. Check the size of those specific images. I've found 500 x 500 to be a safe size for every player/app I've used

Feb 3, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #1,652 of 4,410
Just swing by to say that I just bought a grey R5 for my MRT commute after auditioning the DX160 and Dethonray DTR1. It is absolutely a treat to my ears with faster UI than the Ibasso and while I love the sound of Dethonray, I cannot wrap my head around the lack of music meta data decoding. I paired it with Ibasso IT04 and Oriveti OH-500. Love the form factor and the punchy, dynamic sound!

Feb 5, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #1,653 of 4,410
I have the R5 and am trying to use the wireless transfer functionality. I've had no problem getting the files I want sent to the R5 but when I attempt to move them from the built-in storage to the 400GB SD card I have, of the five albums (all by the same artist, all sub-folders of the artist), only one transfers and then I get a message stating the operation could not be completed and to try again in Root Access Mode.

It doesn't make any sense at all, especially since it happens when I attempt to copy or move. I guess I could kind of see it being an issue with moving but copying? There should be no reason this isn't possible.

Has anyone run into this? I can't find anything on Google about how to get around this issue and I'd really like to be able to move the music to the SD card.

EDIT: I removed the SD card and changed the permissions to be 755. There should be absolutely no issue whatsoever any longer and yet this persists. And what's REALLY weird is that it actually moves a few tracks. One album moved over in its entirety. The next one, only track 10 moved. The third, tracks 2, 3, and 5.

This makes no sense and is really frustrating because this could and should be an awesome feature. Removing micro SD cards repeatedly is a pain in the dick and this would solve that issue entirely.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #1,654 of 4,410
20200207_112424.jpg

My commute setup, Hiby R5 and my all-time favorite Ibasso IT04, to replace my annoying true wireless earphones (plus no drainage of phone battery!). Perfectly light, capable, and enjoyable set! I am surprised the R5 could sound this good for its price. I don't stream music so the apps are redundant, but battery lasts very long this way. I highly recommend this DAP to those who needs a powerful device but fitting in your palm and pocket.

Feb 6, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #1,655 of 4,410
I have the R5 and am trying to use the wireless transfer functionality. I've had no problem getting the files I want sent to the R5 but when I attempt to move them from the built-in storage to the 400GB SD card I have, of the five albums (all by the same artist, all sub-folders of the artist), only one transfers and then I get a message stating the operation could not be completed and to try again in Root Access Mode.

It doesn't make any sense at all, especially since it happens when I attempt to copy or move. I guess I could kind of see it being an issue with moving but copying? There should be no reason this isn't possible.

Has anyone run into this? I can't find anything on Google about how to get around this issue and I'd really like to be able to move the music to the SD card.

EDIT: I removed the SD card and changed the permissions to be 755. There should be absolutely no issue whatsoever any longer and yet this persists. And what's REALLY weird is that it actually moves a few tracks. One album moved over in its entirety. The next one, only track 10 moved. The third, tracks 2, 3, and 5.

This makes no sense and is really frustrating because this could and should be an awesome feature. Removing micro SD cards repeatedly is a pain in the dick and this would solve that issue entirely.
I use FX File Manager to wireless transfer files and folders with no problems. All I needed to do is give access permissions to my SD card.
Might be a dumb question but are you sure your card is not a fake?

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #1,656 of 4,410
I use FX File Manager to wireless transfer files and folders with no problems. All I needed to do is give access permissions to my SD card.
Might be a dumb question but are you sure your card is not a fake?
Positive. I've never had an issue with it in the many years I've had it. I took it out of my LG V30 and put it in this since it's going to be my primary source of mobile music. Only certain files would copy over before throwing the error. It's very weird and I gave up wasting time. It was just easier and faster to remove the SD card and move music over that way. Oh well. Could've been a cool, helpful feature.

Feb 8, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #1,657 of 4,410
Positive. I've never had an issue with it in the many years I've had it. I took it out of my LG V30 and put it in this since it's going to be my primary source of mobile music. Only certain files would copy over before throwing the error. It's very weird and I gave up wasting time. It was just easier and faster to remove the SD card and move music over that way. Oh well. Could've been a cool, helpful feature.
Don't give up so easily. Try downloading a file manager app like ES or FX and see if the same problem exist. Good luck.

Feb 8, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #1,658 of 4,410
Hello everyone. I use TIDAL on my R5 (latest firmware 1.7G_20191209_1627), listen track in Master. It seems that TIDAL doesn't work in Master's on my player - I dont hear difference between Master and 320 mp3. But the orange LED is on. Need your advice how to check whether r5 give me true Master quality.

Feb 8, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #1,659 of 4,410
Sorry but thought i would send this out again. Anyone else experience all of their 44 khz files being displayed as 48 khz files being shown in the now playin screen? Is this a bug or is there a setting i need to change? I'm worried about this changing the quality of the sound (not bit-perfect)

Can anyone tell me why the now playing screen always shows music files to be 48 khz on all files that are 44khz? I've looked through the settings and can't find a setting that is off or anything. These are just flies playing randomly from the sd card. Any ideas?

Feb 9, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #1,660 of 4,410
Hello everyone. I use TIDAL on my R5 (latest firmware 1.7G_20191209_1627), listen track in Master. It seems that TIDAL doesn't work in Master's on my player - I dont hear difference between Master and 320 mp3. But the orange LED is on. Need your advice how to check whether r5 give me true Master quality.

do you hear a differnce on other devices? the difference is pretty sutble and remember Tidal will not change the quality right away, you have to wait until the next track for your selection to take effect.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #1,661 of 4,410
do you hear a differnce on other devices? the difference is pretty sutble and remember Tidal will not change the quality right away, you have to wait until the next track for your selection to take effect.
I dont have other hi res device, couldnt compare. Is there so tiny difference between 320kbps MP3 and Tidal Master that I cannot hear it without scrupulous listening?

Feb 9, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #1,662 of 4,410
I dont have other hi res device, couldnt compare. Is there so tiny difference between 320kbps MP3 and Tidal Master that I cannot hear it without scrupulous listening?

the difference is not huge. if you switch back and forth between the 2 rapidly the master sounds a teeny tiny bit fuller and smoother. this hobby is all about exaggeration. 1% improvement is made out to be 50%.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #1,663 of 4,410
I don’t stream music but I’d like to say that I do not consider the discernible difference between 320 mp3 and lossless to be subtle. This would be a perfect example of the kind of fly-in-the-bottle debates that have no objective answer. However, on an audiophile forum I would think the consensus is assured.

Feb 12, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #1,664 of 4,410
There are quite a few persons here that insist that high bit rate loss compression is just as good as uncompressed. Just as quite a few think analog is always better (vinyl); and a few think hi res is a scam vs. regular 16 bit 44 khz. So no there is no agreement at all.

With regard to the R5, I am getting better at navigating Amazon music. The key action is to remove and download again tracks with pops, clicks, etc.
Only a few tracks had issues and the whole experience is better once you clean up your personal database.

I had some loaner cars with Airplay and I was surprised how good even an iphone can sound with Amazon music over a carplay vehicle. So Amazon HD can definitely be a good source. A good source with a quiet and powerful amp such as the R5 can be a wonderful thing. The other trick is to go light on the MSEB EQ. A heavy hand on the EQ can make the sound harder to take (as noted by one reviewer).

Now its true that I have old guy ears and can't really hear above 15 khz (at least on a conscious level). Wtih that said I am a bit dubious of the reviews that claim this unit has less than ideal treble. The treble is not flashy but its just fine.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #1,665 of 4,410
There are quite a few persons here that insist that high bit rate loss compression is just as good as uncompressed. Just as quite a few think analog is always better (vinyl); and a few think hi res is a scam vs. regular 16 bit 44 khz. So no there is no agreement at all.

With regard to the R5, I am getting better at navigating Amazon music. The key action is to remove and download again tracks with pops, clicks, etc.
Only a few tracks had issues and the whole experience is better once you clean up your personal database.

I had some loaner cars with Airplay and I was surprised how good even an iphone can sound with Amazon music over a carplay vehicle. So Amazon HD can definitely be a good source. A good source with a quiet and powerful amp such as the R5 can be a wonderful thing. The other trick is to go light on the MSEB EQ. A heavy hand on the EQ can make the sound harder to take (as noted by one reviewer).

Now its true that I have old guy ears and can't really hear above 15 khz (at least on a conscious level). Wtih that said I am a bit dubious of the reviews that claim this unit has less than ideal treble. The treble is not flashy but its just fine.
Why would anyone who believes mp3 files sound as good as flac files buy a $400 DAP or bother to join a forum such as this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back