Quick question for someone who owns an ibasso d10
Apr 28, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 8
bump
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #3 of 8
not at home right now, so can't help. why do you ask?
as far as I know, It's not the best quality optical cable. if you are looking for optical, try sysconcept.

Apr 28, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 8
I recently did a comparison of different toslink cables and I need the ibasso cable for a comparison

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/be...52/index6.html

To quote myself:

Quote:

I did my own little comparison of some different cables I tried.

One is a 3ft plastic? cable that came with my Ibasso D10, I compared this cable to a 10ft sonicwave glass toslink cable and recently a 3ft glass cable I bought on ebay for 19$.

I used the optical out from my macbook pro so I had to use a mini to toslink adapter with all the cables. I connected it to my valab DAC, this DAC doesnt have any type of reclocking or upsampling so I think the type of cable used with this DAC makes a bigger difference.

The first comparison I did was between the 10ft glass toslink and the three foot toslink cable I got with my ibasso.

When I first compared these I wasn't intentionally comparing them I was just changing my setup and I didn't need a 10ft cable anymore so I decided to just use my 3ft ibasso toslink cable. To my surprise I noticed the ibasso cable sounded better, the word that came to my mind was just that it sounded clearer , I tested them back and forth and the ibasso cable just sounded much nicer.

I thought maybe this had to do with the length more than the material so I sold the 10ft glass cable and bought a 3ft glass toslink cable.

So then I compared the 3ft glass toslink and the 3ft toslink that came with the ibasso, and the 3ft ibasso cable still sounded better. This time I paid more attention to the sound, I used the song 1979 by the Smashing Pumpkins to compare both cables, just listening to the song its hard to tell what sounded better except that it did and it sounded clearer but when I payed closer attention particularly when he sang It was obvious that what it was, is that his voice extends a little longer and decays a little more naturally with the ibasso cable, with the glass cable the decaying of the instruments and especially the voice was a little more muddy

Something I noticed about the cables when looking at the ends , is that it kinda seemed that the red light was brighter on the ibasso cable than on the glass cable, another thing I noticed is that the tip on the ibasso cable was longer than the tip of the glass cable.

Theres is still one more glass cable I want to try well actually two (but I cant afford the lifatec cable) the other cable I just bought is the Dayton 3ft glass cable which is different than the ebay glass cable, it should be here this week.

I dont have the ibasso toslink cable anymore since I sold my ibasso, so ill be comparing the dayton glass cable to the ebay glass cable next. If anyone knows the name of the toslink cable that comes with the ibasso please let know, it says it on the side of the cable but I forgot the name.

Quote:

Sorry for the late response,

So I compared the the Dayton glass cable and the ebay glass cable.

I used the same equipment as the previous test, my first impressions when I compared them was that the the dayton was a little more extended but also a little harsher in the high end and had a little less bass than the ebay cable, while the ebay cable sounded more relaxed, had a little more present bass but everything sounds more dull or more blunt.

I found that when I listened to the dayton cable I could actually listen to the music more It was harder to stop listening it involves you more in the music, while with the ebay cable it sounds more relaxed but its not as involving.

In conclusion I liked the sound of the dayton cable more and its the cable ill be using with my system , btw the build quality of the dayton cable is really nice a whole other class above the ebay cable.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosgr63 View Post
Kawai_man thanks for your update, very interesting indeed.
Can you post the link for the Dayton cable please?
How does it compare to your other Optical cables apart from the ebay one?
Have you tried the sysconcept cable (<$18/m)?
Parts-Express.com:*Dayton GOC-3 Glass Optical Digital Cable 3 ft. | toslink optical cable glass optical fiberoptic. digital optical Dolby digital 5.1

I havnt tried the sysconcept cable These are the cables Ive tried

6ft mini-toslink monoprice cable
10ft sonic impact glass cable
3ft cable that came with the ibasso d10,
3ft ebay glass cable
3ft Dayton glass cable

The two best ones are the 3ft ibasso cable and the Dayton glass cable these both sounded better than the 3ft ebay glass cable and the other ones. Unfortunately I sold my d10 before I got the dayton glass cable and dont have that cable anymore to compare it to the dayton glass cable. I remember the ibasso cable has a name and I think a model number on the side of it, I checked them on ebay and they were pretty cheap but I forgot the name, if anyone has one please let me know the name it says on the side of it!

I still want to try a few other cables but Im spent on money for cables so the last one ill probably be trying is the ibasso cable if anyone can give me the name of it. These are the ones I still want to try, which I may still try if I find them used so Ill be able to resell them without taking a hit or taking only a small hit on my wallet

Lifatec glass and plastic cables
Van den hul optocoupler
Optilink-5
sys-concept cable

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #5 of 8
at home now and the cable name is "CHOSERL" or "CHOSEAL". I can't tell if it is a 'A' or an 'R' due to the font...

Apr 28, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by LevA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
at home now and the cable name is "CHOSERL" or "CHOSEAL". I can't tell if it is a 'A' or an 'R' due to the font...

Yep its Choseal , by any chance does it have any other info on it like a model number?

Apr 29, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 8
so you are saying one optical cable sounded brighter and less bass than the other ?

I could practically just about see that one cable could bring out more detail than the other (possibly due to jitter) - but brighter ? that would mean that hte cable would have to effect the digital signal in a way that would effect the treble after being converted by the DAC ?

just can't see how that is possible ?

I use a $1 optical cable between my HTPC and my $3k av receiver to no ill effect
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back