quick question for ES7 OWNERS (somewhat urgent)
Jul 17, 2007 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ChaseD13

500+ Head-Fier
Hi es7 owners, I'm about to buy one right now!!i have a big plane trip coming up friday, and i need some closed portables (i dont like my iems for more than an hour at a time). i figure if i order the cans tonight, i should get them just in time.

The only thing that's bugging me is the way the phones are attached to the headband (the two metal wires, which as ive read, can be bent in for a "proper" and more stylish fitting). How strong are these wires? If i throw the es7s in a bag, and they get smushed, will they remain in 1 piece? Can they take any abuse?

The k81djs and the senn 25s look very durable (tank like), but the k81 is said to be inferior sound wise, and the 25s are supposedly "boring", and i want these to be "fun" cans, leaving me with the es7. Is there some other can i'm forgetting?

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 20
They're pretty strong I don't think you would have any problems in that respect.

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 20
You might want to include the Equation Audio RP-21, which many enjoy.

To reaffirm, the ES7s will have no problem in a bag. You just might scratch or smudge the mirror finish.

To be honest, the plastic swivel mechanism on the K81s, which I did manage to break while I owned them, seems more fragile to me than the ES7's metal rods.

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #5 of 20
They'll be fine, the headband wires are strong.

But don't be too careless with them, because the cord is not. I snapped mine -- surprisingly it broke at the Y connector instead of where the cord enters the cups. I don't think that part is very reinforced.

ath-es7-a.jpg

Best regards,

-Jason

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They'll be fine, the headband wires are strong.

But don't be too careless with them, because the cord is not. I snapped mine -- surprisingly it broke at the Y connector instead of where the cord enters the cups. I don't think that part is very reinforced.

ath-es7-a.jpg

Best regards,

-Jason

Ouch, poor ES7. How did you manage to do that?

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #7 of 20
yeh, actually i read about that jjcha in one of the big threads (your cable). though in the same pic, i can better see the thickness of the rods.

Also, can anyone describe the pads? I havent really dealt with leather? ones (i have had grados senns etc, but no leather). but recently i tried on a friends' bose phones which had fake?? leather pads, they were very cushiony, should i expect soft pads or firm ones?

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by slug4life /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ouch, poor ES7. How did you manage to do that?

Stood up while listening. Didn't notice that my foot was on the cord. Head/headphones up, foot/cord stays down -- snap!

Best,

-Jason

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseD13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeh, actually i read about that jjcha in one of the big threads (your cable). though in the same pic, i can better see the thickness of the rods.

Also, can anyone describe the pads? I havent really dealt with leather? ones (i have had grados senns etc, but no leather). but recently i tried on a friends' bose phones which had fake?? leather pads, they were very cushiony, should i expect soft pads or firm ones?

The ES7 pads are definitely firmer than any Grado foam (Sorry, no Bose experience here). Firm, but still comfy after you relieve the clamp. I believe they're pleather.

Jul 17, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #10 of 20
Hey, the shiny metal on the es7's scratch really easy, be careful.

I dont se ANY possibility of bending the metal youre talking about. It's extremely solid.

Jul 17, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #11 of 20
For what's it's worth, i bought es-7s to listen to on a plane. After a couple of hours of listening I decided the ambient noise from the plane & the "heavy bass" emphasis from the es-7 was a poor match. I've sold my es-7s since then. I'm back to IEMs on the plane.

Jul 17, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #12 of 20
yah, i recommend IEM too. Planes are just too loud for headphones at a safe listening level.

BTW do consider RP-21 as well if youre dead set on not doing IEM.

Jul 17, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #13 of 20
well i'll have modded e2cs with me as well, but i really need something to switch off with. the e2c is also the most comfy iem i have used (vs e4c sf5p ep630). its just the inside of my ear canal gets sore from outward pressure (which is necessary for isolation) after so many hours.

As far as scratching, i'm going to grab one of those clear protector sheets. that way i wont deal with scratching.

Also, this will complete my trio (e2c for iem, goldring dr150 which is on the way for home use, es7 is the closed alternative). all 3 should be fine ampless, and both the es7 and dr150 should have great mids, like the shures do. i love mids.

edit: as for the rp21, it just is too big. and it looks ugly, not something i really want to wear in public.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back