quick question
Mar 5, 2004 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pirate

100+ Head-Fier
This may be a stupid question, but what's the difference between variable out and fixed out? Which should I be using?

Mar 5, 2004 at 2:55 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by pirate
This may be a stupid question, but what's the difference between variable out and fixed out? Which should I be using?

A fixed output means just that.
an example would be the output voltage of say a sony full size CDP which normally is 2volts.
With the fixed output the voltage always remains at 2 volts.
With a variable output the voltage can be changed higher or lower then 2 volts.
If you are using an amp with a volume control it is best to use the fixed output.
If you are using an amp with no way of controling the volume you would use the variable output to control the volume.

Mar 5, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 5
You're talking about the outputs on a CD player, right? The fixed level outputs are just that, the volume of the signal coming out of the jacks is fixed in level and not able to be adjusted by a volume type control. The variable outputs can be controlled via a volume control, your CD player must have a digital volume control built in. Is there a level control on the remote? I would use the fixed level outputs myself and then use the volume control in your amp/preamp to control volume. A variable level control in a CD player is a digital type volume control and achieves it's attenuation by throwing out bits of information which obviously is not a good thing and can be audible with more attenuation to the signal. However, the variable outputs and it's volume control is a unique convenience but again it can be degrading to the signal.

Mar 5, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 5
Ah, heck, you beat me to it by one minute, bozebuttons.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
Ah, heck, you beat me to it by one minute, bozebuttons.
smily_headphones1.gif

I like your response,it has some good points, I was trying to keep mine simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back