Quick review: Sharp SD-SH111 integrated digital amp/cd/dvd/tuner
Aug 20, 2003 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Wodgy

Headphoneus Supremus
Lately there have been a couple of threads about the Sharp series of digital amplifiers, largely because for some reason they've been selling for a fraction of their original prices, especially on eBay. For instance, the SD-SH111 was apparently first priced at $1700, then reduced to $500, and now can be had for around $150 or less. At that price I thought it was worth a try as a potential bedroom or office system.

The SD-SH111 is a six-channel integrated amplifier (25 watts/channel) that can play CDs and DVDs, and it also has an AM/FM radio tuner. There's also a very well-thought out universal remote that can also control various TV sets (though for some reason it can only turn my TV on, not turn it off, but that's only a minor irritant -- the volume and channel controls work too). The SD-SH111 comes with multiple analog inputs, as well as optical digital inputs and outputs.

There's also a headphone jack. According to the manual it's meant for 16 to 64 ohm headphones, and optimized for 32 ohm headphones, but it seems to drive my Beyerdynamic DT250-250s (250 ohm) just fine.

Anyway, my brief impression of this device is that it's pretty decent with headphones. The soundstage isn't terribly wide, but the highs are very nice -- clear and not at all harsh -- and the bass is also very decent. However, even at top volume, this device can't play very loud. It's loud enough for me, but if you like to listen really loud, you'd have to add a dedicated headphone amp.

Speakers are where this unit really shows its limitations. Even with efficient speakers (93 db), at top volume it can't play loud at all -- certainly not at party volumes. I seriously doubt the 25 watts/channel spec -- my cheap 8 watt tube amp can play louder. Also, the amp doesn't have great control over the bass. Fortunately the unit has bass management and can direct lows to an external powered subwoofer, so the SD-SH111 doesn't have to power the lows of the main speakers. In this configuration the sound improves a lot. Also, the midrange is somewhat cold, but the highs are very decent, even very good, for a cheap solid state (digital) amp. I can only recommend this as a speaker amp in conjunction with easy to drive bookshelves (say, Paradigm Atoms) and a powered subwoofer.

Anyway, those are my quick impressions!

Aug 21, 2003 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 7
Update: After using this amp with headphones for a while, I've realized why they suggest only using headphones of 64 ohms impedance or less in the manual. With higher impedance phones, including the Beyerdynamic DT250-250 and Etymotic ER-4S, there's noticeable background noise/hum during quiet passages.

Aug 22, 2003 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
Speakers are where this unit really shows its limitations. Even with efficient speakers (93 db), at top volume it can't play loud at all -- certainly not at party volumes. I seriously doubt the 25 watts/channel spec -- my cheap 8 watt tube amp can play louder. Also, the amp doesn't have great control over the bass. Fortunately the unit has bass management and can direct lows to an external powered subwoofer, so the SD-SH111 doesn't have to power the lows of the main speakers. In this configuration the sound improves a lot. Also, the midrange is somewhat cold, but the highs are very decent, even very good, for a cheap solid state (digital) amp. I can only recommend this as a speaker amp in conjunction with easy to drive bookshelves (say, Paradigm Atoms) and a powered subwoofer.

Your impression coincides with digital amps I've tried. In order to have more horse power for these digital amps, they still need a beefy power supply to get the *real* power. My guess is, from the compactness of the Sharp unit, they skimped on it. ( many digital amps do. )

the lack of bass on digital amps also seem to be related to that, too.

They, in general, seem to shine on midrange and up.

If there is a detachable power cord, you ought to try an aftermarket power cord on it. Just like any other digital products, it's a worthwhile try.

Aug 22, 2003 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 7
I've been listening to the SD-SH111 and I must say that I'm very pleased. It doesn't play extremely loud but it plays plenty loud for me in my listening room. You can make it play a good bit louder when programing the front two speakers from the preprogramed 0 to +10. I guess they mean decibles. Wodgy is right on when he said the mids are a bit dry, treble sweet, and bass sloppy. To me the midrange/treble means everything so I'm happy. The sub hooked up line level takes over most of my bass. The speakers I'm using are Boston Acoustic VR20's at about 88db. I'm going to drag the Green Mountain Europas and the BG Radia 520DXs to see what they can do on tougher loads. I can get much more volume with the SD-SH111 than with my Wave 8s and passive preamp. Almost double with the same speakers. At $150 I think this is great bargin. I just bought Gladiator and am going to see how good it is on home theater tonight. The build quality is something found in $1000 recievers. All metal, removable powercord(I replaced the stock with an Absolute Power Cord), gold jacks, great lighting and graghics, and just a solid feel.

Aug 22, 2003 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Pete Whitley
Wodgy is right on when he said the mids are a bit dry, treble sweet, and bass sloppy. To me the midrange/treble means everything so I'm happy. The sub hooked up line level takes over most of my bass. The speakers I'm using are Boston Acoustic VR20's at about 88db. I'm going to drag the Green Mountain Europas and the BG Radia 520DXs to see what they can do on tougher loads.

Another thing I've noticed about digital amps is that they are extremely transprent. If the midrange sounds too dry, try chaning the source or cabling. It'll show up more so than other conventional amps I had tried. ( it's a pain in the arse somewhat )

Aug 22, 2003 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 7
I agree pretty much 100% with both of you.

One thing I've noticed: as the unit has had more time to burn in, the midrange has really been warming up noticeably. I probably wouldn't call it slightly cold any more; it's probably fair to say the midrange is closer to neutral. The highs are still really good for a low priced solid state unit. The bass is still kind of sloppy, but kuma's right, they must have had to cut corners somewhere. Adding a sub and using bass management helps a lot there.

Kuma, I find it interesting that you suggested trying a new power cord... one of the things that I noticed right off the bat is that the stock power cord is thicker than most of the power cords for my other components. Thought that was kind of unusual. So I suspect power really does make a difference for this unit, and probably a good aftermarket cord might do wonders.

Aug 22, 2003 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
Kuma, I find it interesting that you suggested trying a new power cord... one of the things that I noticed right off the bat is that the stock power cord is thicker than most of the power cords for my other components. Thought that was kind of unusual. So I suspect power really does make a difference for this unit, and probably a good aftermarket cord might do wonders.

Yep. They really behave like any other digital products. ( normaly, power cord difference shows up more on CDP for instance )

Try it!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back