quietest DAP for sensitive IEMs like UM2
Oct 4, 2007 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

wind30

New Head-Fier
hi people,

I have a pair of UM2s and I like it very much but unfortunately it hisses with my creative zen. I thought to post a thread here for DAP recommendations.

Basically I am looking for the quietest DAP out there, flash based, prefably lighter than my creative zen 60g. nice screen for video is not necessary but a simple LCD for managing playback will be fine. (no shuffle) Amplifier combo is too heavy for me.

Please don't make any recommendations unless you have a pair of sensitive IEMs like UM2 or UE5pro and has been troubled by hiss b4 as hiss is VERY headphone dependent.

From the other threads, some recommendations are the panasonic sd card player and zune (both of which are not available locally here)

Personally I have tested the new samsung Mp3 and it is better than my creative zen. I also heard the cowon D2 is not bad.

thanks a whole lot. BTW, which of the ipods has the least hiss. I heard the new shuffles are terrible. Is the old 1GB ipod Nana good? I can pick up one refurbished.

Oct 4, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #4 of 20
e3c is not as sensitive as um2 - that thing reveals hiss where there is no sound. i have only heard no hiss once - and that is when i used it with my sharp md player and md recorder (both from 2004).

every other player from every company hisses and some like (ipod shuffle 1g and 2g and iriver products) hiss like death.

you can add an amp, but then bye bye portability.

Oct 4, 2007 at 11:20 AM Post #5 of 20
I tested the following ipods with my UM2's at the apple store and here is how I would score them best to worse:

160 Classic
Nano
Touch

I also went the the sony style store to try the A818 and it had horrible hiss.

I think the new classic is the best I have heard in regards to hiss.

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 20
I use the ATH-CK7:

Shuffle 1G/2G=Massive Hiss

D2=Not very noticeable but there is a slight hiss

Kenwood MediaKeg=Very very slight hiss

Oct 4, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #8 of 20
the resistor often will not only get rid of hiss but also hi or lo frequencies and dampen the output. you have to trade off here.

i have the d2 and i can say that... for the um2, it was not listenable for me. at volumes of less than 10 (with um2 i never went over 10), at all volume levels, noise was present even with music playing - too disturbing.

after switching to atrio m5, i found that the hiss was less present but still annoying, but bearable.

um2 really needs an amp to level the field - but every amp will hiss with um2. sorry abou that - they just are too sensitive for portable use unless you use md

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #10 of 20
afphreak,

I have a similar DAC/Amp combo MiniAudio MAD-01. It is the original design that iBasso upgraded to the present D1 to include a USB port and other opamp and DAC enhancements.

UM2 hisses like crazy but also sounds extremely good. I use a shure attenuator to lower the noise floor.

Oct 4, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 20
I thought that iPods had hiss with Shure E500 and Westone UM2.
Kenwood players aren't ideal with VERY sensitive IEMs. Too much hiss. Samsung Z5 and T9 players are known to have almost no hiss.

Oct 4, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Samsung players are known to have almost no hiss.

The samsung u3 flash player is a good example FOR hiss
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk and Coffee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The samsung u3 flash player is a good example FOR hiss
biggrin.gif

Sorry, I meant the Z5 and T9, but obviously forgot to write it.
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veggie_Musician /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the Sony A8xx and UM2's are a match made in heaven - sound great together - I hardly notice a hiss on mine

heard the sony A8xx yesterday and confirmed there is hiss. The hiss I am talking about is not noticeable at 95% of the time. only when the music goes very quiet then you notice it. I find it slightly softer than the zen but not much.

I also heard a modded ipod with tomahawk. That has no hiss or at least very very little.... it is only the second source I have heard with no hiss. The other being the sony u8g.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back