Quick Question Regarding Headphone Extension Cables
Nov 22, 2008 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

AZ Greg

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, quick question. I just purchased a headphone extension cord to use with my PX100s and was wondering if using an extension cord causes a loss in quality? Or is it the sort of thing that doesn't cause a loss and if it does it is unnoticeable?

Thanks!

Nov 22, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #3 of 8
Any extra component in the audio stream have the potential to degrade the audio signal. If its audible or no is a different question.
I say, if the cable are well built and very long there will be close to no audible loss. But the only way to find out is to audition with and without the extension cable.

Nov 22, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 8
not with PX100 it wont. as long as it isn't shoddily built there should be no AUDIBLE DIFFERENCE audibly being the operative word. with a more resolving system maybe but with yours no

Nov 22, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ Greg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, quick question. I just purchased a headphone extension cord to use with my PX100s and was wondering if using an extension cord causes a loss in quality? Or is it the sort of thing that doesn't cause a loss and if it does it is unnoticeable?

Thanks!

Yes there will be greater signal loss as the cable is longer, regardless of the connection, this is just physics, it may not be detecatable, if it is just turn the volume slightly. If is is 6' or less it will probably be undetectable, 12' you will almost certainly hear a small signal loss, It is not going to change to frequency balance unless it is really crap.

Nov 22, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #7 of 8
he's talking about px100 I would think he's talking inches not feet. thats what I gathered anyway. of course there's signal loss with a really long cable but as you say its usually just a matter of turning it up.

Nov 22, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the responses guys!

I sorta figured if there was any loss that it probably wouldn't be audible with my headphones/system. And yes, I'm not looking at a long extension. As owners of the PX100 are aware, the cable is somewhat short, of course it's fine for portable needs though. Anyway, because I get clearer audio out of the back of my PC, I want to plug my PX100s in back there. It causes the wire to be quite tight due to the distance. That's why I asked about extension cables. I think I'm just going to wait until the FiiO E5 amp and use the small extension cable it comes with. Should solve my distance problem, no amp out of the back jack problem, and any potential issue with a long extension cable since the included cables with the E5 are quite short.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back