Quicksilver Audio Headphone Amplifier any opinions?
Sep 24, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #752 of 1,017
Mike told me the same thing years ago when I asked him about using something other than 12AX7s. I think I specifically asked about using 5751s, and he said to stick with 12AX7s. Many QHA owners seem to have had success with other tube types, but I’ve stuck to rolling only 12AX7s myself.

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #753 of 1,017
I think manufacturers have to be pretty conservative in tube rolling recommendations since they’re supporting warranty on the product, compared to what we individual owners can sometimes “get away with”. :scream:

Sep 25, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #757 of 1,017
I did not mean that as a literal balanced circuit - I mean this circuit is balanced by the tubes' gain to operate the way it does.
Whoops, my bad assumption...:triportsad:

Sep 28, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #759 of 1,017
I got the Gold Lion E84s in last weekend and boy what a difference. These sound much more mature and refined compared to the JJs. The bass is significantly tighter and the highs are tamed.

Though admittedly I'm a bit torn on them. While the JJs had loose bass and highs occasionally so sharp they made my ears bleed, the soundstage was much more holographic. Everything had a bit of echo in an exaggerated way. It was immediately noticeable, and it was fun.

The Gold Lion's refine the Quicksilver so much it sounds very close to my iFi Signature solid state, which somewhat defeats the point of getting a tube amp to begin with.

Perhaps it's the combo with the stock Mullards. I have Gold Lion's on the way for the 12AX7s as well so perhaps that'll sweeten the highs and soundstage more to differentiate it from my Signature.

I'm starting to understand why tube rolling is addicting. A great time financially to do it too...

Sep 28, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #760 of 1,017
I got the Gold Lion E84s in last weekend and boy what a difference. These sound much more mature and refined compared to the JJs. The bass is significantly tighter and the highs are tamed.

Though admittedly I'm a bit torn on them. While the JJs had loose bass and highs occasionally so sharp they made my ears bleed, the soundstage was much more holographic. Everything had a bit of echo in an exaggerated way. It was immediately noticeable, and it was fun.

The Gold Lion's refine the Quicksilver so much it sounds very close to my iFi Signature solid state, which somewhat defeats the point of getting a tube amp to begin with.

Perhaps it's the combo with the stock Mullards. I have Gold Lion's on the way for the 12AX7s as well so perhaps that'll sweeten the highs and soundstage more to differentiate it from my Signature.

I'm starting to understand why tube rolling is addicting. A great time financially to do it too...
Just wait until you start spending the big bucks on vintage/NOS tubes. It's a slippery slope!

Sep 28, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #761 of 1,017

The Genalex/Gold Lion 12AX7s work very well with their EL84s. If you can, get all cryo treated (Upscale Audio).

Sep 28, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #762 of 1,017

The Gold Lion 12AX7 will open it up. Excellent tubes. I have many NOS 12AX7 from Telefunken and on and the new GL are as good and better than many NOS.

Sep 28, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #763 of 1,017
The Gold Lion 12AX7 will open it up. Excellent tubes. I have many NOS 12AX7 from Telefunken and on and the new GL are as good and better than many NOS.
That's great to hear, now I'm doubly excited for them!

I also ordered the Brimer 12AT7s CV455s before I reached out to Mike and also ordered the 12AT7 Gold Lion's - even though Mike said not to use 12AT7s, is that likely because they aren't "optimal" given the amp specifications or is there a chance they can damage or shorten the lifespan of anything? I know little about tube amp design so it's tough to speculate what the impact could be.

Sep 28, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #764 of 1,017
That's great to hear, now I'm doubly excited for them!

I also ordered the Brimer 12AT7s CV455s before I reached out to Mike and also ordered the 12AT7 Gold Lion's - even though Mike said not to use 12AT7s, is that likely because they aren't "optimal" given the amp specifications or is there a chance they can damage or shorten the lifespan of anything? I know little about tube amp design so it's tough to speculate what the impact could be.
The amp is biased and setup for the specs of the 12AX7. When you dial it in, it will not be the right settings to get the most out of other tubes, even if they are close. I know this from having built my own amps and preamps. I prefer the GL to the Mullard in general. More bite to the sound, better 3D and the Mullards, for me, are too warm.

Sep 29, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #765 of 1,017
The 1/4" connector is pretty serious on the Quicksilver. Compared to everything else I have, it REALLY holds on tight, it takes significantly more force to plug and unplug my headphones, which I do ever time I listen.

It's tight to the point where I'm concerned about excessive wear to my connector ends. I have a pretty expensive cable and would hate to wear it.

Perhaps there is a good 6" extension that I can just leave plugged in so I have a "softer" fitting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back