Quiet [cheap] Computer Power Supply Units (PSU)?
Nov 30, 2005 at 8:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sumone

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone know of any decent power supply units whose fans are pretty quiet? There is something really wrong with my computer, there's an audible buzz that is usually fixed with a couple of taps on the case of the computer....I'm attributing it to the PSU cause with the case off, the hard drive & processor weren't the ones making the noise. Even when it isn't making the buzz sound, the general "sound" of the computer is if just turned on the air conditioner!

Any PSU + (microATX) Case combos would be nice too. I'm tired of always having to replug my PCI expansion cards back in every now and then cause the the case was oddly made. Cheap...like under 50 bucks.

Edit: oops, thought I was in Computers-as-Source...move if necessary.

Nov 30, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 14
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page6.html

A lot to learn from that site in silent computing
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 14
Just got this one from a tip at fatwallet. It's utterly quiet, having a single huge 140mm fan.

directron_1872_386987793

btw it's also dropped my mobo temp almost 9 degrees, and my cpu temp about 5.

Only my cpu fan and gpu fan now make noise. Next step for me is a zalman fanmate 2 to slow down the cpu fan. With this new psu pumping loads of quiet airflow, I believe I can slow down the cpu fan and still maintain a good temp.

-Dan

Dec 1, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I have a Seasonic S12 330watt PSU, not as quiet as my Antec Phantom 350, but it was a lot cheaper.

-Ed

Agreed. Definately high quality power supplys too. I use a Seasonic S12 500watt in my computer.

Dec 1, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
Agreed. Definately high quality power supplys too. I use a Seasonic S12 500watt in my computer.

I'll third the Seasonic. They're not the cheapest, but they're bloody good supplies. Quiet, too.

Dec 1, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I have a Seasonic S12 330watt PSU, not as quiet as my Antec Phantom 350, but it was a lot cheaper.

-Ed

I use the same, Before I had a thermaltake truepower one and I hated it, it was sooo loud. the seasonic is not only built better but basically quiet (I can hear the hum of my vid card fan and proc fans a tiny bit, the loudest thing is my hard drive by far!)

also, not only is this a sturdy PSU it also lowered my case temps around 5 degree C and my proc 3 Degree C
icon10.gif

Dec 2, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #10 of 14
Also, what is the general power rating I should be looking for? All the devices hooked to my computer:

- AMD Athlon xp processor
- 3 hard drives
- 1 dvd/cd burner
- av710 sound card
- sblive sound card (mutual-exclusive installation with the av710)
- expansion video card w/composite tv-out (in addition to the onboard vga; so I can have the TV=left screen,monitor1=middle screen,monitor2=right screen)
- usb devices: wireless keyboard/mouse

How much power should I be looking for? I pretty much just use my computer for listening to music.

The thing is I'm pairing a loud PSU with a poorly constructed case. So does anyone know any case+psu combos that fairly quiet?

Dec 2, 2005 at 11:13 AM Post #11 of 14
Antec Sonata is a good psu+case combo.

Antec P150, P180 are also quite cases but don't come with a psu.

Dec 2, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #12 of 14
AMD AXP? You can probably slide by easily on 350W or even less. Just try to find one from a reliable builder with even-handed amperages across all three main voltages.

Antec P180 is nice and quiet. Not so nice and cheap though, and a real PITA to work in if you have a lot of components (it'll test your cable-routing prowess to the max). Avoid lighter aluminium cases. They tend to rattle more than steel or heavy aluminium (like Coolermaster's Wavemaster).

Dec 4, 2005 at 11:42 AM Post #13 of 14
I vote for any of those PSUs + manual fan voltage regulation + sound shielding from the inner of the case. I spent a whole weekend sticking that stuff, cut my fingers numerous times
wink.gif
but the result is a normal cheap consumer pc with one difference - almost inaudible under normal appartment conditions in a quiet town.

As for the buzz fixable by tapping, that's the case vibrating because of the unbalanced fan. It either goes away after warming up or tapping. Quite common with cheaper PSUs.

Dec 4, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW
beware poor QC of seasonic..

What? The Seasonic has VERY GOOD QC!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back