RØDE NTH-100 (new studio headphones)
Apr 1, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #17 of 77
Got them in.

Warm leaning. A little thick low-mid -mid-mids. Treble is all there but polite in nature. No nasty peaks.

The bass is enveloping and prominent. Good texture

It is slightly overly full bodied for my personal liking.

Staging is close, but has reasonably good depth.

It sounds a bit like regular near field studio monitors.

It has a pretty "black backround" that creates reasonable depth away from the center image.

At loud levels it sounds a little congested/crowded to me.

Apr 2, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #18 of 77
I just read FullBrights review on these and i'm a bit shocked. I hope nobody buys these and expect them to be what is written in that review. It is extremly misleading. These are good for the price but there is better at 250€ and much better at 350€. They play well withhin their price range but that's pretty much it.

Apr 2, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #19 of 77
I just read FullBrights review on these and i'm a bit shocked. I hope nobody buys these and expect them to be what is written in that review. It is extremly misleading. These are good for the price but there is better at 250€ and much better at 350€. They play well withhin their price range but that's pretty much it.
I agree, I have been tempted to try the NTH-100 basing myself on that review. At the end I decided not to buy them, and I am a bit perplexed too, after seeing solderdude review and measurements: it seems to be a warm headphone, with a roll-off from 7K up. From graphs it should be darker than a HD650. And distortion figures are not very good, also.

Apr 6, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #20 of 77
I agree, I have been tempted to try the NTH-100 basing myself on that review. At the end I decided not to buy them, and I am a bit perplexed too, after seeing solderdude review and measurements: it seems to be a warm headphone, with a roll-off from 7K up. From graphs it should be darker than a HD650. And distortion figures are not very good, also.
I would agree that it is a darker headphone, doesn't really sound to warm too me. My review is up!

Apr 6, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #22 of 77
My opinion of the Rode is closer to Fullbright's than many others. For example, if I had to choose between my LSA HP-2 ($849 US) vs the Rode nth-100 ($150), I would choose the Rode. It just sounds more balanced, and the timbre for the midrange is correct. This is a somewhat mid forward headphone, so if that is something you don't like then I'd avoid this one.

Again, it sounds great to me and performs well above the price it's selling at. That being said, I really only feel comfortable sharing my opinions on headphones after listening to it for at least a month as there are headphones that I own that I thought were great in the first few weeks but later I didn't like them as much.

Apr 8, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #26 of 77
It may be RØDE's first headphone, but not their first YouTube community engagement. An interesting difference is that instead of just the usual gang of headphone reviewers, most of the reviews are by creators - particularly ones who have highly visible branded gear. Of course this makes perfect sense given that they are the target audience, but interesting insofar as these folks are not used to reviewing headphones and often have a different perspective.

I've assembled a RØDE NTH-100 playlist which currently has 22 videos including the ones kindly posted here by @Tysun and RØDE's own NTH-100 playlist featuring the as-required-by-marketing shots of precision engineered pads being put over cascades of lustrous sound-blocking and seal-breaking hair.

My NTH-100 is busy breaking in with white noise provided by the built-in source in EasyEffects via the Topping E30 and L30 - combination which promises to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about my audio collection.
pq6Z7bD.jpg

I don't have a problem. I can quit any time I like.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #28 of 77
It may be RØDE's first headphone, but not their first YouTube community engagement. An interesting difference is that instead of just the usual gang of headphone reviewers, most of the reviews are by creators - particularly ones who have highly visible branded gear. Of course this makes perfect sense given that they are the target audience, but interesting insofar as these folks are not used to reviewing headphones and often have a different perspective.

I've assembled a RØDE NTH-100 playlist which currently has 22 videos including the ones kindly posted here by @Tysun and RØDE's own NTH-100 playlist featuring the as-required-by-marketing shots of precision engineered pads being put over cascades of lustrous sound-blocking and seal-breaking hair.

My NTH-100 is busy breaking in with white noise provided by the built-in source in EasyEffects via the Topping E30 and L30 - combination which promises to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about my audio collection.
pq6Z7bD.jpg

I don't have a problem. I can quit any time I like.
Thank you for the mention. I am very irritated by most of the review videos as like you said, they are podcasters/creators and they are not used to reviewing headphones. The results of this? Rubbish after rubbish reviews have been produced which tell us nothing about how they sound.

Those few review videos which talk about its sound in the language we are familiar with, have been shared by me or maybe some others too. Peeps can skip those videos that aren't posted as they are just waste of time. 15mins just talking about snaplock headband, cooling gel and just 10 secs on "oh they sound great".

- Hamster

Apr 9, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #29 of 77
Thank you for the mention. I am very irritated by most of the review videos as like you said, they are podcasters/creators and they are not used to reviewing headphones. The results of this? Rubbish after rubbish reviews have been produced which tell us nothing about how they sound.

Those few review videos which talk about its sound in the language we are familiar with, have been shared by me or maybe some others too. Peeps can skip those videos that aren't posted as they are just waste of time. 15mins just talking about snaplock headband, cooling gel and just 10 secs on "oh they sound great".

- Hamster
Dave (The Honest Audiophile) posted a video reviewing the sound this week. Looks like DMS is working on one, too, based on his recent Twitter activity.

I'm very interested in these headphones. Would be nice to have an easy-to-drive, closed-back set of fairly reference cans for $150.

Apr 9, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #30 of 77
After living with them for a week my biggest gripe is the closed in soundstage. I can get used to any kind of tonality but getting used to such a crammed soundstage isn't going to work for me in the long run. There are worse offenders in that pricerange but there is also much better. I wish transient response would be a little snappier too. Tonality-wise i have no complaints but after too many years on head-fi i find it tedious and useless to discuss tonality on an internet forum anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back