Quick question ref DAC
May 16, 2012 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Dazhead

New Head-Fier
My current set up is iPod classic into my little dot mkIII via a Denon dock with RCA interconnect and then into various headphones.

My question is....will this setup benefit from a DAC? I've read that there are few portable DACs that will bypass the iPods in built DAC, is this the case with desktop ones too?

Would this DAC work on my system and would I see a credible improvement?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP30-T-Amp-Digital-Amplifier-Headphone-earphone-w-DAC-/170836584438?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item27c6a767f6#ht_1939wt_776

Thanks for your time guys.

Daz

May 16, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 5
First let me say that I find the DAC inside the iPod Classic quite musical and upgrading on it may be difficult.  At least for audible improvement.  My experience with myriad DAC units is that as long as the DAC is doings its job they all sound identical.  This goes for my Bithead, Ultra Desktop Amp / DAC, and m903.  The idea of having a good DAC is to keep it transparent.

I vote yes to possibly improving the signal processing but a big no to being able to hear the difference.

May 16, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
My question is....will this setup benefit from a DAC? I've read that there are few portable DACs that will bypass the iPods in built DAC, is this the case with desktop ones too?
Would this DAC work on my system and would I see a credible improvement?

I believe you mean the Wadia, Solo or Fostex.  They bypass the ipod and  later two have internal dacs of their own or you can send out a digital stream to an external dac.  I have heard both of those but not the Wadia, i got the fostex because it includes and amplifier too.  I hear a big improvement over the ipod internal dac otherwise i wouldn't have bought it after auditioning.  You just have to find one of the units that pulls out the digital stream (like the Wadia) to send to the dac of your choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back