Quick response: Recommend a bike shop in NYC.
Jan 20, 2006 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bundee1

Headphoneus Supremus
My incredible girlfriend is getting me a mountain bike this weekend. I want to get a Trek 4300 hardtail and I got a list of authorized dealers off the Trek site. 2 places Im considering shopping are: Metro Bicycles (15th st NYC location) and Tony's Bicycles in Astoria. Both carry the 2006 model I want but Id also like to shop from a reputable place that will service the bike later on.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these shops? Can anyone recommend any other bike shops?

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 10
I think the best bikeshops are those with a good and prominent workshop. Is it nice and tidy? Are the tools reasonably new and well organised? Is there any wheel building going on? Also, snobby staff means no good.

Jan 20, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 10
bought an inexpensive bike from Metro, don't know about service. (a beater mtn bike around $200)
I usually do my own maintenance.
I don't know about NYC bike prices but I'm assuming they don't discount much so you're paying retail on everything. Some were quite rude when I wanted to bargain. But then when you pay retail, they usually have a lifetime free tune up deal.
When I had my wheels rebuilt, I went to Toga on west end ave.
There's a couple other bike shops that cater to road racers, one is in bay ridge.
I had my frame adjusted at Stuyvesent bikes a long time ago, I don't think they are around anymore. Their mechanic let me in his work area so I can see what's he doing to my frame. (it was a custom Richard Sachs)
(bought my first club racer from Stuyvescent bikes, dealt with the owner, he gave a great deal)

Jan 21, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #4 of 10
I've been to the one on 15th and 6th near the village many times. They have medium + level bikes, nothing fancy and I could not beat their prices even by going over to Jersey. The store is very small and crowded so it may take a few minutes to get served. They take their time with everybody which is good and bad. Unless you are buying very high end stuff, you should like the place. It helps to shop online for your bike first. That way if you like a cetain line of bikes
you can try the instock bike and then order another up or down on that brand/style to get the options you want.

Jan 21, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 10
I believe the 4300 is availible with disc brakes. Go for it if it's in the budget. I've almost lost it (my neck) trying to brake in wet conditions with standard brakes. Smooth riding bike.

Jan 21, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #6 of 10
Also, yes the sevice at Metro Bikes was very good. Expect about $85 for a tune up very two years and $15 for a regular spoke adjustment. Lots of locals go there for the free air.

Jan 21, 2006 at 7:25 AM Post #7 of 10
Bicycle Habitat at 244 Lafayette Street is far superior to any of the Metro locations (though I did buy my current Raleigh m400 from a Metro on the East Side). Their website lists the Trek 4300 for 345.00.

Not only does Habitat have Hal working in the front window, it's a better location. Lafayette is an essential corridor connecting Lower Manhattan to Soho, Union Square, etc..

Sixth Avenue is just crowded and dangerous for cyclists. I try to avoid it whenever possible.

Either way, good luck, and mind those cords when you're riding.

Andy

Jan 21, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 10
I saw that deal at the Lafayette store but its for last years model. The 2006 has a few better parts and costs $15 more. Thanks everyone!

P.S. How about a good bike lock?

Jan 21, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 10
One of the stores mentioned was rude.
I'm still recovering from sticker shock at my most recent bike shop visit.
(looked for a deal on a Fuji Roubaix)
Anyway, Pick up a copy of Velo News and see what's available new and used in their classified.
Good luck, don't let your eye off your bike for a minute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back