Quick review: ATH-ANC7 from Audio-Technica
May 4, 2007 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

AndrewB

100+ Head-Fier
I have been interested in a noise canceling phones for a while. Seeing as I could grab these ATH-ANC7 Audio-Technica's for short change, and that I really like my ATH-M40's I decided to give these a go.

Sources:
Iriver H120 rockbox'd for FLAC and SHN specific play back
Desktop PC Ubuntu 7.04 using VLC/XMMS for playback of FLAC and SHN

Amplification:
Stand alone amplification capabilities of Iriver H120
Proton D940 Receiver
Millett Hybrid built to Pete's original spec with BUF634 buffers
Xtra X1 non-buffer configuration +15Db gain setting

Music used:
The Dandy Warhols- 13 tales- Godless....................FLAC VBR
Dead Can Dance- Aion- Black Sun..........................mp3 @256K
Tool- Live Stuttgart 12/5/06- Vicarious....................FLAC VBR
Paul Kantner-Blows Against the Empire- Starship...mp3@320K
Jazz is Dead- Great Sky River-Terrapin Station...FLAC VBR
Headphone:

Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7

The headphone comes packed with a detachable 3.5 to 3.5 cable ~5ft in length, a Energizer AAA battery, a 3.5mm to 1/4 stereo plug, and an airline audio adapter. As well as a nice carry case, for when the phones are not in use.

Initial impressions:

After installing the battery and getting acclimated to the audio characteristics of the ANC7's the following can be noted:

1) the high frequency response is moderately muted when the active electronics are switched off.

2) the phones sound very good with the active electronics switched on.

Its nice that ATH though to have the phones work in a default mode. If the battery dies, the phones work as phones.If the ANC is off, the phones work as phones.

Fit and finish is very nice, the headband adjust with very positive detents holding my preferred position. The ear pads are comfty and not too uncomfortable. I expect that they will loosen up and become more comfortable with time.

Critical Listening:

After listening for a couple of hours this afternoon, both powered and un-powered. Then breaking for dinner and a walk. I find that the initial roll off on the highs is less severe than I originally noted. The steel guitar in Starship is less recessed, the bass line a bit clearer. I expect I am adjusting to the 'sound' of these now. Once the ANC is turned on there is a significant change in the overall performance of the phones. It is almost in your ear presentation, not at all unpleasent. I find it necessary to reduce the volume of source or amp once the ANC is active.

With ANC on:
In the Tool track it becomes possible to clearly make out the audience participation during quiet passages, the vocals sound natural, the slap bass unforced.

Jazz is Dead, is a lively jazz interpretation of the Grateful Dead's more classic songs and jams. Again I found the presentation fine with the ANC active.

As Noise cancellation:

I would not recommend walking around with these on. They are very efficient at removing background noise, cars faded to dull rumble, the neighbors sub-woofer disappeared, my wife felt neglected (what hon?) The general drone of fans in the computer room faded to sonic neutrality. I did find it rather difficult to have a conversation with these on, conversational tones were lost to the ANC circuit too.

In conclusion:
With ANC off, the ATH-ANC7's require an extra bit of power to push them, they are rated as 260 ohm impedance. With the ANC active, the phones are in my estimation well worth the street price of $120~140usd. The active noise cancellation works very well. I intend to do further listening and probe how well the ANC functions in noisier environments.

May 11, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 4
Nov 20, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 4
I just got a pair of ANC7's and wanted to give up some quick little thoughts on them:

These are better than any closed-back headphones that i've ever used, but that's not saying very much.

i should only really compare these to my Grado-sr80's since those are the only other respectable headphones i use (i used to have AKG K26p's and Koss KSC75's, but broke them and havent heard them in over a year).

the first time i plugged these into my computer and loaded up a track it was Radiohead's 2+2=5, and i swear to god, it wasn't loud, but this is the first time i ever heard talking at the beginning of that track!

im not pro like most of the guys on these forums so i can only share the thoughts of an amateur. These sound noticeably closed. you can easily tell these are isolating the sound around you- and thats what you want in these, just saying, maybe these arent for around the house when you're alone, go for some open headphones then.

with the NC off these sound more or less like any half decent pair of cheap headphones and isolate a fair amount of sound. With the NC on i hear a little airy hiss, but i guess thats just how NC works. With the NC on these are some good headphones with great isolation and a lot of what i am thinking is 'soundstage'. There is definetly bass, but not what i would call stupid amounts of bass (K26P).

Im not a big fan of its equalizer, it sounds a bit too trebble-y (or maybe mid-y... im really not good at this) for my taste, but i can't deny that these are good sounding headphones.

The only other thing i can mention off the bat is that these definetly leak a lot more noise out than i expected- but on the subway, where im taking 'em, im confident theyll be drowned out enough.

Mar 9, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 4
I'm interested in getting these for travel cans. I wonder if they are better sounding than m50s for example or the denon d1000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back