Quick question on using portables at home
Sep 23, 2005 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sage

New Head-Fier
i have an iriver ihp 120 that i'll use primarily at my home via optical out with a headroom amp when it comes in (hopefully next week
smily_headphones1.gif

My question is regarding prolonging the life of the batteries. Would it be better to use the player with it plugged in all the time? Or would it be better treat it like a portable and run the battery down and recharge.

Thanks.

Sep 23, 2005 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 4
It has a lithium polymer battery. Not sure how iRiver implemented overcharge protection, but I don't believe lithium polymer or lithium ion (which accounts for most portables) should by drained completely regularly. So don't do that, but top off instead. As for leaving it plugged in all the time, some one is going to have to pipe in about auto-shut off charging or something.

Sep 23, 2005 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 4
Most batteries have a certain number of cycles they can go through (charged and drained) which iv'e heard is around 500. If you are using the battery regularly outside your work then yes I think it would be worthwhile to plug it in at work.

Sep 23, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 4
agreed, just be sure sure it doesn't overheat. New players shouldnt, but a couple of those old players would get REALLY hot if played for hours while it trying to charge, because instead of charging the battery, then cutting the battery out of the circuit, it would continually top up the battery. Or at least I think that's what it was doing, I could think of any other reason it would get so friggin hot...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back