R10 Bass Boost Foobar EQ
Jan 23, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg
IronDreamer, can you make a convolver file with the opposite effect? I just want to reduce the bass on my Senn 650's feeded from DAC1's XLR. Thanks!

I COULD, but I doubt that would be exactly what you want, since at least IME the 650's have too much mid bass, whereas these files more address the low bass. Also not have the 650's to listen to with the file, it would be hard for me to put up a file that I am not confident makes that setup sound any better, perhaps even worse.

Jan 24, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #17 of 30
Perhaps someone here will know how the convolver works, as the guys on hydrogen audio haven't been responsive.

Let's say you start with an n channel signal, and want an m channel output.
You then have a convolution wav file with n*m channels?

Or does n=m and is each file subject to a mono convolution?

In that case is it one mono convolution applied to everything or is a n channel convolution with each channel of the signal convolved with the corresponding channel of the convolution.

And does n have to equal 2?

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR
Perhaps someone here will know how the convolver works, as the guys on hydrogen audio haven't been responsive.

Let's say you start with an n channel signal, and want an m channel output.
You then have a convolution wav file with n*m channels?

Or does n=m and is each file subject to a mono convolution?

In that case is it one mono convolution applied to everything or is a n channel convolution with each channel of the signal convolved with the corresponding channel of the convolution.

And does n have to equal 2?

The files I have used so far are all mono. As far as I know, each channel of the output is convolved by the mono file. This gives the same effect to both channels, but preserves full stereo seperation (a loss of which would be very easy to notice with R10's). I don't know if you can have a stereo or more impulse file, or if convolver will work on 3+ channel playback, but my guess would be no, and yes respectively.

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #19 of 30
Strange. I've played around a lot with the convolver, but it always seemed to sound worse than the standard graphic equalizer. Maybe I'll try it out again.

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
Strange. I've played around a lot with the convolver, but it always seemed to sound worse than the standard graphic equalizer. Maybe I'll try it out again.

It all depends on how high-quality the impuse file used is. If you create an impuse file in a consumer-grade program with an 8-band eq, than it will likely sound like poo. In a pro-grade program with a 20 to 30 band or parametric eq, than it will likely sound better. Remember garbage in = garbage out.

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #21 of 30
Do one with a bass boost for the PS-1.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #22 of 30
I had great luck using the Foobar equalizer with the Qualia 010, so I'll have to give this Convolver a shot too (I remember wishing that the equalizer had more sliders for finer tuning).

My equalizer settings were ones I arrived at without listening to music: I used a test tone generator to listen to all the frequencies available in the Foobar equalizer. I then adjusted each equalizer slider based on the volume I was hearing (with the 010 and my ears) at each frequency (reducing loud frequencies so that they more closely matched the quieter ones).

I was surprised by what I heard when I listened to music with my settings: the mid-range was much more pronounced (almost HE90-like), yet the highs and lows still had that amazing detail I've only heard in the Qualia headphones.

I posted my results somewhere here, but one has to keep in mind that these are EQ settings for both the Qualia and my ears, so they may not work for everyone. I sent them to NeilPeart to try while he had ayt999's Qualia headphones, and I remember him saying that they improved the way the headphones sounded to him.

I think digital EQ is a very good thing! Another huge advantage for computer-as-transport users.

Jan 25, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #23 of 30
I prefer more straightforward-looking (but probably more complicated in implementation) 'go by feel' equalisers.

I use the Algorithmix Orange/Red PEQ suite with j.River Media Center. I get nice results with the O2 / SRM-717 and even the 007t.

I pity the fool who says O2's can't do bass
biggrin.gif

(thinking about it, they would probably be the sort of blinging headphones that Mr. T would go for)

Jan 27, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I prefer more straightforward-looking (but probably more complicated in implementation) 'go by feel' equalisers.

I use the Algorithmix Orange/Red PEQ suite with j.River Media Center. I get nice results with the O2 / SRM-717 and even the 007t.

I pity the fool who says O2's can't do bass
biggrin.gif

(thinking about it, they would probably be the sort of blinging headphones that Mr. T would go for)

Does this EQ work with Foobar?

I've been playing with the Convolver impulse files created by Iron Dreamer with my floorstanding speakers. Bass would be too much for "normal" floorstanding speakers, but my speakers are actively biamped with separate amp for bass, and in certain purer configurations, my bass amp has less gain than treble/mid amp. Very, very nice. 8dB boost 30 Hz truly changes the entire presentation, soundstagin, hall ambiance and "air." Most noticeable change is the MUCH more midrange robustness even though there's no EQ above 80 Hz.

IronDreamer, I don't have CoolEdit Pro but have CoolEdit2000. Is it possible to create similar impulse files using CoolEdit2000? I'm badly in need of a Convolver Impulse file similar to the one you made, but to end in 8dB boost at 20 Hz instead of 30 Hz, and 3dB less boost on the Right Channel due to room asymmetry...

Jan 27, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
It all depends on how high-quality the impuse file used is. If you create an impuse file in a consumer-grade program with an 8-band eq, than it will likely sound like poo. In a pro-grade program with a 20 to 30 band or parametric eq, than it will likely sound better. Remember garbage in = garbage out.

how does using an impulse file differ or have an advantage over using an EQ (in the case you had more bands to play with on Foobar)

Jan 27, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Does this EQ work with Foobar?

I've been playing with the Convolver impulse files created by Iron Dreamer with my floorstanding speakers. Bass would be too much for "normal" floorstanding speakers, but my speakers are actively biamped with separate amp for bass, and in certain purer configurations, my bass amp has less gain than treble/mid amp. Very, very nice. 8dB boost 30 Hz truly changes the entire presentation, soundstagin, hall ambiance and "air." Most noticeable change is the MUCH more midrange robustness even though there's no EQ above 80 Hz.

IronDreamer, I don't have CoolEdit Pro but have CoolEdit2000. Is it possible to create similar impulse files using CoolEdit2000? I'm badly in need of a Convolver Impulse file similar to the one you made, but to end in 8dB boost at 20 Hz instead of 30 Hz, and 3dB less boost on the Right Channel due to room asymmetry...

Does Foobar support VST/DirectX Hosting now? If so it will work. If not, no it won't.

Jan 28, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L

Hmm, the problem there is that the EQ in this program only goes down to 30Hz as its last control. I guess we need to find a wave editor that goes down to 20Hz and below! I haven't used CE2000, but I'd think it would be similar to CEP, so you'd be able to make impulse files, just not necessarily with as much control as you'd like.

Apr 19, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #29 of 30
yeah, i'm still learning about being an audiophile... i already did a search using 'convolver' as the keyword and can't really find much info on it. what is it exactly? what does it do? and what's an r10? an amp? soundcard? headphones? i also downloaded the file posted earlier and 'played' it through foobar but i have no clue if it did anything.

Apr 20, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #30 of 30
R10 is a headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back