Quick Question re iTunes
Jan 2, 2009 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BloodSugar00

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi there!

I have next to no experience with ipods and using itunes. I want to batch delete audio files from the ipod nano 4G I have in my possession before sending it back to a retailer and I'm having problems. First, I tried to do it via Media Monkey but this didn't transpire (though it appeared as though files were being removed in this action). I have now filtered to using the standard media mangement program for this device (itunes) and I have encountered an immediate problem in that the audio file library on the ipod nano is displayed in itunes with all files ticked! Naturally, I wana leave any pre-installed files that came on the ipod on it so I don't wish to delete these in a sweeping reomoval action. Also, I don't wish to trawl, manually through that list unticking everything. I imagine theres a buttom or way to untick everything but I can't find it! Can someone just point out how to untick all the files please?

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 9
Plug the iPod to your PC, and open up iTunes. At the main summary screen of your iPod in iTunes, there is a button called "Restore." Click on that, follow the instruction, and it will reset and delete everything in the iPod and make it like it was new from the factory.

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 9
Yeah, a fully restore take care of it.
You should be able to delete all track in the iPod, from within iTunes as well. Just choose "Music" on the left, within the iPod, select all tracks (Command + a) and delete.

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the responses but I managed to get round it. Seemingly, the checked box next to each track, that is automatically ticked when you open your ipod music library in itunes, does not correlate to synching/adding and/or removal 'convenience, but is independent of that (I imagine it has something to do with forming playlists). All I had to do was select each track ie highlight it and then right click and delete. I've done this now; it was still arduous, however, as I didn't know whether the nano had come with any pre-installed songs on it so I still had to go through library track by track (pity you can't delete album folder by album folder) to assure that I didn't delete any of these songs that would have to be on the player when I returned it! So could've done with that restore to factory settings tip a bit earlier!
wink.gif
Done now though. I suppose, like pretty much anything, once you become familiar with using itunes it's not so bad but it's been a little frustrating to use for me, initially (I will get more practice though as I'm likely keeping the Classic I have in my possession!).

Out of interest, both the nano and the classic synch/connect/show in Media Monkey- can this be used to manage media on ipod's (I understand ipods are meant to be locked down to itunes, their propietary software)?

Jan 3, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Seemingly, the checked box next to each track, that is automatically ticked when you open your ipod music library in itunes, does not correlate to synching/adding and/or removal 'convenience, but is independent of that

Actually that's an option in the Preferences section... the check boxes can be used to select/indicate sync status if you like, but by default that option is turned off. Just fyi...

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the responses but I managed to get round it. Seemingly, the checked box next to each track, that is automatically ticked when you open your ipod music library in itunes, does not correlate to synching/adding and/or removal 'convenience, but is independent of that (I imagine it has something to do with forming playlists). All I had to do was select each track ie highlight it and then right click and delete. I've done this now; it was still arduous, however, as I didn't know whether the nano had come with any pre-installed songs on it so I still had to go through library track by track (pity you can't delete album folder by album folder) to assure that I didn't delete any of these songs that would have to be on the player when I returned it! So could've done with that restore to factory settings tip a bit earlier!
wink.gif
Done now though. I suppose, like pretty much anything, once you become familiar with using itunes it's not so bad but it's been a little frustrating to use for me, initially (I will get more practice though as I'm likely keeping the Classic I have in my possession!).

The only iPods that ever come with anything "preinstalled" are the U2 iPods and Harry Potter ones. Regular iPods don't have any music in them. Just click that restore button.

Jan 3, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by pata2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only iPods that ever come with anything "preinstalled" are the U2 iPods...

Really??? Like what? I have the first gen U2 and there was nada included in the way of music and such.

Jan 3, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #8 of 9
yeagh by default the checkbox just deems whether the song is played or not if you play that list

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really??? Like what? I have the first gen U2 and there was nada included in the way of music and such.

My bad. I thought it came preloaded with some U2 music, but checking wikipedia, it only came with a discount code to download their music from iTunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back