Quiet Drives: DVD/CD-RW, Recommendations
Feb 6, 2006 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Audio Redneck

Spaceman Spiff
Help!

Ok, the computer I set up for Mrs Redneck this past Christmas is great except for one small problem: the Compaq CD burner sounds like a jet engine. I would like recommendations for both DVD and CD burners that are quiet. Feel free to use this as a gripe thread if you have one you really don't like.

I'll edit in the part number/oem for the Compaq drive in the next few days.

Thanks.

AR

Feb 7, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 5
I have a couple of Lite-On burners (812S and 1633S) and they're both very quiet writing CDs or DVDs and reading DVDs. They get a bit jet-engine-y reading CDs at full speed, but I hardly ever do that anyway.

Feb 7, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 5
I though I'd chime in with this: The reason your not getting many replies is because people simply do not know the answer. There are a few quiet drives but nothing definitive. I myself was looking for a drive a while ago and ended with a OEM Pioneer DVR-110D which is now discontinued.

Even SPCR doesn't have any definative information about drives. If you check out the forums you may get some information about drives, but unfortunatly no anser. Just ideas. Good luck with the hunt.

Feb 7, 2006 at 9:03 AM Post #4 of 5
It's too bad there is no clear cut winner for a silent dvd/cd drive out there as im sure it would sell great.I think that is the last piece of hardware left to swap out in my quest for the silent pc but considering it does not get used as much i am not in a rush.

If you find one that is be sure to post back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back