Quick question with headphone amp + ATH-M50
Feb 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

GaryWA

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my ATH-M50's in today and they sound great.

My Fiio E6 should be here in the next day or two. But I just had a quick question. What volume do I set the phone volume to? Do I set it all the way up? Middle? Lowest? Shouldn't I let the amp handle the volume?

Sorry for all the questions.. Thanks!

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 11
I would set the volume all of the way up with most if not all portable players.  This will help keep the amp section of the E6 from clipping ( too high of volume ).  If for some reason the sound becomes distorted turn the volume on the player to 75% and try again, but I doubt you will have an issue.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

My Fiio E6 should be here in the next day or two. But I just had a quick question. What volume do I set the phone volume to? Do I set it all the way up? Middle? Lowest? Shouldn't I let the amp handle the volume?

Heya,

Listen to it at all possible combinations and pick the one that you like the best. Simple as that. There is no "best" or "right way" here.

On that note, also listen with and without the E6. Depending on your phone, you may find it doesn't do anything except add weight to your pocket. The M50 doesn't need an amp.

Very best,

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
I would set the volume all of the way up with most if not all portable players.  This will help keep the amp section of the E6 from clipping ( too high of volume ).  If for some reason the sound becomes distorted turn the volume on the player to 75% and try again, but I doubt you will have an issue.

imho...i dont think you should do this unless you are only listening for a very short amount of time because it might exhaust the sound card in your portable device i think about 60% should be good and to leave the rest to the amp. Also listening at high volumes may risk damage to your ears so i do not recommend full volume. speaking from experiance with the m50 and the e6 that i have been using for 6 months now..

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
imho...i dont think you should do this unless you are only listening for a very short amount of time because it might exhaust the sound card in your portable device i think about 60% should be good and to leave the rest to the amp. Also listening at high volumes may risk damage to your ears so i do not recommend full volume. speaking from experiance with the m50 and the e6 that i have been using for 6 months now..

I think you misunderstand.  With most amps you want the source volume to be full and control the volume with the amp.  As Mal already mentioned you should figure out what sounds the best, but in general you want the source volume at or near full so the amp does not clip on the output.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

What exactly are you going to be plugging the amp and headphones into?

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 11
Does your phone offer a line-out option?  If so, would be
ideal to use a line-out dock cable bypassing the phone's 
amp circuit.  That's how I most often listen to
my ATH-M50's. :)

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
I think you misunderstand.  With most amps you want the source volume to be full and control the volume with the amp.  As Mal already mentioned you should figure out what sounds the best, but in general you want the source volume at or near full so the amp does not clip on the output.

dont you risk exhausting your sound card if you put it at full though?

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 11
I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S3. I bought the E6 before my M50's even got here just because it was $28 and it couldn't hurt to try it.

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #11 of 11
Bad headphone for mixing
a headphone with tons of faults , yet still so highly praised
not as godly as the hype suggest
get some beyer dt pros
recessed on these headphone is an understatement
unnatural bass 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back