Quick question
Jun 18, 2007 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sebastian589

500+ Head-Fier
So I own a Channel Islands VDA-1 Dac, and I really enjoy the way it sounds so I have been looking for a way to use it for USB as well as coax and spdif and after reading through these forums I am not sure if the behringer or cryoparts usb to spdif would be a better fit for my dac, or if a different device would be better(feel free to recomend others). I would like to keep the costs in the same ballpark as these two products if possible

Links to the dac, and two components are below, thanks for your help

Behringer:

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-U-CO...2198725&sr=8-1

cryoparts:
http://www.cryo-parts.com/pclink.html

VDA-1 Dac:
http://www.ciaudio.com/vda1.html

Jun 19, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 5
I use a Behringer on my Mac @ work with a VDA.1 a VAC.1 and a MF X-CANv3 and it all works perfectly. It needs no drivers and was plug and go. I had an MAudio USB Transit and it gave lots of problems. It needed a driver, and would often hang when I plugged it in. It also seems that the Behringer sounds better (S/PDIF wise). The Transit is a much more sophisticated product and so may be doing things to the bits. I know it can upsample, but I always disabled that and everything else I could.
Also the Behringer is cheaper.

-=A=-

Jun 19, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amarok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a Behringer on my Mac @ work with a VDA.1 a VAC.1 and a MF X-CANv3 and it all works perfectly. It needs no drivers and was plug and go. I had an MAudio USB Transit and it gave lots of problems. It needed a driver, and would often hang when I plugged it in. It also seems that the Behringer sounds better (S/PDIF wise). The Transit is a much more sophisticated product and so may be doing things to the bits. I know it can upsample, but I always disabled that and everything else I could.
Also the Behringer is cheaper.

-=A=-

Thanks for the info, I think I'll go with the behringer

Nice rig by the way I'm sure it sounds splendid (my rig: vda-1-->x-canV3-->Grado RS2's)
rs1smile.gif

Jun 19, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebastian589 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info, I think I'll go with the behringer

Nice rig by the way I'm sure it sounds splendid (my rig: vda-1-->x-canV3-->Grado RS2's)
rs1smile.gif

I was surprised at how good it made mp3s sound. I've rolled a few tubes in the xcan. Right now I'm using some Mullard CV2492s which are very nice @$90/ea. The sad thing is that some JJ-E88CCs sound embarrassingly close. For $9.95/ea they are well worth it. Much nicer, IMHO, than the JANs it comes with. It is a PITA to roll, tho.
Wallet willing, I'd really consider the VAC.1. I've never made a power tweak that failed to make a large improvement. I ran a 10 gauge wire from my breaker box to my living room. $200. Best $200 *ever* spent for SQ.

-=A=-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back