Quick/thriftier replacement similar to IE-8 recommendations?
Oct 25, 2012 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

frankthetank

New Head-Fier

Hey all,

please help me out here. I recently lost my beloved IE8's in Vegas (what happens in Vegas...you know). I LOVED these IEM's! They were my child. Specifically, I loved the BASS (size & quality) and soundstage of these things. Now, Im going on a month long east cost trip and am in need of a quick replacement for when I'm touring around on foot that will work out best for me, as close to the IE8's as my price will allow. I emailed earphone solutions and they only recommend the Shure SE215's. At the moment, I can't afford another pair of IE8's, and am looking to spend no more than $200, preferably in the $150 range but will go up to $200 if it makes that much difference, if they get me that much closer to something resembling at least the bass of the IE's (I know itll be impossible to find that kind of wonderful sound stage in sub-$500 pair of monitors). I'm looking at the Shure SE215's, because, like the IE8's they are drynamic drivers. The 315's, are a bill more and are Armature drivers. I've never had any experience with any other IEM's aside from my Senheisers so I dont know what to expect from the Shures. Same thing with Westones. I've read all the reviews and such and still went with the IE8's, happily. I've been lead to believe that the westones would be more capable of highs/mids and not so much at the low bass (sub bass, especially). At my pricepoint I can only afford the Westone 1 or 2's (barely) and if the Shure SE215s are more capable at bass, more "closer" to what I liked about the IE8's, I should just stick with them, for now and save up for a new pair of the newer IE-80's. Just trying to find something I can afford at the moment, that may give me some semblance of what I enjoyed in the IE-8's (as close as I can get for $200, max).

Leaning towards the 215's but unsure about how much of a step up the 315's are, as well as the Wetone 1/2 or anything else.

EDIT: it never appealed to me to ask about the IE60's. Could get these for close to 200 on earphone solutions, also with dynamic drivers, only lacking tunable bass (which I always had at or near the max on the IE8's anyways) and obviously other "stats". Curious if they'd sound closer to the IE8's or be more "fun" than the Shures or anything else.

Cheers.

(Vegas is a cruel mistress)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back