Quoting in the Discussion Area
May 6, 2010 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

rawrster

Headphoneus Supremus

I can't for the life of me figure out how to quote since the switch. I see the single quote and the multi quote icon box under a person's post but whenever I click on them (whether single or multi) the page loads exactly like it is if I am just trying to do a reply. I see other people doing quotes so I know it is possible. I tried it under both opera and firefox and both produce the same result so I'm lost in figuring out how to quote.

May 6, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 12
When you click on the quote button, it will bring you to the reply box with the selected quote listed inside. The issue I see is that for whatever reason there is always two empty line bing inserted right on top of the quote massage.

May 6, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 12
^
Well that's the thing. I don't get that when pressing the quote button brings me to the reply area. It's just an empty reply box like a regular reply. My only very unlikely guess is that it could be an OS thing. I'll check it out with Windows sometime tomorrow.

May 7, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
^
Well that's the thing. I don't get that when pressing the quote button brings me to the reply area. It's just an empty reply box like a regular reply. My only very unlikely guess is that it could be an OS thing. I'll check it out with Windows sometime tomorrow.

I have that problem too, can we also have the word "Quote" on the button instead of the just the " symbol? It's only 5 extra letters and would make it easier to see.

I think quote defaults to putting the reply above the text you quoted, previously I'd write under the quoted text. If not, the system adds two < br > above the quoted text which means any quoted reply posted takes up more space than it needs.

May 7, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

I can't for the life of me figure out how to quote since the switch. I see the single quote and the multi quote icon box under a person's post but whenever I click on them (whether single or multi) the page loads exactly like it is if I am just trying to do a reply. I see other people doing quotes so I know it is possible. I tried it under both opera and firefox and both produce the same result so I'm lost in figuring out how to quote.

Have you enabled java?

May 7, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #6 of 12
Java, javascript, etc. everything that should be turned on is on. What I don't get is that if I press the quote button on the reply area a quote box shows up but nothing when I try to directly quote someone. Oh well. I guess until I figure it out I'm using that instead of the direct quote.

May 7, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
Java, javascript, etc. everything that should be turned on is on. What I don't get is that if I press the quote button on the reply area a quote box shows up but nothing when I try to directly quote someone. Oh well. I guess until I figure it out I'm using that instead of the direct quote.

This is quite odd and I'm guessing I'm one of the few who has this problem unfortunately. I'm able to do everything fine under Windows and using Firefox under wine to post this message and quoting works fine apparently. Using my regular system doesn't work unfortunately.

edit: I guess I just have to use this instead since it obviously works better on wine. Editing posts work like they are supposed to as well.

edit #2: I think I fixed it. Apparently it had something to do with my adblock so I just disabled that and I think that fixed it. Quite strange since it never happened with the previous head-fi. I guess I'll just use firefox for head-fi since I can't get it to work with opera.

May 7, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 12
I have the same problem in Firefox (with the add-blocks off). I can only reply to/ with the quoted text in Internet Explorer and Chrome.
Same for editing my posts. Irritating!

May 7, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #10 of 12
I kinda have it fixed but still not there yet. Quoting along with editing posts seem to work only when it wants to so sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It does seem like its is browser related however. I'm just going to go home and try all the browsers available and see which works best. It's a bit annoying but when I do find something that works it will be fine but no big deal. Quoting and editing aren't high on my priority list when coming here.  Also I couldn't find anything in the adblock filters that would block anything with that address bcpk provided.

May 7, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #11 of 12
I can quote OK with the button, but sometimes I can start my own text after the quote box and sometimes I can't.  For example, I hit the quote tested and could type a line and delete it after the quote box.  Then I deleted the text and started typing above the quote box  in response to another post, then couldn't for the life of me get the cursor to select an area to type under the quote box.  This is using Firefox 3.6.3.

May 7, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
The WYSIWG editor is |http://yui.yahooapis.com/*

I use firefox with AdBlock, NoScript, etc.

I initially had the same problem, which is why I asked if you had enabled js. With NoScript I had to enable the site quoted by bcpk (i.e. yahooapis, in addition to head-fi of course) to get quoting to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back