quick review of Music Hall CD25 vs Philips 963
Jul 8, 2004 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bundee1

Headphoneus Supremus
I finally got my 963sa yesterday from onecall.com for $255 total (thanks for the heads up on this great deal!). I hooked it up to my Jolida 1501 with SR Alpha cables, the rest of my system is listed below.
Heres a quick list of strengths and weaknesses for each player.

Philips 963
Strengths
-nice deep soundstage with good image placement.
Instruments seem to come out of thin air one in front of the other. They are very well seperated. You can picture the way the band is set up on stage. It gives the music more of a "live performance" feel.

-Good midrange.
This seems to emphasize vocals making them sound more powerful. Cymbals sound very good and instruments have good decay.

Weaknesses
-bass is weak which detracts from rhythm. Backing instruments seem to get buried by upfront vocals. This also makes the music sound lean, sometimes digital.

-When music gets busy the soundstage gets crowded which interrupts the flow. (I hypothesise that this has to do with the capacitors getting drained quickly. The caps are one of the first things that get replaced by modders.)

Some side notes:
I did most of my listening with the upsampling off. On some discs the 96k upsampling smoothed the sound out but at the cost of detail. The sound without upsampling sounds very "high end" to me. Its probably the best sounding dvd cd player under $300 that Ive ever heard (Ive owned 5 so far;
2 Sonys, 2 Pannys, Samsung). Discs on my player do get hot enought to burn a child, luckily I have a high pain threshold. This was only after about 90 mins of playing cds and I have about 4" of clearance above the player. It takes about 10 seconds to load a disc. Thank God and knock on wood this unit doesnt click. One some discs with upsampling on I couldnt tell the difference between this player and the Music Hall. Upsampling sometimes just sounds like added reverb on some music.

Music Hall MMF CD25
Strengths
- Good attack which contributes to the flow(I know its a corny cliche but it gets my toe tapping and my head nodding).

- The sound is more cohesive. By this I mean no part of the music is emphasised over another. Vocals, drums, guitars and backing instruments are all represented equally. Details are there and not glossed over. I thinks this lends to the smooth character of this player. Instruments sound fuller or seem to have more body.

-Wiiiiiiiiiiide soundstage and good imaging. Music extends a couple of feet to the left and right of the speakers. Like I mentioned above instruments are all on the same plane with equal volume. Background musicians such as tambourines, and second guitars are clearly heard. This also seems to contribute to the flow of the music. This player excels at getting the most out of a recording.

Weaknesses
- Can sound a little lean compared to other players, but in my system it sounds good.

Some side notes
HDCD is excellent with this player and is a big advantage over the 963 on encoded discs, even better than upsampling. The build quality is top notch. The old phaser style remote I have sucks.

Conclusion:

If you can get a used Music Hall for around $300-$350 jump on it. Its a helluva cdp for all kinds of music. It reproduces a recording very well. It helps me appreciate all the effort that goes into producing good music because I can hear everything that goes into it.

For $250 new, you cant ask for a more complete player than the Philips 963. More than respectable cd playback w/upsampling, good sacd playback, very good dvd playback (if your unit doesnt have any defects). I think this players gives music a more "live event" quality to music , which lends itself to jazz and acoustic discs.

This unit helped me appreciate my Music Hall even more, which doesnt mean I dont like the sound from the Philips, I just prefer my music to sound like a good recording rather than a live performance. I sold my B&K amp/PS Audio pre combo because of this. It sounded great with certain music but it didnt rock me enough to keep it. For those of you who prefer it the other way around this could be the player for you.

Jul 8, 2004 at 5:53 AM Post #2 of 15
Well organized and succint review. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

I love reviews with bulleted points, pluses and minuses.

Got any pics too?
tongue.gif

-Ed

Jul 8, 2004 at 2:09 PM Post #3 of 15
Ill take some crappy pix with my camera phone and post them later.

Jul 8, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 15
Thanks for the review.

I suggest you change the stock power cord on the 963SA. Even something cheap like the Volex 17604 will dramatically improve bass response. I use a subwoofer in my system (I listen to loudspeakers about 90% of the time) and could not believe the difference with a different power cord. The 14-gague Volex costs around $7.

I always use 96K upsampling. It seems to make the upper-midrange a little "sweeter" and the soundstage seems wider as well. The audio button on the remote instantly toggles between upsampling on and upsampling off.

Jul 9, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 15
sup Arnett?

Youre right about the power cord, but at the moment Im broke from the player. I want to get a Chris Venhaus pc because Im happy with his work so far, but it will have to wait. As for the upsampling, on some discs its beneficial, while on others it seems to fill out some instruments at the expense of background details. BTW my players production date is 11/03, whats yours?

Jul 9, 2004 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 15
I dont know why, and Ive read all of the posts for and against, but Ill try almost anything to get better performance out of my system. That said I cant convince you so try it for yourself. Pick up one of those Volex cords and if you like it work your way up until your point of diminishing returns. You can also build your own cords from some AudioAslum.com DIY recipes. For me the power cords lowered the noise floor and helped greatly with the bass. The lowered noise floor contributed to better instrument seperation, detail retrieval and wider soundstage. You'll never know until you try.

Jul 9, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #8 of 15
bundee1,

I’m actually on my second 963. I had one in the fall of 2003 and sold it. Then I bought another one when I put my speaker system together. I thought the 963 was slightly bright with headphones but with my KEF speakers it sounds excellent. My newer 963 was manufactured in October 2003.

I considered picking up a CD25 for redbook. After some intensive redbook listening on the Philips, I decided I like the sound of the upsampling too much to go for the CD25. And so I decided to tweak the 963 a bit by experimenting with power cords and cones. I received my Bolder Cable "Type 1" PC today and it sounds great so far. I’m also expecting a set of Black Diamond Racing Cones (#4) tomorrow.

Strangely, power cords do seem to make a difference. More so than isolation devices, IME.

Aug 26, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #9 of 15
Thats a great review bundee1

I think I agree with all your points. I auditioned the Music Hall for a good 5 hours some time ago and I almost purchased it. Super wide sound stage and good imaging was the thing that stood out the most in the Music Hall, sweet player
smily_headphones1.gif
I have the Philips 963sa for at least 6 months now or more. I think the overall comments people make regarding its power section are very justified, thats why the mod should be in the future of my player.

As for the remote control for the Music Hall, try getting the one that comes with the Shanling version of this player. It has a heavy aluminum face with a slick, clean design. I got one directly from Shangling in anticipation of the purchase of the Music Hall.

Aug 26, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 15
I still don't know why Philips has'nt been able to improve on the 963. I figured it to be a great start and looked forward to the latest and greatest from them. I'm still waiting. The 963 is still a great player for the buck and is still my DVD reference(even in my new projector system,when/if it ever gets done) but I really wish Philips would just do a great audio-only player and really impress us all.

I like the latest Musichall/Shandling players since the goofy problems have been fixed. I found myself reluctant to recommend them while there were still a bunch of problems. My latest Musichall Maverick is quirky but works and sounds fantastic.

Aug 26, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 15
Hi Fred, how are things with you? "new projector system" you always get all the toys
tongue.gif
I'm wondering how the Maverick compares to the Philips in red book and SACD. I don't know how I could miss it but did not get to check it out at the last Chicago meet. I did read about allot of problems with it reading Cd's etc.

Aug 26, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dariusf
Hi Fred, how are things with you? "new projector system" you always get all the toys
tongue.gif
I'm wondering how the Maverick compares to the Philips in red book and SACD. I don't know how I could miss it but did not get to check it out at the last Chicago meet. I did read about allot of problems with it reading Cd's etc.

I went through four of these things(mavericks) to get one that did'nt have problems reading discs. This one is still a bit funky and likes to take a while to read discs, forcing me to get up and walk over to it just as it decides to play. It sounds great however and has all the bass the 963 is missing. It's built a lot better than the 963 too.

I still don't have the room together yet and I'm not even sure if my wife wants to stay in this house. She loves the neighborhood but wants a bigger house. I kinda have a rigged projector system with an Infocus projector and a 100 inch perforated screen. the picture is unreal. You gotta watch an adult movie on a projector ,you'll never forget it.
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
I kinda have a rigged projector system with an Infocus projector and a 100 inch perforated screen. the picture is unreal. You gotta watch an adult movie on a projector ,you'll never forget it.
biggrin.gif

Now that sounds like HIGH QUALITY entertainment! Is there a THX sound option?

Aug 30, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

I went through four of these things(mavericks) to get one that did'nt have problems reading discs. This one is still a bit funky and likes to take a while to read discs, forcing me to get up and walk over to it just as it decides to play. It sounds great however and has all the bass the 963 is missing. It's built a lot better than the 963 too.

I was thinking I heard it from you or Stereophile's review. Maybe it was both
smily_headphones1.gif
Wondering if modding the power section of the Philips will make it more on the par with the bass of the Maveric, or at least close. For a total of $600+ with the modes comparing to price of the Maveric. But then I'm out of spending more cash on the audio hardware. Just got the Monster Power HTS 3600v2 so I'm done with upgrades for some time. (I did say this a few times in the past
biggrin.gif
)

Quote:

I still don't have the room together yet and I'm not even sure if my wife wants to stay in this house. She loves the neighborhood but wants a bigger house. I kinda have a rigged projector system with an Infocus projector and a 100 inch perforated screen. the picture is unreal. You gotta watch an adult movie on a projector ,you'll never forget it.
biggrin.gif

Wow, you always get all the cool toys
tongue.gif
Looks like we will not be moving in to the new house sooner then 10 months, they will not even break ground till next year, so my hopes for a dedicated room are long way off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back