Quick Take: Beyer DT-235 vs. Senn HD 238
Apr 10, 2010 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jant71

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently purchased a Beyerdynamic DT-235. I was curious about the improved version of the DT-231 which had always been a well regarded can. I also happen to have on hand the Sennheiser HD 238. Thanks to Joker for loan of the HD 238. Here is a brief comparison between these two lightweight cans...

P1010033.jpg

PRICE:
Google reports the DT-235 currently ranges from about $55 to $80 new and the HD 238 from about $69 to $99 new. Both can be had as low as in the $35-$40 range either used or refurb(for the HD 238).

EDGE : Beyer

PORTABILITY:
Both are small supra-aural cans with velour style pads. The HD 238 is a bit smaller and lighter. The Senn has a 4' cord while the Beyer sports an 8.5' cord. The Senn is open backed and offers little isolation and quite a bit of leakage while the Beyer leaks little and isolates some though not much. The HD 238 folds flat while the Beyer does not fold. Both have fairly long straight plugs. The Beyer has the thicker cable and stronger overall build quality.

EDGE : Even - Both present problems that seem to cancel each other out. Most likely up to user preference whether a lack of isolation or cable length is the bigger issue. The Beyer cable can be shortened or "turtled" to length while the Sennheiser's leakage/isolation issue is permanent. The Beyer is more robust and looks to hold up better on the durability front while the Senn has an edge in size/weight/folding flat.

COMFORT:
Both the Beyer and Senn have velour style pads that rest on the ears. The pads breathe and have no heat build up problems. The Beyer has a bit more clamping force but fits secure but not tight while the HD238 fits me more gently but still stays put well enough.

EDGE : Even - Both rate highly on comfort and I have no complaints about either one. Ear shape/size and head size may give a slight preference(HD 238 in my case) so it is really more dependent on the particular person. Both are winners on comfort compared to many portable phones out there.

SOUND:
Tested straight of four portable sources of varying signatures(neutral to warm) using various MP3 320kbps, FLAC, and Atrac(on a Sony type-S minidisc recorder).

Signatures:
The HD 238 is a warmer, darker can with more of a bass focus. The treble is rolled a bit on the high end. The infamous "Sennheiser veil" is present mostly on the low end frequencies. The bass is just a bit thick. Either designed that way to be drowned out in the real world or to lean more toward the consumer more bass sound. A departure from the PX 200-II which has tighter, cleaner, more agile bass. The frequencies are fairly well balanced and mids and treble are not recessed it is just the thickness in the bass that draws attention to it rather than it being forward.

The Beyer is different in trying to sound like entry level audiophile can. Balanced, open, and airy. No part of the spectrum draws attention from the others. It departs from the previous DT-231 in adding more treble extension which helps with the clarity. It is the crisper, clearer, tighter, and faster of the two.

Extension:
EDGE : DT-235 - The cans reach similarly down low but the Beyer has the Senn beat with treble extension.

Soundstage:
EDGE : DT-235 - The Beyer has both a larger soundstage, depth, and a more separated image.

Imaging:
EDGE : DT-235 - The Beyer has better placement within the image and tracks better front to back and left to right. The range of placing vocals/sounds either up front/intimate or further back/distant goes to the Beyer.

Detail:
EDGE : Again, DT-235 - The better clarity and treble presents more detail.

Speed
EDGE : DT-235 - As expected, the thickness in the bass slows the Senn down some giving the speed and PRaT to the DT-235.

Clarity/Transparency:
EDGE : Once Again, the DT-235

Basically the Beyer is a step up in the SQ department. Not a huge difference but fairly apparent in A/B-ing the two cans. The Sennheiser can be quite competitive, to my ears, when EQ-ing some treble to them adding some clarity and detail. They sound better with more neutral sources than warmer ones. The Beyer sounds better on all my sources but they get a bit cold with the most neutral. The Beyer sound similar to a more detailed, bigger PX200-II with a bit more bass. The HD 238 sounds more like an older model Senn small can with improved tone and timbre, tighter, and a bit more detailed sound(but a hint of the veil still remaining).

These are both good phones though the Beyer is the better one. Seems that a majority of etailers' sell the Beyer for around $60 which is worth it to me. The Sennheiser while a good can is seemingly overpriced. I would say to get it refurbed, used, or at least try to get them for less than $60 shipped.

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 17
add to that that the senns suffer from distortion. At least it was that way with the one I got. Others report that their hd238s are distorted too. A big thumbs down for senn on that one.

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 17
On the distortion, I believe I did hear it at times depending on source/file. On a quick double check, it actually seems fairly well covered up and less evident when used outside/not critically listening at home. Also not EQ'ing for added treble does keep it covered a bit. I guess it should be noted that depending on your gear you may well get some distortion. Another negative on the 238.

Having had the PX 200-II for a while, I can say that does not occur with that particular can. No veil or distortion on the PX 200-II.

Still, the HD 238 has pretty good SQ. More consumer style with the thickness and even some distortion. Really should not have the term precision in the name/on the box though. No, it certainly has not lived up to the expectations when first released. Much like the MX880, good but disappointing and overpriced.

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #5 of 17
Thanks for the review. I agree with most if not all of your assessments. I don't think you touched on the all important comfort issue though. For that, I also give the DT 235 the edge. While the HD 238 has a lighter touch, I find it needs to be pretty constantly adjusted, because the fit is not too secure, and it's therefore slightly annoying.

I like the HD 238, but I love the DT 235. It is probably my favorite in the under $100 category.

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review. I agree with most if not all of your assessments. I don't think you touched on the all important comfort issue though. For that, I also give the DT 235 the edge. While the HD 238 has a lighter touch, I find it needs to be pretty constantly adjusted, because the fit is not too secure, and it's therefore slightly annoying.

I like the HD 238, but I love the DT 235. It is probably my favorite in the under $100 category.

Yep, did leave out comfort. Comfort is pretty subjective(depending on ear/head size) but important. Safe to say that both are higher on the comfort scale. I find the HD 238 gets a very slight slight nod in fit/comfort. I seem to adjust the DT-235 a bit more.

I got the DT-235 for $35 but thought about grabbing the $33 refurb Senns. I made the right choice. They might be my under $100 favorite also.

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I wonder how the dt235 would compare to something like the dt440

I like the DT 440 more than the DT 235. Much more, but the DT 440 is just over $100. Being open, it has better soundstage obviously, but it also has better dynamics and is more fun sounding and slightly brighter overall to my ears, with superior detail. A most underappreciated headphone.

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 17
I like my dt440s too. the dt235 is also interesting to me because If I were to improve one thing with the dt440s, it would be to tame down a little of the brightness. It is not as bright as dt880s though which is a good thing in my book
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like my dt440s too. the dt235 is also interesting to me because If I were to improve one thing with the dt440s, it would be to tame down a little of the brightness. It is not as bright as dt880s though which is a good thing in my book
biggrin.gif

To me the DT 235 is less bright, but it is also not as refined as the DT 440. For fifty bucks though, it can't be beat in my book. An extremely solid headphone.

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #11 of 17
I've had the DT235 in my possession for a few days now (thanks, Jant!) and though I've been busy with some other cans I have to say that these are extremely underrated. I agree with Jant's findings - they pretty much wipe the floor with the HD238 in every way except maybe bass depth. To me the HD238 is worth $40, maybe $50 tops while the DT235s competes with the best of the best under $100 - the PX200-II, Yuin G2A, etc. I will admit that the Senns are much better looking and more portable, but when it comes to SQ there's really not much of a contest.

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #12 of 17
Strange how the DT231 was fairly popular and always mentioned as an entry level staple along with the SR60. Now the follow up DT235 seems to fall through the cracks and is nearly never mentioned. The DT235 should be more popular and highly recommended than they are.

They are a real keeper for me. While I liked the similar sounding PX200-II, I feel the Beyer is a bit better. A bit more soundstage, detail, and bass amount. I also feel the tone/timbre is a bit more accurate. I liked the PX200-II layering/placement within the image slightly more but the Beyer has a slight edge in overall SQ.

The HD218/228/238 seem to have come before whatever Senn discovered in R&D with the new PX models. The PX200-II deserves the term "Precision" in its' name more than the HD238 does!

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #13 of 17
A pair of Black DT-235 is on their way to me - got em off Amazon for 30€ including shipping. This is, to some extent, also thanks to this thread.
So, I've heard various opinions, how much sound do they really leak? On a scale of 10, Grados being a 1...
Also, are they very awkward to use on-the-go with their headband and long cable?

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #14 of 17
They don't leak much but they aren't silent. With Grados a 1 and the HD25-1 a 10, the DT235 is probably a 6-7. Cable is not too long, definitely not 11 ft like on my ATH-M30, and not very thick. Got it coiled up with a cable tie and it fits in my pocket fine with along with my dap. In terms of appearances they don't attract any attention at all. Very sober and no-frills aesthetics, akin to the HD25. Also the relatively small cups and stretchy bottom headband make them easy to wear around the neck, which is handy on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back