quick question
Jan 11, 2005 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

aeriyn

Headphoneus Supremus
Got some spare parts so I think I'm gonna whip up a CMoy from said spare parts. Don't have a volume pot though so... going to make it a drug-free headamp. XD

Do I just bypass the pot on the input lines or do I have to put something in its place?

Jan 11, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 8
Just say no... Yes, just by-pass the pot. Be carefull just to use it on sources with volume control. The stock gain on a cmoy will really make a set of headphones scream.

Jan 11, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by __redruM
Just say no... Yes, just by-pass the pot. Be carefull just to use it on sources with volume control. The stock gain on a cmoy will really make a set of headphones scream.

It's for use with my iPod Mini... and the gain is not stock, but around 3. =P

Jan 11, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 8
why not just pick up something cheap and cheerful to use as a pot ? i guess if your setup isnt going to change and u are happy to adjust volume on the source no pot would be ok once you've tweaked the gain accordingly. but i always like to have control
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 8
my general philosophy is that the digital attenuator on the iPod's DAC is probably much better than an el cheapo mini audio pot.

Jan 11, 2005 at 7:58 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
my general philosophy is that the digital attenuator on the iPod's DAC is probably much better than an el cheapo mini audio pot.

Meh, I dunno. Define 'el cheapo', for one. I find the Panasonic EVJ to be quite nice - very smooth tracking for it's price. I'm sure it's no Alps, but then, I haven't heard an Alps
biggrin.gif

I've always had a deep rooted fear of digital attenuators, anyway. Bad experience with newer Discman who seem to have two settings of varying degrees - too quiet, and too loud. Perhaps the iPod is better in that respect, but even so, I've always preferred to have a knob rather than buttons.

Jan 11, 2005 at 8:31 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn

Unless you plan on getting an adaptor to use the Ipod line out the music is controled by the digital attenuator. Adding another pot does give you some convenience, but it brings along all the disadvantages of a pot that are unnecessary in this case.

Jan 11, 2005 at 10:23 AM Post #8 of 8
You could also set values of resistors to lower the gain of the CMoy as much as possible too.

The CMoy distorts horribly with default gain and no pot.

The iPod's headphone output (not sure about the mini's) is pretty loud, so I'm not sure how fine it's volume adjustment is.

But it couldn't hurt to just hook it up and try. Just make sure to turn the volume on the iPod all the way down first, of course.
wink.gif

I tested my first CMoy this way. I turned the volume down all the way in Foobar and gradually turned it up to hear how it sounded. Sounded quite good, but as I turned it up to 0dBL level, it got way too loud and unlistenable.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back