RØDE NTH-100 (new studio headphones)
Apr 14, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #46 of 77
Reading/watching reviews, the general impression I'm getting is that this is basically a closed HD650. Extremely detailed mids, rolled off sub-bass, veiled highs.
Not nearly as lush and smooth sounding as the HD650. Actually, I never got the whole "Sennheiser veil" thing. The HD650's don't sound that way to me and the HD600's definitely don't. I always assumed most of the people who described Sennheiser's headphones that way were coming from Beyerdynamic DT770's or something like that which to me have painfully elevated and etched sounding highs. When I heard the NTH-100 for the first time, I understood what people meant by "veiled." These sound to me like I'm listening through a thin curtain of fabric.

Apr 14, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #47 of 77
Reading/watching reviews, the general impression I'm getting is that this is basically a closed HD650. Extremely detailed mids, rolled off sub-bass, veiled highs.

It isn't anywhere close to that. If I compare to my HD600 it has substantially more bass, with a waaaaaay more attentuated treble.

This is my EQ, targeting something closer to HD600 (which I would consider mostly neutral).

Preamp: -4.5 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 37 Hz Gain -1.2 dB Q 1.14
Filter: ON PK Fc 71 Hz Gain -5.0 dB Q 0.54
Filter: ON PK Fc 425 Hz Gain -1.4 dB Q 1.17
Filter: ON PK Fc 1625 Hz Gain 3.1 dB Q 1
Filter: ON PK Fc 3820 Hz Gain 2.7 dB Q 3.38
Filter: ON PK Fc 4200 Hz Gain -1.2 dB Q 3.35
Filter: ON PK Fc 6700 Hz Gain -3.9 dB Q 10
Filter: ON PK Fc 7598 Hz Gain 7.5 dB Q 7.16
Filter: ON PK Fc 8500 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 4
Filter: ON PK Fc 15000 Hz Gain -4.4 dB Q 0.5

eq Curve looks like this (with Preamp turned off to show peaks in red)

Snag_2a3145.png

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #49 of 77
Not nearly as lush and smooth sounding as the HD650. Actually, I never got the whole "Sennheiser veil" thing. The HD650's don't sound that way to me and the HD600's definitely don't. I always assumed most of the people who described Sennheiser's headphones that way were coming from Beyerdynamic DT770's or something like that which to me have painfully elevated and etched sounding highs. When I heard the NTH-100 for the first time, I understood what people meant by "veiled." These sound to me like I'm listening through a thin curtain of fabric.
I don't know, I get it. Try giving something like an AKG K702 or K712 a spin. That's some ultra-detailed highs that are in no way painful or fatiguing, and my HD6XX is nowhere near as resolving up there.

And, I mean, this isn't a complaint, just an observation. I love both my 6XX and K702. But being familiar with both, I 100% get what people are talking about when they say the 6-series Senns' highs are veiled.

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #50 of 77
I don't know, I get it. Try giving something like an AKG K702 or K712 a spin. That's some ultra-detailed highs that are in no way painful or fatiguing, and my HD6XX is nowhere near as resolving up there.

And, I mean, this isn't a complaint, just an observation. I love both my 6XX and K702. But being familiar with both, I 100% get what people are talking about when they say the 6-series Senns' highs are veiled.
I don't doubt that people perceive the Sennheiser sound to be veiled. I just don't hear it that way. I used to have the AKG K701's and eventually sold them because I just couldn't listen to them for very long. I found their treble to be fatiguing for long listening sessions. There was too much micro detail in their presentation and I found it distracting. It forced me to focus on details in the recording and dragged me away from just enjoying the music. I don't think the Sennheisers are veiled, I just think that many other popular audiophile headphones are hyper-detailed in comparison. Everyone likes what they like, though. And that's cool.

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #51 of 77
I don't doubt that people perceive the Sennheiser sound to be veiled. I just don't hear it that way. I used to have the AKG K701's and eventually sold them because I just couldn't listen to them for very long. I found their treble to be fatiguing for long listening sessions. There was too much micro detail in their presentation and I found it distracting. It forced me to focus on details in the recording and dragged me away from just enjoying the music. I don't think the Sennheisers are veiled, I just think that many other popular audiophile headphones are hyper-detailed in comparison. Everyone likes what they like, though. And that's cool.
There's also synergy. Some headphones just don't get along with some music. So just a person's taste in music alone is going to heavily skew their perception of a lot of headphones.

Apr 18, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #53 of 77
Since the publication of my initial review, these have been shown to have a fatal defect on the headband adjustment mechanism. Proceed with caution.

Last edited:
headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Apr 19, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #54 of 77
I wrote a review for Allied Audio Collective about these.

TL;DR I love them. Despite being technically unimpressive (lots of front damping going on here) the tuning, build, and comfort are perfect for me.
Terrific review. Unvarnished, unbiased, detailed, informative. I tip my cap to you, man.

Apr 20, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #56 of 77
I wrote a review for Allied Audio Collective about these.

TL;DR I love them. Despite being technically unimpressive (lots of front damping going on here) the tuning, build, and comfort are perfect for me.
Very informative and detailed. Great review I love it! After reading the comparison with K371 I went ahead and searched for your review article on K371 but I found none. Did I miss it or you do not have a blog post on this?

Apr 21, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #58 of 77
Very informative and detailed. Great review I love it! After reading the comparison with K371 I went ahead and searched for your review article on K371 but I found none. Did I miss it or you do not have a blog post on this?
Never reviewed K371. Enough has been said about it that idk that it’s necessary. Overall, it’s Harman but with a few deviations (specifically in mid-bass and mid-treble) that make it not to my taste. Doesn’t stop it from being the safest closed back recommendation out there as far as sound quality, but the build is also quite poor too.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back