R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Oct 27, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #1,201 of 4,410
I have to agree with you re: the headphones/iems making the difference. I appreciate you taking the time and trying it out. May i ask what hp/iem you tired it with?

I agree that the headphones/iems make a huge difference. But dont count out the source. With the same headphones/iems a Sony WM1a and a Pono Player is a comletely different experience. Something like Shanling M5s vs. Fiio X7ii not so much....

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #1,202 of 4,410
I have to agree with you re: the headphones/iems making the difference. I appreciate you taking the time and trying it out. May i ask what hp/iem you tired it with?
I'm using Tin P1 with a balanced cable.
I agree that the headphones/iems make a huge difference. But dont count out the source. With the same headphones/iems a Sony WM1a and a Pono Player is a comletely different experience. Something like Shanling M5s vs. Fiio X7ii not so much....
He's specifically comparing the R5 with the DX160.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #1,203 of 4,410
Hey there, I am following your progress with the R5, because I am thinking about buying one, but I am currently getting blown away by how good my S10+ sounds with my iems. I appreciate you posting your impressions, and look forward to reading more of your thoughts. Thanks!
Let me drop my 2 cents
I have a lgg7thinq pretty good i had fiio x3II
I always thought fiio x3II sounded better because of dynamics power layering etc
For some reason never liked sound of isine 10 out of g7 even though i used to listen for hours on x3II(loved it)
Now hiby is way more detailed so much at first i thought there was some thing wrong with player as i was used to a warmer sound, also way more powerful (good clean power = dynamics and you hear it)all of this i am talking about is on SE
BAL cables still on the way

For sound stage i will say a lot depends on iem with kanas pro there is a bubble of sound like 15 -20 cms around head and i can go on and on about how i verified this

Imaging is great very precise

The only thing is this is the best player i had till now i dont have any thing bigger or similar to compare with

Oct 29, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #1,206 of 4,410
Random note. I hooked up my Ether C Flows straight to the 4.4 mm balanced out, ran between 50-70 on low gain and I was extremely impressed with the performance. The Ethers are extremely transparent and really demonstrated how excellent the detail presentation is on the R5.

Oct 29, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #1,208 of 4,410
Two minor issues with Hiby music player (for consideration/clarification):
Toggle for ‘play thru folders’ option doesn’t function—when it’s switched off folders play through to next album regardless.
Gapless playback operates irregularly—like old iterations of iPod software, a momentary drop out occurs between songs (on live recordings) but if I return to spot and play again it plays w/o drop out.
Appreciate feedback/troubleshooting.
Otherwise loving this device

Oct 29, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #1,209 of 4,410
Two minor issues with Hiby music player (for consideration/clarification):
Toggle for ‘play thru folders’ option doesn’t function—when it’s switched off folders play through to next album regardless.
Gapless playback operates irregularly—like old iterations of iPod software, a momentary drop out occurs between songs (on live recordings) but if I return to spot and play again it plays w/o drop out.
Appreciate feedback/troubleshooting.
Otherwise loving this device
+1 on the gapless playback there is a little drop when using .cue playlists too.

Oct 29, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #1,211 of 4,410
My Shuoer Tape (Low-Voltage Electrostatic Driver ) IEMs arrived and after a 24 hr burn-in, the transparency and realism of the sound are amazing.

Lionel Richie "Dancing on the Ceiling" - crowd screaming on the left is the clearest I've ever heard it...Richie walking from right to left channel sounds like you're in that same room as he walks across and the room sounds bigger than my other IEMs.

Michael Jackson - Thriller - Walking right to left and that howling wolf on the right sounds like it's outside in my yard.

This is on the "Slow Rolloff & Phase Compensated" filter which I found to be the most detail-oriented one.

R5 + IEM pairing is very revealing indeed.

Oct 29, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #1,212 of 4,410
My Shuoer Tape (Low-Voltage Electrostatic Driver ) IEMs arrived and after a 24 hr burn-in, the transparency and realism of the sound are amazing.

Lionel Richie "Dancing on the Ceiling" - crowd screaming on the left is the clearest I've ever heard it...Richie walking from right to left channel sounds like you're in that same room as he walks across and the room sounds bigger than my other IEMs.

Michael Jackson - Thriller - Walking right to left and that howling wolf on the right sounds like it's outside in my yard.

This is on the "Slow Rolloff & Phase Compensated" filter which I found to be the most detail-oriented one.

R5 + IEM pairing is very revealing indeed.

That's good to know.. Your font is too big :D

Oct 30, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #1,214 of 4,410
HiBy R5 and two other rivals (you know them :) ), my overview video

What does emotional mean? I'm sorry my vocabulary is abysmal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back