R.E.M. on DVD-A
Oct 5, 2002 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
I realize DVD-A doesn't get a lot of play here at Head-Fi, but it's as good as SACD, (take it from someone with electronics that play back both formats). It's been claimed that DVD-A has no good titles, but the R.E.M catalog is being re-mastered on DVD-A. starting with their latest, "Reveal", which is out now. Their classic, "Automatic for the People" is due next. We can only assume that other titles from the R.E.M. catalog will follow.

Who says there are no good titles on DVD-A?

Mark

Oct 6, 2002 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 5
When I went to Amoeba Records in Hollywood, there was a rather considerable sized rack of DVD-A titles, with many new popular artists. The SACD shelf, on the other hand, was barely populated, and the only relatively recent recording available was a Jeff Buckley SACD.

DVD-A will probablly win out because it can contain video content, which can allow artists to insert various promotional materials and videos, etc. as a value added promotion for their music. Plus, it has name recognition from using the DVD monkier. That being said, since SACD uses a new type of encoding format different from PCM that seems to be better quality, I think that studios may well switch over to DSD format mastering for long term high quality archiving purposes, produce DVD-A PCM transfers for normal mass market media, and for certain popular titles and audiophile markets, produce SACD versions.

Maybe.

Oct 6, 2002 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 5
Are you sure you saw a Jeff Buckley SACD? Was it "Grace"? I was not aware it was available on SACD. If so, I'm gonna get one.

Mark

Oct 7, 2002 at 7:05 AM Post #5 of 5
My mistake! It is actually Jeff Beck (just goes to show you how carefully I follow musicians with my name.......
frown.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back