Quick question on the Pro-ject Debut III
Apr 20, 2012 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DNZGamer

100+ Head-Fier
Found a HUGE stash of Vinyl from my dads collection. Want to get him a TT so he can plug some headphones in. Question is: can I actually power the headphones directly from the Turntable or do I need to get him an amp too? The headphones to be used are the HD 598 for my dad and the Grado RS1i for myself. Both seem extremely easy to drive so maybe I don't need anything?

Also, the only store I found them in was Bay and Bloor radio in Toronto which means it will be about $450 after taxes. If anyone knows a cheaper place that sells PJ Debut III, would be also extremely helpful!

Apr 20, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 5
You are going to need a phono-amp and a headphone amp I'm afraid. Add on about $140 to get both of those if you don't have a headphone amp already. You'd hook it up turntable>phono amp>RCA input on amp(line-in)>headpones. Or you could try and pick up a vintage receiver that has both a phono in and headphone out. I got lucky and got a near mind Sherwood S-7210A off ebay, but its very rare to get a unit that doesn't need some kind of cleaning/service under $100. The headphone amp in the receiver sounds better to me than the modern Burson HA-160 amp though, so it might be worth a shot. I'm not sure how the phono-amp compares though, I wasn't as lucky picking a vintage turntable up off ebay. It's out for repairs right now.

You may want to go for one as well, you can easily get something that will out perform higher end Pro-jects and be restored for $450. I'd suggest checking out other audio forums for more info. I'm a bit new to the whole vintage thing and head-fi doesn't have a very big vinyl/vintage community.

Apr 20, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #3 of 5
Well that complicates things...

I really can't buy used. It is a present to have him reminisce about his old days and the kind of person he is, he would not like something that some else has owned. 

So very unfamiliar with Phono amps. Can you recommend me one? And I also have a portable amp (Headstage, E11, etc) so could I just use those with proper connectors or do I need something like a real full sized desk amp?

Recommendations on affordable solutions would be highly appreciated. Thanks for your answer so far.

Apr 20, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 5
I'd pass on the Debut 3 and get the new Debut Carbon. The 2M Red you can get included is a good pick.

http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Audio-540P-B-Phono-Preamp/dp/B0018DMF2Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334953038&sr=8-1
540P for a cheap-ish phono stage.

Your current amps should be just fine with the right cables.

Oh, and here's the Carbon.
http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=debutcarbon&cat=turntables&lang=en

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 5
Ah, its too late! I bought the Debut III already.

Never mind, fixed the problem. Missed a part that the guy didn't tell me to install. Gonna enjoy Swan Lake tonight on vinyl!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back