R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Dec 9, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #1,441 of 4,410
I have been having wifi issues especially on mesh networks when handed off to 5GHz.

Superuser1 had asked if it could be an ipv6/ipv4 issue. I told him I never turned on ipv6 and he said he meant that he thought ipv4 might work better. He got me thinking and after some reading I found reports of some apps not working well UNLESS ipv6 was turned on. So I turned IPv6 on just for the heck of it. That was on Friday 12/6. I have not any drops since then. So today I turned off iPV6 and browsing stopped within 5 minutes and then streaming stopped. As soon as I turned on IPV6 everything started working again. So right now it looks like IPV6 needs to be turned on to avoid interrruptions, especially on some mesh networks and routers.
I'm also thinking that those of you having Qobuz issues etc--or any wifi issue should try turning on IPV6 in your router settings. I hope it works.

Superuser1 thank you for taking the time to help me. I never would have even achieved the 3 uninterrupted days (and hope for more) if not for you.
Interceptor69--hope this works for your Qobuz streaming issue. Let me know.
And thanks to all of you that read my posts and to those others who tried to help me.
I am glad that in my foolish idea you found a ray of hope :D

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #1,443 of 4,410
Was about to post that Qobuz won't work at all now-I have restarted the device multiple times, logged into and out of the app multiple times and have been at my next door neighbors house using his Comcast 2.4 and 5G networks for the past couple hours. Nothing works. Joe, have you reported this issue to Hiby? If I could return the device I would-I agree with another user we shouldn't be used as testers. These devices should be thoroughly vetted before selling them to the public. I am surprised these issues are occurring as I assume a great deal of the hardware and software was used in the R6 and R6 Pro.

Dec 9, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #1,444 of 4,410
On a lighter, less consequential note, I’m finding that FiiO music app operates much more smoothly on R5 than Hiby music app. And I’m not detecting much, if any, sonic difference. Gapless works with FiiO, and menu operations/screen scrolling is far smoother. I reset device to factory settings to undo whatever OS neuroses I introduced by force stopping various Google store settings/background ops. Then I reinstalled FiiO music. Now if I can get FiiO link to work with R5 but haven’t tried yet (since reset). Hiby link is very disappointing as is Hiby music. I’m tempted to think R5 would be optimized to function with Hiby music but Hiby music/link sorely needs improvement.

Alas, I don’t stream music so I am spared Talmudic troubleshooting re aforementioned posts/issues.

Also, has anyone found screen protectors for purchase that closely fit R5? Stock are too tacky, reek of miscarriaged hydrocarbon chemistry, and swim with glue.

Thanks

Dec 9, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #1,445 of 4,410
Interceptor69,

I believe the comcast routers were specifically mentioned as a problem with the oculus quest as far as similar wifi problems like I had with R5. Did you try what I mentioned a few posts up about enabling IPV6 in your orbi router. On the advanced tab under advanced settings go into IPV6 and enable it. Then apply and wait for the change to go through and let me know if it helps you, as I have no wifi issues for 3 days since doing that and issue recurred right after disabling it. So I am keeping IPv6 enabled. Hope it works.

Dec 9, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #1,446 of 4,410
The Orbi app is so poorly implemented I cannot get access to the menus to change any settings. I usually have to boot up my laptop and try that method and even then I can't access those menus easily. Actually I feel like I've won the lottery when I gain access to those settings. Maybe when I have nothing else to do all day......

Dec 9, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #1,447 of 4,410
I would do it on the laptop. After login just go to the advanced ( not basic) tab and go down list to advanced. Orbi web interface can usually be accessed. at 192.168.1.1. Hope you can get in fast but if you need help just ask me. I usually use laptop or desktop as app is not organized as well and web access looks similar to lots of other routers.

Dec 10, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #1,449 of 4,410
would like to know which DAP is better in terms of SQ only...R5 or Activo?

Due to it's subjective nature, I can't say which is better but what I hear is slightly more forward bass and midrange on the activo but the R5 sounds like it has a bit more spatial cues and extension in the highs and that makes the R5 a little better for me. I guess that would be the soundstage. I enjoy them both but aside from sq, the r5 is a full android device so more apps work on it. The Activo can only load 4 streaming services to use at a time and a list of those are on their site and they must be downloaded on apkpure and then sideloaded onto Activo. Also there is no eq available in the player app over bluetooth (although since you are asking about sq I don't know if bluetooth is important for you or not). By the way the sideloading is not difficult, but I mention it as it may be important for you if you just want use a device that requires less set up. Sorry I am so bad at describing sound, I know some of the other folks on here are great at breaking that down. You should be aware that I acquired the R5, not because I did not like the Activo sound, but because I wanted a player that could use more apps as I do have apps for some bluetooth devices (headphones) and other apps I wanted to use.

Dec 10, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #1,450 of 4,410
When I pause the R5 and put it in sleep mode is the blue light supposed to blink? I know this was discussed earlier with the battery drain issues, but I can't find a definitive response. I've enabled all the Google Play and Services. Battery life is decent. I thought someone said the blue light should stay solid when you pause it. My blue light continues to blink when its paused. I'm on the latest firmware release. Any clarity on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #1,452 of 4,410
Due to it's subjective nature, I can't say which is better but what I hear is slightly more forward bass and midrange on the activo but the R5 sounds like it has a bit more spatial cues and extension in the highs and that makes the R5 a little better for me. I guess that would be the soundstage. I enjoy them both but aside from sq, the r5 is a full android device so more apps work on it. The Activo can only load 4 streaming services to use at a time and a list of those are on their site and they must be downloaded on apkpure and then sideloaded onto Activo. Also there is no eq available in the player app over bluetooth (although since you are asking about sq I don't know if bluetooth is important for you or not). By the way the sideloading is not difficult, but I mention it as it may be important for you if you just want use a device that requires less set up. Sorry I am so bad at describing sound, I know some of the other folks on here are great at breaking that down. You should be aware that I acquired the R5, not because I did not like the Activo sound, but because I wanted a player that could use more apps as I do have apps for some bluetooth devices (headphones) and other apps I wanted to use.

that's good explanation actually, it seems R5 would be better for more busy tracks like metal music, and the extra amp power should be enough to drive my hifiman h4xx without external amp.
and yes i do care about Bluetooth mostly for car use and sometimes for wireless IEMs, any issues so far or all working fine?
again thanks for the description, helped a lot.

Dec 11, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #1,453 of 4,410
Was about to post that Qobuz won't work at all now-I have restarted the device multiple times, logged into and out of the app multiple times and have been at my next door neighbors house using his Comcast 2.4 and 5G networks for the past couple hours. Nothing works. Joe, have you reported this issue to Hiby? If I could return the device I would-I agree with another user we shouldn't be used as testers. These devices should be thoroughly vetted before selling them to the public. I am surprised these issues are occurring as I assume a great deal of the hardware and software was used in the R6 and R6 Pro.
I have had my share of issues with running Qobuz on the R5. I don't have any trouble with the WiFi. Been mainly using a 2.4GHz WiFi connection.

Where I have had issues is with Qobuz freezing when I first launch it and try to play a track. The app opens fine, but when I try to play a song it shows the track but refuses to start the playback. I usually have to close it and restart it later and then it seems to start playing songs. I think where the issues for me occur is when I start downloading Qobuz tracks for offline playback. Qobuz seems to have issues when I cut the WiFi and try to play my downloaded tracks offline. I have had to reinstall the app several times and when I do that I lose all of my downloaded Qobuz offline tracks. From my experience it deletes the offline tracks from your SD card when you uninstall and reinstall. I don't think enough people have had Qobuz issues for Hiby Support to take a look at these problems.

Tidal for me has worked flawlessly. I can download tracks for offline playback and it works great. When I'm not connected to WiFi it plays downloaded tracks as it should. I find the UAPP app to play Qobuz tracks much better than the native Qobuz app. The only hitch here is that UAPP does not allow for offline playback so I must be connected to WiFi if I want to use it. So taking your music with you on the go where you don't have WiFi is a non-starter with UAPP. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Qobuz several times. Right now I am just using it without any downloading of offline tracks as this seems to mess up the playback after awhile of use. I am now testing it to see if it will work long term with out the initial freeze up when I first launch a track for it to play. It's a shame as one of the major selling points of the R5 (at least for me) is being able to download tracks to your SD Card for offline listening. For now I'm sticking with Tidal for all of my offline downloads/playback.

My Samsung Galaxy S10+ and LGV30 play Qobuz offline tracks flawlessly so I know these apps perform very well on modern Android phones. The major advantage of the R5 over my smartphones is the amp section which allows me to drive full size headphones like the HD650s. I also like having a dedicated music player just for listening and not being interrupted with e-mails and texts. I wish the R5 could handle Qobuz offline download and playback properly.

Otherwise, the R5 has been a great DAP for me and this community has been very helpful in configuration and setup/troubleshooting of the device. Can't thank Joe and this community enough for sharing all of their knowledge/experiences/insights.

Dec 11, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #1,454 of 4,410
Blazer39
I have had a good experience with the R5 and Bluetooth headphones. Once in a while the activo stutters for a split second on Bluetooth headphones but the R5 has been solid. The range might not be quite as long as my phone but I get out about 10 to 20 feet with no problems,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back