Quiet listening with IEMs
Dec 19, 2008 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

canadiandude

Head-Fier
When I listen to my music at work with my new westone 3's I find that I am using the lowest volume setting (HP out, 4th gen iPod) and I would still like the volume to be a little bit quieter. I want to get an amp to connect to a LOD for the 4G but I was unsure if minimum volume should be much of a concern for me if I would rather not use the attenuator included with the westones.

I would most likely buy an amp with a multi-selectable gain switch as I would be driving full sized headphones such as A900 and GS1000

Dec 20, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 8
Everything in the signal path affects the SQ. The question is whether it is better or worse for the OP than his current situation - since he has the attenuator, he's in the best position to tell us.

Dec 20, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 8
I have an in-line attenuator (75 ohm) built by EFN which I have used in the past. I do not think I can detect a difference in sound quality. Here is a picture:

PtoScablebyEFN.jpg

Dec 20, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 8
I found that the in-line attenuator with my TF10s works generally well. It may be my imagination but it might *slightly* attenuate the treble... although on the other hand you'll never hear any hiss or line noise with that thing on!

Dec 20, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 8
I have the same issue with Shure E500 and Xin Supermini III amp. I started a thread on it. It makes the Shures darker sounding which is NOT what they need.

I don't know of a solution unless you want to change amps or as suggested have someone build a quality one.

But IMO it does affect the sound quality slightly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back