Qutest, Pontus, or Yggy Analog 2?
Jan 2, 2021 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

galileaux

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I've been planning an upgrade for my setup, and one of the elements I want to change is my DAC. Looking for something a bit more high-end, though still at/below $2.5K, and the three options that seem to pop up a lot at that price range are the Schiit Yggdrasil (specifically the Analog 2 version with Unison USB), the Chord Qutest, and the Denafrips Pontus.

I've seen a lot of reviews for all three dacs, and some very rare comparisons, to the point my head is spinning and I can't seem to settle on one of them. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with these, and would like to share how they compare to each other?

What I want out of my system is a more holographic soundstage, more separation between instruments, but at the end of the day I just want to sit down and enjoy my music. I listen to some orchestral stuff (film scores mostly), a bit of jazz, but mostly I like modern pop/rock music with female vocals (St. Vincent, Phoebe Bridgers, Solange, HAIM, etc).

My current setup is:
DAC: Chord Mojo
Headamp: Drop THX 789, Drop Cavalli Tube Hybrid
Headphones: Argon MK3, MDR-Z1R, Ananda
Integrated Amp: Denon pma-600ne
Speakers: KEF Q350
(Also looking to upgrade my integrated amp at some point this year)
Source is my PC running Roon Core, along with a RPi as a streamer (connected to the Mojo via USB)

Thanks all!

Jan 3, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #2 of 6
If you decide for Qutest, it is DS converter after all, 789 will be fine. Otherwise drop the 789.

Approaching R2R teritory... It comes to the biggest audio decision in your life, NOS? :)
Yes --> drop the Yiggy.

Addicted to R2R sound? Have a choice between NOS/OS?
Pontus is a good choice for orchestral works and mix of acoustic intruments and voice reproduction. A good companion is a tube amp (I can't comment on yours) or a SS pure class A with minimum feedback. A small or even zero feedback is a key for the performance, as Pontus use a passive I/V conversion. Energy of a ladder switching noise has to dissipate somewhere. It will hit most the first active stage, it is why 789 with nested loopback technology has no place there. Opamp with a hudge open loop gain always gives a problem when input signal has uncontrolled slew rates, as a multistage feedback loop is to slow, but a nested loopback double it.

Did you consider Audio GD DAC? There are number DSP options from a pure NOS (and no on-board DSP), to a choice of filters and 2/4/8xOS. A-GD also use a different design philosophy. It comes with ACSS link to the internal discrete zero feedback preamp. Even the basic model R2R-11 ($350) use this technology. The most of harmful energy is dissipated there. If you plan to upgrade your main amp, ACSS link can extends to the other device. Krell is using the same technology under a different name. There is another big player, I don't remember the name.

R-8HE is in your price range and offer the best ground loops separation having regenerative power supply, get a clock option. 2021 models come with a direct USB clock synchronisation. With a proper USB host configuration ladder use the internal fixed frequency precision clock, no PLL is required. Others still do PLL reclocking even it results in a higher jitter.

Alternatively a basic configuration of R-7 comes even cheaper, and gives an upgrade path to the DI-20HE and the external clock device. I am not expert in a TOTL solutions, ask Kingwa, his advice is always honest for the best SQ, not just generating sales.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #3 of 6
Qutest sounds "bigger" and more holographic on my speaker system truthfully, for multiple reasons I don't find it a synergistic match up on my desktop HP system. The Shiit Bifrost2 on the other hand has beautiful synergy with most of my HP equipment. The Yggy is a great piece and "better" than the BF2, but your amps may be holding you back a bit. I don't own any of your equipment so I can't speak from experience. But for example, 2015 Mac book pro > Roon > Matrix X-SPDIF2 > BF2 >Decware CSP2+ or SPL Phonitor X or ZMF Pendant > HP's all make for great combinations. The new Violectric amps w/ DAC built in may also be something for you to look at rather than just a DAC upgrade, a nice combo unit of different quality may be in order? Just some ideas, sorry, that was probably not much help...

Jan 3, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 6
If you decide for Qutest, it is DS converter after all, 789 will be fine. Otherwise drop the 789.

Approaching R2R teritory... It comes to the biggest audio decision in your life, NOS? :)
Yes --> drop the Yiggy.

Addicted to R2R sound? Have a choice between NOS/OS?
Pontus is a good choice for orchestral works and mix of acoustic intruments and voice reproduction. A good companion is a tube amp (I can't comment on yours) or a SS pure class A with minimum feedback. A small or even zero feedback is a key for the performance, as Pontus use a passive I/V conversion. Energy of a ladder switching noise has to dissipate somewhere. It will hit most the first active stage, it is why 789 with nested loopback technology has no place there. Opamp with a hudge open loop gain always gives a problem when input signal has uncontrolled slew rates, as a multistage feedback loop is to slow, but a nested loopback double it.

Did you consider Audio GD DAC? There are number DSP options from a pure NOS (and no on-board DSP), to a choice of filters and 2/4/8xOS. A-GD also use a different design philosophy. It comes with ACSS link to the internal discrete zero feedback preamp. Even the basic model R2R-11 ($350) use this technology. The most of harmful energy is dissipated there. If you plan to upgrade your main amp, ACSS link can extends to the other device. Krell is using the same technology under a different name. There is another big player, I don't remember the name.

R-8HE is in your price range and offer the best ground loops separation having regenerative power supply, get a clock option. 2021 models come with a direct USB clock synchronisation. With a proper USB host configuration ladder use the internal fixed frequency precision clock, no PLL is required. Others still do PLL reclocking even it results in a higher jitter.

Alternatively a basic configuration of R-7 comes even cheaper, and gives an upgrade path to the DI-20HE and the external clock device. I am not expert in a TOTL solutions, ask Kingwa, his advice is always honest for the best SQ, not just generating sales.

Thank you very much for your response - this was very informative.
What really started my search for a new DAC was learning more about R2R, so those definitely are more intriguing to me! I hadn't considered Audio GD before, but am going to take a closer look at their line-up, and especially the R-8HE and R-7. I also noticed they have a combo DAC/Amp unit, the R27, that looks promising.
I had a feeling the 789 wasn't going to cut it in all scenarios - thanks for confirming that.

When it comes to the Yggy, do you think that's out in general (in comparison to the other options), or only if I end up preferring NOS?

Jan 3, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 6
Qutest sounds "bigger" and more holographic on my speaker system truthfully, for multiple reasons I don't find it a synergistic match up on my desktop HP system. The Shiit Bifrost2 on the other hand has beautiful synergy with most of my HP equipment. The Yggy is a great piece and "better" than the BF2, but your amps may be holding you back a bit. I don't own any of your equipment so I can't speak from experience. But for example, 2015 Mac book pro > Roon > Matrix X-SPDIF2 > BF2 >Decware CSP2+ or SPL Phonitor X or ZMF Pendant > HP's all make for great combinations. The new Violectric amps w/ DAC built in may also be something for you to look at rather than just a DAC upgrade, a nice combo unit of different quality may be in order? Just some ideas, sorry, that was probably not much help...
Definitely very helpful, thank you! I wonder how a tube amp will fare when it comes to the headphones I have (since two are planars and one is low impedance dynamic), but I have definitely considered the Phonitor X before, so will keep that in mind as another point to upgrade.

Jan 3, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 6
Thank you very much for your response - this was very informative.
What really started my search for a new DAC was learning more about R2R, so those definitely are more intriguing to me! I hadn't considered Audio GD before, but am going to take a closer look at their line-up, and especially the R-8HE and R-7. I also noticed they have a combo DAC/Amp unit, the R27, that looks promising.
I had a feeling the 789 wasn't going to cut it in all scenarios - thanks for confirming that.

When it comes to the Yggy, do you think that's out in general (in comparison to the other options), or only if I end up preferring NOS?
Just for clarification, it can help rearching when broken in parts:
R-27 is based on R-8 DAC and Master 9 headphone amp. It can be confused with R-7.
R-28 is based on R-1 DAC and NFB-1AMP. It is the most popular model in the range due to a price/performance factor. The amp is weaker than Master series, but it shares the same A-GD sound properties and can still drive most of difficult shells on the market. Both R27 and R-28 can also be paired with DI-20HE. Whe using alone, get the best clock upgrade. It doesn't add much to the top.

About Yiggy, not sure. Shiit have no authorised dealer in South Africa. Neither Audio GD, we have to import both and looks like more South African like Audio GD products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back