Quick question, if you could spare a moment.
Dec 31, 2008 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

fluffygdog95

500+ Head-Fier
I am recieving a pair of Sennheiser HD555s and I will be running them through my zune. I would also like to use them for music and gaming through my computer. My computer does not have an aftermarket soundcard, just the junk onboard. Would an amp/DAC benefit me enough to notice it? I am figuring it would with my desktop. I have searched for a few days and have not found an exact reference with the Sennheiser HD555s and a zune. I have looked into the iBasso D2 boa. If this amp/dac would be nice, could you inform me? I have a possible seller of this and I would really like to have a for-sure answer on my exact question.

For any that answer or even bother to read my question...Thank you very much. It is greatly appreciated. This is why I love Head-fi. Such nice people.

biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 14
You will definately notice a difference, and it will be big. Unamped they'll lack a fair bit of definition and soundstage, not to mention they will have no bottom end at all. You add an amp, the soundstage will open and you'll get lots more definition. I bought my Senns used them for a few hours, stuck them on my dads amp and ended up buying myself and amp the same day. If you give a price point I'm sure people here would love to make recommendations.

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 14
well i tried the hd 555's , have a zune, and have a d2 boa..

So i'm pretty much who you're looking for..haha

you will know a HUGE difference in sound when you hook up your hd555's to a boa. it's great. They should power your sens up very nicely.

I'm running hd 650's with my d2 boa and they're great together (although i know i'm seriously not pushing the 650's to their true potential)

unless your hd 555's aren't the 50 Ohm version, they should be powered adequately .

Dec 31, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #4 of 14
I agree with the above. The difference was also huge for me when I began using my first USB DAC/portable amp (Meier)...compared to the crap onboard sound of my laptop. You should probably snatch up that D2!

Welcome to Head-Fi fluffygdog95...it's all downhill for your wallet from here.

beerchug.gif

Jan 1, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by fluffygdog95 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you very much. This input is exactly what I needed. All is appreciated. I believe my wallet will be hurting soon.
biggrin.gif

It'll get worse as you get into it more. I'm looking at some 650s and new Dac/Amp combo. That's gonna be painful.

Jan 1, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 14
Considering that the Sennheiser HD555's are 120ohm, I totally agree w/everyone here, get that amp. Or snatch up a D2, the added power will really help the HD555's shine (
tongue.gif
personally, I'd go for the amp
tongue.gif
).

Here's the specs on those great sounding hp's: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...15_555_595.pdf

And I also just wanted to also add, as all will agree, "Sorry about your wallet".

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

I think they might actually be the 120 ohm version. Is this bad? Will they still be drivable? Your input is appreciated.

Just pair them w/an amp and your good to go!!!

Jan 2, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #12 of 14
I just got them today. They turned out to be the 50 ohm. This is my first taste of "High-end" audio. I have had a smile on my face for the past 25 minutes....And I do not smile ever...Yeah. That amp is going to be purchased.

Out of the box these are already way better than everything I have heard previously. I do not see how anything could be better actually. I am anticipating my overnight "Burn-in" sessions and becoming more amazed each day. Once I get this amp I am probably going to cry for joy. Oh...My wallet too.
biggrin.gif
To anyone that is curious about this product...This is my two cents.

These are great starter headphones. I know that this brought me on the path of wallet hurting within the first 10 minutes. If you have never had a nice pair of headphones before...Get these and try them. It is like a drug. That is pretty much it. I will probably post a review when I have calmed down a bit...2 weeks when I get my amp too probably. Well I will see you all then.

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

I just got them today. They turned out to be the 50 ohm. This is my first taste of "High-end" audio. I have had a smile on my face for the past 25 minutes....And I do not smile ever...Yeah. That amp is going to be purchased.

Out of the box these are already way better than everything I have heard previously. I do not see how anything could be better actually. I am anticipating my overnight "Burn-in" sessions and becoming more amazed each day. Once I get this amp I am probably going to cry for joy. Oh...My wallet too.
biggrin.gif
To anyone that is curious about this product...This is my two cents.

These are great starter headphones. I know that this brought me on the path of wallet hurting within the first 10 minutes. If you have never had a nice pair of headphones before...Get these and try them. It is like a drug. That is pretty much it. I will probably post a review when I have calmed down a bit...2 weeks when I get my amp too probably. Well I will see you all then.

It sounds like you'll be going through your entire music collection with these.
smily_headphones1.gif

Great SQ make it much easier to be a music addict (like me).

It only gets better from here...now that you've had a taste of what we all get so obsessed about here.

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #14 of 14
glad you like them
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back