Quiet but powerful electric fans with a stand? Open-back headphones dilemma
Aug 16, 2016 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Feilong4

Headphoneus Supremus
Curious as to what you guys have. 

I got this cheap like 20 dollar one that is unbranded and it's pretty quiet on the highest setting, but it's pretty uhh.. weak. Especially since my laptop is on most of the time and I got a tube amp running. Opening the window no longer works as the air outside is a lot more humid and heavy than in my room nowadays (surprisingly).

I don't know if there's such a thing as a totally or almost silent fan, but if there is and you have experience with one, please do share!

Aug 16, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 8

I got this cheap like 20 dollar one that is unbranded and it's pretty quiet on the highest setting, but it's pretty uhh.. weak. Especially since my laptop is on most of the time and I got a tube amp running. Opening the window no longer works as the air outside is a lot more humid and heavy than in my room nowadays (surprisingly).

I don't know if there's such a thing as a totally or almost silent fan, but if there is and you have experience with one, please do share!

Oh my gosh, what a perfect time to ask this question, as I feel 100% qualified to answer it as i just bought such a stand fan yesterday for my bedroom!

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HS-1655-QuietSet-Stand-Fan/dp/B004ND5FGY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1471391166&sr=8-3&keywords=honeywell+quietset+remote

You are looking for the Honeywell Quietset stand fans, they have 5 speeds plus a 1 to 8 hour timer. Black in color so it matches well with your black electronics, the blade is a plastic 3-bladed design, but the front and rear grill is made of metal. It can be put together without any tools and you can have it ready to go in about 10 minutes.

It can be adjusted up or down by up to 12 inches, and the fan/motor itself can be tiled/aimed up or down by several inches of travel. The unit can be set to oscillate or be static like any other stand fan. Mine also came with a remote and the infared sensor seems to be a good one cause it seemed to work at all angles. The first two settings, SLEEP and CALM, are so silent you can't even hear the fan with no headphones on. And you will start hearing the fan at the WHITE NOISE setting, but with a closed back headphone, you won't hear it at all.

On the REFRESHING and POWER COOL settings, the fan gets considerably louder, however, even at its full power settings, its still a quieter fan then the Lasko Cylone fans on their low setting! Thats one of the reasons why I chose this model, I wanted the 5 speed flexibility, plus the quietness for when I am sleeping, and the remote so I don't have to get out of bed to turn the fan on/off or change speed. I bought my fan at my local target, so if you have one of those, why don't you stop on by and save yourself the shipping you will have to pay online.

Hope I have helped you today :)

Aug 16, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 8

Oh my gosh, what a perfect time to ask this question, as I feel 100% qualified to answer it as i just bought such a stand fan yesterday for my bedroom!

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HS-1655-QuietSet-Stand-Fan/dp/B004ND5FGY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1471391166&sr=8-3&keywords=honeywell+quietset+remote

You are looking for the Honeywell Quietset stand fans, they have 5 speeds plus a 1 to 8 hour timer. Black in color so it matches well with your black electronics, the blade is a plastic 2-bladed design, but the front and rear grill is made of metal. It can be put together without any tools and you can have it ready to go in about 10 minutes.

It can be adjusted up or down by up to 12 inches, and the fan/motor itself can be tiled/aimed up or down by several inches of travel. The unit can be set to oscillate or be static like any other stand fan. Mine also came with a remote and the infared sensor seems to be a good one cause it seemed to work at all angles. The first two settings, SLEEP and CALM, are so silent you can't even hear the fan with no headphones on. And you will start hearing the fan at the WHITE NOISE setting, but with a closed back headphone, you won't hear it at all.

On the REFRESHING and POWER COOL settings, the fan gets considerably louder, however, even at its full power settings, its still a quieter fan then the Lasko Cylone fans on their low setting! Thats one of the reasons why I chose this model, I wanted the 5 speed flexibility, plus the quietness for when I am sleeping, and the remote so I don't have to get out of bed to turn the fan on/off or change speed. I bought my fan at my local target, so if you have one of those, why don't you stop on by and save yourself the shipping you will have to pay online.

Cool! Yeah, my room averages around 45dB on high about 3 ft with the fan on according to a cheap dB reader I bought, and looking at it now; my fan is actually pretty noisy especially since it's not all that powerful on high. Don't know why I said it was pretty quiet.

I'll definitely look for it on Target to see if they have any in stock! Otherwise, I got Prime so free 2-day shipping.

Thanks for your help!

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 8
Originally Posted by Feilong4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quiet but powerful electric fans with a stand? Open-back headphones dilemma

I have a noisy as hell Asahi industrial fan working with my 1.5hp window A/C - the fan is positioned so as to suck the air in from the A/C and throw it all the way around the room with higher static pressure and air flow. Most nights I switch on the audio system, then run the A/C and industrial fan full tilt. By the time I'm done taking a shower or whatever I can either shut off the A/C completely and just use the industrial fan, or lower the fan speed to low and sometimes evn the thermostat on the A/C, so the compressor and fan will be very quiet, and then switch off the industrial fan. The whole room will be chilly for hours after that and I just switch the fan on shortly before turning in, then switch the A/C off before I go to bed. If I'm awake long enough that it's getting warm before I go to bed, I just ramp up the thermostat again.

Note that at my desk I'm around 1.5m from the A/C and the fan is midway between my chair and the A/C, but I don't point it at my head/body (I point it at my laptop if I'm using it, or towards my bed to chill it) as the wind rush will be way louder if it's hitting the headphones. On those days when it's just too hot here I keep the A/C running full tilt on the thermostat and the industrial fan at low setting. 

I'm interested in getting the Noria window A/C unit but the problem with that is it won't fit in any of my windows, which have metal bars on them, which is the norm over here. I can cut off one section of the bars, but while the Noria frame can fit, so would a slim thief. I mean, I watch an episode of Law & Order SVU, and when the girl turned in my first though was "wow a creep or thief can totally crawl up or down that fire escape and into her window," which is exactly what happened. Anyways, if it actually fits your windows, check it out and it might be possible to order elsewhere soon.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kurt/noria-cool-redefined

Aug 20, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #5 of 8

You are looking for the Honeywell Quietset stand fans, they have 5 speeds plus a 1 to 8 hour timer. Black in color so it matches well with your black electronics, the blade is a plastic 3-bladed design, but the front and rear grill is made of metal. It can be put together without any tools and you can have it ready to go in about 10 minutes.

Just picked one up at a Target today. The "sleep" speed is actually pretty quiet. Very slightly audible with vocal songs and with my AD2000X (which probably isolate the least in the headphones I've tried so far). Pretty much drowned out with medium to higher volumes (~8 'oclock on Magni with AD2000X) . The "calm" setting is about as powerful as "high" on my old fan so that's a HUGE plus is how I can go for more power.

So far very satisfied! Thanks again!

I have a noisy as hell Asahi industrial fan working with my 1.5hp window A/C - the fan is positioned so as to suck the air in from the A/C and throw it all the way around the room with higher static pressure and air flow. Most nights I switch on the audio system, then run the A/C and industrial fan full tilt. By the time I'm done taking a shower or whatever I can either shut off the A/C completely and just use the industrial fan, or lower the fan speed to low and sometimes evn the thermostat on the A/C, so the compressor and fan will be very quiet, and then switch off the industrial fan. The whole room will be chilly for hours after that and I just switch the fan on shortly before turning in, then switch the A/C off before I go to bed. If I'm awake long enough that it's getting warm before I go to bed, I just ramp up the thermostat again.

Note that at my desk I'm around 1.5m from the A/C and the fan is midway between my chair and the A/C, but I don't point it at my head/body (I point it at my laptop if I'm using it, or towards my bed to chill it) as the wind rush will be way louder if it's hitting the headphones. On those days when it's just too hot here I keep the A/C running full tilt on the thermostat and the industrial fan at low setting. 

I'm interested in getting the Noria window A/C unit but the problem with that is it won't fit in any of my windows, which have metal bars on them, which is the norm over here. I can cut off one section of the bars, but while the Noria frame can fit, so would a slim thief. I mean, I watch an episode of Law & Order SVU, and when the girl turned in my first though was "wow a creep or thief can totally crawl up or down that fire escape and into her window," which is exactly what happened. Anyways, if it actually fits your windows, check it out and it might be possible to order elsewhere soon.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kurt/noria-cool-redefined

Woah, that Noria A/C looks pretty sweet. Didn't really thoroughly look at it, but did they say anything how you could fit it into a window on its side? My windows slides side to side so if it's strictly for windows that open vertically, then it probably won't work for my windows.

Aug 20, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 8
  Just picked one up at a Target today. The "sleep" speed is actually pretty quiet. Very slightly audible with vocal songs and with my AD2000X (which probably isolate the least in the headphones I've tried so far). Pretty much drowned out with medium to higher volumes (~8 'oclock on Magni with AD2000X) . The "calm" setting is about as powerful as "high" on my old fan so that's a HUGE plus is how I can go for more power.

So far very satisfied! Thanks again!

I knew you would like it after I gave you my honest review. Ya, I am really surprised how quiet it is on low, I've never owned a fan that was that quiet before. And even when you through the fan into power cool full on mode, its still quieter then most fans I've owned on the medium or high settings! If you ever wear a pair of closed ended headphones, you would never hear the fan on the lower settings, and depending on how good the closed back isolation really is, you might not even hear the fan on high. Like, my AC unit in my window makes a lot of noise, when wearing my JVC 1000's, I can barely hear the AC unit so ya lol.

Do you use the fan in oscillation mode or static? I prefer to use oscillation because it circulates the air, as well as keeping me cool. Just remember, when any fan you gotta oil it, and with oscillation fans, you got more oiling to do because of that mechanism, so once a year should be enough to keep its life going. :)

Aug 21, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #7 of 8

I knew you would like it after I gave you my honest review. Ya, I am really surprised how quiet it is on low, I've never owned a fan that was that quiet before. And even when you through the fan into power cool full on mode, its still quieter then most fans I've owned on the medium or high settings! If you ever wear a pair of closed ended headphones, you would never hear the fan on the lower settings, and depending on how good the closed back isolation really is, you might not even hear the fan on high. Like, my AC unit in my window makes a lot of noise, when wearing my JVC 1000's, I can barely hear the AC unit so ya lol.

Do you use the fan in oscillation mode or static? I prefer to use oscillation because it circulates the air, as well as keeping me cool. Just remember, when any fan you gotta oil it, and with oscillation fans, you got more oiling to do because of that mechanism, so once a year should be enough to keep its life going. :)

I like to use mine static because my room is pretty small and it gets warm really fast so I like the fan right at me. Yeah, I'll oil it when it starts crapping on haha.

Aug 21, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 8

Woah, that Noria A/C looks pretty sweet. Didn't really thoroughly look at it, but did they say anything how you could fit it into a window on its side? My windows slides side to side so if it's strictly for windows that open vertically, then it probably won't work for my windows.

I wouldn't bet on it working because the flanks of the Noria unit are extendable to fit as in the video. Putting it upright will have the weight of the unit on that extendable section. I suppose you can always DIY a bracket for it, past that the only thing that might be a problem are:

1. The convection design might not work the same way

2. Depending on the design of the coolant reservoir and pump, it might not work in that orientation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back