Quick Vote: AKG 701 or HD600
Feb 4, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #31 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubbsbright /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to troll the DIY speaker forums at PartsExpress...their response graphs are all ruler flat compared to the graphs I've seen for headphones. I'm not used to seeing such dramatic peaks/valleys so I don't know what to make of them
confused_face(1).gif

Due to the nature of headphones, you can't design a ruler flat response curve and have them sound flat. You have to design around the problems making them have peaks and valleys so they sound flat when you are listening to them.

I vote HD600, but they are both so close that I would be happy with either phone.

Feb 4, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #32 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all, the graph you put is for a balanced k701... The k702 graph would have a better representation of the k701s sound than a balanced version. Second of all, those new graphs look nothing to me like how the k701s sound... The old headroom measurements looked more like what I hear from my k701s. Now, I could be totally wrong and it could be due to the lack of burn in on my k701s... I'll post more on that in a week.

As for the graph interpretations, you have to look at it as flat frequency response minus personal hrtf = accurate neutral and natural sound to one individual. Now, since we all have different earshapes, there is no one headphone that can mimic real life exactly for everyone wearing them. Even worse is that there hasnt even been a consistent standard for simulating real hrtf. Diffuse field eq is the best thing weve got so far. Diffuse Field EQ is what you have to factor in with those graphs (plus fletcher muson loudness curves and what ever other factors ex angled drivers to combine to get the right response). All that confusion and you still want to interpret if a graph is accurate or not? I say forget the graphs unless you are only reading them for comparison to other cans. Not as a basis of true to life accuracy

Very informative post!

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #33 of 63
Instrument seperation...finite detail 701/702. Overall warmth, bass finesse, HD 600. I owned the 702's. I own the 600.

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #34 of 63
Quote:

Bass on the 701 looks a littttle bit juicier, but I don't know what that hump at 10k means.

hd600 has a hump at 5k

both the senns have a valley at 7.5k

not sure what this means...

=573&graphID[]=63&graphID[]=683]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=573&graphID[]=63&graphID[]=683

This is a testimony to how effective it is to try to "read" a headphone. The bass on the 701 is definitely not "juicier." Exactly the opposite is true. Though the bass on the 600, with decent amplification (a good receiver or integrated will do the trick) is not boomy or out of control either.

Tim

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #35 of 63
Hence my post earlier on, why do all the newbs keep coming up with the graphs. If graphs were really that informative we could shut this forum down. People come here for recommendatons, for people who already have heard the headphones they might wanna buy, for people who know what they are talking about.

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #37 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hence my post earlier on, why do all the newbs keep coming up with the graphs. If graphs were really that informative we could shut this forum down. People come here for recommendatons, for people who already have heard the headphones they might wanna buy, for people who know what they are talking about.

haha
tongue_smile.gif
...the wife just read that over my shoulder and asked, "Are you a newb with a graph? OH NO, YOU'RE A NEWB WITH A GRAPH!!!"
/
Obviously some newbs won't be able to read graphs. Cuz, you know, they're newbs. Other newbs will try to balance opinions, recommendations and facts when making a decision. And a graph will easily tell you a HD485 is more bass heavy than a HD555...but you need to read some opinions to decipher if the quantity/quality of those low notes will suit you.

Fair?

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #38 of 63
Forget about the HD595,too muddy! with the HD600 you'll have a lot more authority and weight in the bass,and much better highs and clarity overall.They're also brighter though,but much better headphones for sure.I like AKG's sense of space,but they sound a bit "fake",I don't know how to express it better.

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #39 of 63
I don't get it... the HD600/HD650 and K701 are 2 completely different sounding headphones, how the heck could anyone be left wondering which to get? If you need to ask yourself whether you should get the K701, the K701 is not for you, end of story. Get the K701 only when you are sure that it's the sound you want, and when you know how to amp it properly.

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #40 of 63
Quote:

AKG K 701 : $250
Sennheiser HD600 : $300
or
HD595s : $180 (I've had and returned the 555s, I can't imagine they're much different)

First 3 posters that agree on a phone decide what I get.

About me:

1. *MP3s* I still listen to some pretty shady MP3s, I've outgrown most of the terrible 128kbps stuff but still listen to a lot of vbr and +/- 320kbps.

2. *BASS* I like reggae, dub, rock,...but haven't been too happy with with bass-heavy phones. HD497s are good for me right now, but the bassier HD485s were too much for me. HD555s were a little thin for me. I also tried the Beyerdynamic DT660s which had good bass but the highs were a bit much- which leads me to...

3. *HIGHS* I like the laid-backiness of the HD555s, they were on the fringe of being too laid-back- but I prefer that over brightness/forwardness.

(Brightness is a bigger sin that thin bass for me)

4. *AMPS* I'll run these off a receiver...dedicated headphones amps are in my distant future.

Based on the your source material, type of source and amplification......
HD600.
happy_face1.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #41 of 63
HD600 is a allrounder headphone, good for any kind of music and you can upgrade it with the detachable cable either

Feb 16, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #45 of 63
As to these graphs, they are a good source of objective information. If you add to it some knowledge and personal experience, remembering all these reviews of particular headphones, you can get the idea of how a particular pair may sound, at least to a certain extent, for there are many things graphs cannot tell, for example internal vibrations, acoustics et cetera.

By the way, you can choose nearly any of headphones suggested there if you know how to make use of parametric equalizer (even though the use of computer with all its pros and cons will be consequently unavoidable). On the other hand, it will be impossible to achieve K701-like soundstage without their specific construction, so you can get them and equalize their shortcomings. Final result? Outstanding sound with impressive soundstage.

Regards,

Ash

PS vvanrij is likely to discredit my statements and call me "troll", I am sorry for that but I cannot defend myself, especially since English is my third language :p
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back