quick shure E500 question
Feb 3, 2007 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

abitdeef

Formerly known as ihatepopupads
Headphoneus Supremus
biggrin.gif
Hello, I am considering purchasing the shure e500's and wondered how they compared sonic wise to the ultimate ears superfi pro 5? I really liked the sound of them, but could never get a comfortable fit. I also have the shure E3's but I really don't like the sound of them, I imagine the E500'S would be much better. Or, would shure e4's be a big upgrade also?

Thanks much!

Feb 3, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
Hello, I am considering purchasing the shure e500's and wondered how they compared sonic wise to the ultimate ears superfi pro 5? I really liked the sound of them, but could never get a comfortable fit.

I just upgraded from the sf5pro to the E500 recently for primarily the same reason.

I have found the fit of the E500 to be dramatically better, providing much improved isolation. Musically, the sf5pro has more bass. However, I find the E500's bass to be tighter with greater extension. Quantity-wise, sf5pro; quality-wise, E500.

Another difference I've noticed is that there's a touch of harshness to the highs and mids of the E500. (Note I am particularly sensitive to that.) I couldn't get used to it even after a few days, so I finally relented to EQ'ing down the highs and mids a smidgen. They sound fantastic now.

Overall, they're an improvement. I hear more detail and tightness in my music. I think the bass on the sf5pro, while very fun, tends to overshadow the rest of the spectrum. Fit and isolation are definitely better, which were very important for me as I do most of my listening during my commute.

Feb 3, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 18
I had both until recently, but I no longer have the UE 5pro. The E500 are better in every regard, IMO. But that said, since the 5pro are 1/2 the price, this isn't something to be ashamed of. The 5pro are good, but the E500 are much better. ESPECIALLY with the new (soon to be released) black re-usable foamies.

Feb 3, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure which sleeve you're talking about, but my E500's came with a set of black foamies which are in my opinion inferior to the comply's. Maybe a different one.

I doubt those are the new black foamies, since they aren't commercially available yet. Did you mean black rubber sleeves? I'm talking about actual foamies. Similar to Comply, but washable!

Feb 3, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 18
Hey Assorted, I have the kenwood HD10GB7 which basically has the same amp- circuitry as your HD30GB9. So, how does it sound with the E500'S?

Oh and thanks for the replies so far, it seems the E500 are the way to go, just wish the price was a little softer on the old wallet
icon10.gif

Feb 3, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoenberg3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
black foamies... are they like the yellow ones, but different color? Black would match the color better, without question. But is there a difference in sonic quality? I assume you could get them through the website (soon?).

The new black foamies are much more like Comply foamies than the yellow ones Shure used to supply, but better, since they can be washed and re-used. They'll be available this month as I understand it from Shure. They were giving these out at CES.

Feb 3, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #11 of 18
I just upgraded a couple of weeks ago, E500s much better across the board in sound signature, from low to high, but then the SF5pros are not known for their highs... the MIDS are what I noticed most about the E500s they are just superb. I also find the comfort and fit of the E500s with just the stock grey buds to be excellent compared to the SF5's

I paid about 200.00 a year ago for my SF5pros and just got the E500s for about 320.00 so not quite 2x the price. The SF5pros are very good IEMS its just that E500s are better (IMO) in almost every regard as you would expect them to be for the price, they are definitely worth the 320.00 price tag in my opinion, enough so that they could be your only IEM easy.

Feb 3, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #12 of 18
I have a small problem with my E500's. One the right side a little below the driver there is a small opening on the cord revealing the wires inside. One the other side there is somthing similar right underneath the driver. Not sure how this happened as I just noticed it. Is there anything I can do about it? Shure wouldn't repair somthing like that under warranty would they?

Feb 3, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Kinney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a small problem with my E500's. One the right side a little below the driver there is a small opening on the cord revealing the wires inside. One the other side there is somthing similar right underneath the driver. Not sure how this happened as I just noticed it. Is there anything I can do about it? Shure wouldn't repair somthing like that under warranty would they?

take a pict and send it over to support at Shure. Mine dont have anything like what your describing, their fit and finish is excellent. Im sure support would replace them if they thought it was an issue in build quality.

Feb 3, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #15 of 18
Tube amps do not play nicely with Iems in general!

The E500 fit and finish is a 10! Detached highs is the real issue. But I dont think you will miss that much because the super.fi's highs were rolled off a bit.

If you have a good amp it will help with the E500's high End.

Might wanna try triple.fi's or wait for the new Westone 3 before pulling the trigger.

The going rate for the E500's make them a good choice though. The fit is as close to customs I have seen yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back