Quite confused about closed portables in $50-75 range
Jul 23, 2006 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

shesmylovernow

100+ Head-Fier
The KSC-75s were my old portables, until my dachshund made a meal of them. I've been using the HD-497s as a stop-gap, but they just aren't comfortable enough or sound good enough to warrant their hassles (10 foot cord, constant slipping, open sound).

I'm looking at the following cans:

Philips HP 460 ~ $45
K81DJ ~ $70
K26P ~ $50
ATH FC-7 ~ $60

I'll be using these to walk around the city and on the train, so isolation is very important. Comfort is also an issue. I really like what I've read of the HP460 and K81, but they both have very long cords. The K26P and FC-7 have short cords, but are (supposedly) less comfy and in the latter's case don't isolate very well.

I know that there are numerous threads on similar topics, but I can't quite gage which of these phones makes the most sense for me personally, based on the following criteria:

Isolation
Sound quality
Overall comfort/portability (cord length included)
Appearance (on-head)

Any input on the above from those who have used any of these cans would help a lot.

Jul 24, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 5
I previously owned the FC7. It's not that great a headphone. Overall a murky, dark sound. Better than stock mass-market headphones for sure, but not a landmark improvement. I wrote a review on them, you can search for it.

I'm not entirely satisfied with the K81DJ (yet) but that could change as I burn them in. But it does have a useful amount of isolation and has good sound quality for the price. Major caveat though is the comfort, the clamping force is like a head-vise!

Jul 24, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 5
I am familiar with the two AKG phones. I am wearing my newly bought k81s as I type and really love these cans. The Isolation is good but not IEM good. However I find it better to remain partly in the world esp. with portables, so for me its perfect.

It will tune out people talking (or screaming hysterically) and most subway sounds, but not car horns for instance.

I actually think the k26 seal is a bit better but is also less comfortable, and I must say has a very low sound quality. Everything is boomy bassy crappy tastic if you ask me.

The sound quality with the k81s is very good, I am happy although not quite up to like the sr60s.

I say go with the k81s, that is my cents worth, good luck

Oh, and in addition (edit) they look super hella nifty on my noggin!

Jul 24, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 5
i'm a big fan of my K81DJs. i recently took them with me on a new york to cali trip and was pretty impressed with the isolation while on the plane. i didn't have to jack up the volume much at all. i also think they sound terrific - especially after the pad removal. you will most likely have to work on the headband as most people feel - as did i - that they clamped too much. now i find them comfortable with just the right amount of pressure.

Jul 24, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 5
Another vote for the K81DJ. I've have the K26P as well, but can't vouch for the others you listed.

Sound is very good for the DJs. I think the mids are a bit recessed, but they respond to EQing beautifully. Yes, the chord is long, but get yourself a sumajin smart wrap or some other cable management device and you're all set.

As far as the clamping force, they were a little too snug for the first week or so, but they've loosened up quite a bit since then and feel great. Also helps if you give the band some good tugs in the wrong direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back