[quickie] Leggo my eggo: Philips SBC HS900
Aug 7, 2004 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Damage

100+ Head-Fier
A quickie reivew of Philips own version of eggos: that is, they fold up like an egg, thus eggos. These can be easily had for $30 at your local hifi shop. Question is, do they make for a good portable cans? Not really, they have couple flaws out of the box and won't trump PX100s or Porta pros any time soon.

Portability, Comfort:
They fold up real easy, into an egg shape, thus eggos. They are also comfortable, though they feel just like the spawn of the devil V600. Not an austentatious start to be sure. The cord looks thin and flimsy and its durability is questionable. No velour or pleather here, just some cotton/poly/lycra blend fabric covering padding that are a little too thin, though maintaining their cleanliness should be much easier.

Aesthetics:
They look real snazzy, with white and translucent blue trim for the cans, and silver and blue for the frames. There is no metal parts anywhere, so again, if you're rough with your gear, durability is questionable.

Plastic feels a tad flimsy and thin.

Isolation:
Though they are classified as closed phones, IIRC, they really don't isolate that well. Better than PX100 or other open phones, but not by that much.

Sound out of box:
Trebles sounds pretty good, nice and fast, with a bit of harsh brightness thrown in for good measure. Somewhat reminiscient of the v6 or other Sonys... Hmm... It probably rolls off at the high ends somewhere, but I didn't or haven't noticed this yet.

Midtones have actually very little problems I could detect. However, vocals sounds very recessed and gets lost when trying to compete with the trebs and bass...

Bass, oh boy. Slow and muddy and flabby. Kinda like someone farting is how it reproduces bass with these. The volume of bass is fine, but they sound flabby so, it tends to make everything sound like a flab.

Soundstage is crowded, as if everything is focused around these cans. Not too impressive but the recessed vocals gets lost in there, so makes overall experience kinda dissapointing out of the box.

Burnination, 10 odd hours:
Bass tightens up a bit after 10 hours or so, and sounds much less flabby. But its still there, the flatulent bass, enough to have some here ripping these off in an instant I'd wager. Vocals sounds still recessed, but not so much as right out of the box.

Great for classical pieces and where there aren't too much vocals, where many midtone and treble instruments thrive, these thrive. They do pick up lot of details vs other cheap disposable phones, so they make these pieces enjoyable.

Strictly average at best. I'll let these burininate a little more and see if they change significantly. As of now, spend $20 more for the PX100s. Your ears will thank you.

Sep 17, 2004 at 9:05 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damage
A quickie reivew of Philips own version of eggos: that is, they fold up like an egg, thus eggos.

I always thought it was because the cups are egg shaped?

Sep 17, 2004 at 9:27 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by BowerR64
I always thought it was because the cups are egg shaped?

that's what i thought, too. afterall, eggs don't "fold" (that's what i get for having such a literal interpretation, i suppose).

Sep 17, 2004 at 9:38 AM Post #4 of 5
I used to have these. They are actually pretty nice for the price. I got them for 15$ on ebay and for that the soundstage was ok, better than on the Ksc-35 for example. However, as Damage noted in this short review: Where is the bass?
Further, the build quality is really really poor. Mine broke after 3 weeks of usage because of a little absence of mind. The joints are arranged in a very unsturdy matter.
Nevertheless, for 15$ this is still better than many other headphones for under 50$.

Sep 17, 2004 at 11:12 AM Post #5 of 5
I used to have these ones too, and i was pretty happy with the sound,
onlytought the bass was GRRREAT! but I guess that was because
i had only used the sort of cans that comes with the different
discmans and such
biggrin.gif

mine broke after a couple of months tho... and that`s when i began some
serious research for some quality cans and accidentally stumbled upon this
great forum... so i guess something good came out of it eventually
smily_headphones1.gif

(got some serious headaches after using them for a while tho...thanks to
the louse headband without any padding)

Now avaiting arrival of my HD25-1`s!!!!!! YEAH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back