Quicksilver Audio Headphone Amplifier any opinions?
Nov 16, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #841 of 1,017
I find the Quicksilver/Meze Elite to be an excellent pairing. Before I got the Elite I had been exclusively using ZMF headphones. They were all 300-ohm dynamics and all sounded great on the Quicksilver. I’ve had multiple versions of the Verite Closed (Manchurian Ash, Olive, Epoxy Stabilized) as well as two different Autuers (Manchurian Ash and Blackwood) and even had a Cocobolo Aeolus for a short time.

The Elite sounds better than all of them in my opinion on the QHA. I feel like tubes make the already natural sounding Elite even more realistic in the vocals. Soundstage is pretty amazing on the Elite, and the QHA enhances that to become even more 3D, with excellent width and depth. I only have one other amp I’ve tried with the Elite, the SW51+. It does an adequate job, but the Quicksilver takes things up a notch in every category. I can’t help but think that the low output impedance on the QHA is a better match with the Elite vs the SW51+.

I plan on picking up the soon-to-be-released Magni Piety to use when I don’t want to worry about warming up the tubes or accidentally leaving the amp on overnight. It has some pretty good reviews from those that have tried it already. For $150, it’s not a huge gamble. I’m also very tempted by the DSHA3F that Nitsch is coming out with. I’ve always wanted a 3F, but I don’t know if I can justify a $2K+ solid state amp. Seems like overkill when I already like my tube setup so much.
I was planning on picking it up too, I am second guessing myself because I am thinking it's going to sound about the same as my Vali 1. But I am also working on getting a new DAC next week. The QS will be the only amp I want and I can't see myself upgrading in the future. But nothing looks appealing to me.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #842 of 1,017
I was planning on picking it up too, I am second guessing myself because I am thinking it's going to sound about the same as my Vali 1. But I am also working on getting a new DAC next week. The QS will be the only amp I want and I can't see myself upgrading in the future. But nothing looks appealing to me.
Most people think the Quicksilver trades blows with more expensive tube amps. Every time I’ve been tempted to “upgrade” I just sit down and listen again and realize I don’t need anything “better”. Throw in some nice NOS/vintage tubes and you should have an amp that can satisfy almost anybody.

I use a Bifrost 2 (OG) and have considered upgrading my DAC to something like a Yggy LIM, but I think everything sounds so good as is that I always decide to save my money.

Long story short, I don’t think you’ll regret purchasing a Quicksilver.

Nov 17, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #844 of 1,017
I've had this amp for a few weeks now, and it's growing on me. No, it's not the $200 dry-aged prime tomahawk, but rather the juicy $20 skirt steak you found at a hole-in-the-wall Argentinian restaurant that leaves you very happy with both the taste and what you paid for it. Call it a feel-good, guilt-free amp if you will.

For the less positive, it is extremely finnicky and sensitive to RF interference and ground issues. It was extremely noisy when I got it and I isolated the source of powerline noise to my computer monitor. I ended up using a spare isolation transformer from Furman that I had laying around at home and bam, noise was gone. Then I started noticing some crackles which I initially attributed to some of the tubes used but turns out I was wrong; it picked up RF interference from my iphone which now I keep a good 5 feet away from the amp.

Otherwise, I absolutely enjoy the way it drives my HD 800 S headphones. It has a great tube sound without smoothing over details. In the past I've owned many tube as well as hybrid amps, and a euphonic sound does come at the cost of loss of detail. The QS dials that back a bit, retaining just the right amount of tube character. Closest I can describe it is akin to a hybrid amp using input tubes and power jfet or mosfet output stage.

Nov 18, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #845 of 1,017
I normally listen (daily) to a particular combination of gear for a week or two, then change one thing. So I just put the QS back in. Immediate true timbre and texture of instruments, voices, and sounds that was almost, but not fully there with my WA6+. But the QS is not forward to do this. In fact, it “relaxes” into and out of dynamic swings effortlessly.

Startling touch and a heavenly match with Senn HD600/650. Control, grip, AND delicacy with LCD-3.

I‘ve bumped into a noise issue or two previously as some have described. But not now, new ”quiet room” finished, including two dedicated breakers, lines, Hubbell outlets for digital and analog respectively. Foot tapping has become foot stomping!:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #846 of 1,017
I normally listen (daily) to a particular combination of gear for a week or two, then change one thing. So I just put the QS back in. Immediate true timbre and texture of instruments, voices, and sounds that was almost, but not fully there with my WA6+. But the QS is not forward to do this. In fact, it “relaxes” into and out of dynamic swings effortlessly.

Startling touch and a heavenly match with Senn HD600/650. Control, grip, AND delicacy with LCD-3.

I‘ve bumped into a noise issue or two previously as some have described. But not now, new ”quiet room” finished, including two dedicated breakers, lines, Hubbell outlets for digital and analog respectively. Foot tapping has become foot stomping!:ksc75smile:
…air guitar / air drumming / air crowd surfing ?….🤪

Nov 26, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #848 of 1,017

Yes Quicksilver and HD6xx is so good it's really amazing combo.

Nov 26, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #849 of 1,017
Yes Quicksilver and HD6xx is so good it's really amazing combo.
It would be fun to do a BH Crack and QS comparison on the HD6 cans, but I don’t have a BH available these days.

Nov 26, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #850 of 1,017
It would be fun to do a BH Crack and QS comparison on the HD6 cans, but I don’t have a BH available these days.
I believe the BH Crack has 150 ohm output impedance and the QS is around 2 ohm therefore not an apples to apples comparison. Also different design topologies; OTL vs non-OTL.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #851 of 1,017
I believe the BH Crack has 150 ohm output impedance and the QS is around 2 ohm therefore not an apples to apples comparison. Also different design topologies; OTL vs non-OTL.
I’m, of course, aware of those, and other differences between the amplifiers. Not looking for apples, rather suggesting “it would be fun…” to have both available for these great cans. As we get our Seattle meets going again, I expect to do so. :)

Dec 16, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #852 of 1,017
Recently upgraded to a Dangerous Convert-2 Dac.
Truly blown away by the performance with this Amp and Dac combo. Thought I'd also add in a picture of my shelf:
PXL_20221217_032846208.jpg

Dec 16, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #853 of 1,017
Truly blown away by the performance with this Amp and Dac combo. Thought I'd also add in a picture of my shelf:
Is that a felinear power supply in the middle shelf…🤔🤣🤣?

Dec 17, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #854 of 1,017
Truly blown away by the performance with this Amp and Dac combo. Thought I'd also add in a picture of my shelf:PXL_20221217_032846208.jpg
What are those hefty tubes in the QS?

Dec 17, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #855 of 1,017
Truly blown away by the performance with this Amp and Dac combo. Thought I'd also add in a picture of my shelf:PXL_20221217_032846208.jpg
Nice volume pot on the QS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back