Quick question: Computer as source or Imod?
Mar 13, 2008 at 1:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

robster

500+ Head-Fier
Howdy- please forgive me for not researching past posts,but I'm getting headaches from all the past posts.
My question: I currently have a 160gb latest generation Ipod that is my portable source.
For a good sounding digital source with my new stereo system is the best route a 60GB Imod-? or my computer? or my160GB Ipod??

I'm not computer savy and not sure how to connect my lSony Vio aptop to my stereo. All my music is in apple lossless on a 160GB external harddrive.

Also I'm in the process of putting together components for my home stereo. I sold most of my cd's after I ripped them into apple lossless.

So should get an Imod? or just use my 160gb Ipod or use my laptop as a source.
Also the laptop will be in a different room from my stereo.
So using the Ipod or Imod would be more convienent.

Or just skip all three and buy a used Ah' Njoe CD player off Audiogon and start buying CD's again?

Thanks for all help.

Cheers,
Robert

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #2 of 8
60 or 80GB Imod sounds better than 160gb ipod. PC as source depends what DAC you use. My Pico as DAC sounds slightly better than my imod.

You may get better sound from a stand alone DAC than a Pico for the same price, I don't know what, maybe a used Stello?

CD is a pain in the butt.

WHat's your budget?

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #3 of 8
IMO, definately computer with a good DAC. Keep the iPod classic for portability and go with a DAC at the leftover $300 you would have spent after selling the classic for the iMod @500. The emu0404 is good by review, but I'm currently checking out the KECES DA-151 which is really hitting home with its comparisons and price range: KECES DA-151, USB DAC never sounded so good on computer - eBay (item 160216378095 end time Mar-18-08 04:54:18 PDT)

I think a good DAC like this, teamed up with a tube amp like I think you would like at the $300 price range (Darkvoice, X-Can, maybe foriegn possibly) would be a system to (probably easily) beat an iMod in sound quality at the same price. The iMod should be focused on for portability which you have covered well enough if you don't have that Digitial home rig setup yet. Thats where you are more likely to get your real listening time in and nostalgic memories.

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, definately computer with a good DAC. Keep the iPod classic for portability and go with a DAC at the leftover $300 you would have spent after selling the classic for the iMod @500. The emu0404 is good by review, but I'm currently checking out the KECES DA-151 which is really hitting home with its comparisons and price range: KECES DA-151, USB DAC never sounded so good on computer - eBay (item 160216378095 end time Mar-18-08 04:54:18 PDT)

I think a good DAC like this, teamed up with a tube amp like I think you would like at the $300 price range (Darkvoice, X-Can, maybe foriegn possibly) would be a system to (probably easily) beat an iMod in sound quality at the same price. The iMod should be focused on for portability which you have covered well enough if you don't have that Digitial home rig setup yet. Thats where you are more likely to get your real listening time in and nostalgic memories.

Many thanks Manaox2- hey if I use the dac connected by usb to my computer and my computer is in the next room,how should I connect my computer laptop to my pre-amp?

Cheers,
Robert

Mar 13, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by robster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many thanks Manaox2- hey if I use the dac connected by usb to my computer and my computer is in the next room,how should I connect my computer laptop to my pre-amp?

Cheers,
Robert

I might be a little confused about this setup. I guess that you don't want to move the laptop to the other room. The Logitech Squeezebox is a decent music server if thats what you need. A really long USB cable would technically work with little impact upon sound. Does that help?

Mar 13, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might be a little confused about this setup. I guess that you don't want to move the laptop to the other room. The Logitech Squeezebox is a decent music server if thats what you need. A really long USB cable would technically work with little impact upon sound. Does that help?

Yes sir that answers my question,a really long usb cord or a squeeze box..

Cheers,
Robert

Mar 13, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 8
A Squeezebox or similar device might be a good bet since if you're in another room you'd have no control for playing, pausing, etc. if you were just using a DAC hooked up to a PC.

... slightly OT, but when'd Logitech buy Slim Devices?

Mar 14, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jet87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Squeezebox or similar device might be a good bet since if you're in another room you'd have no control for playing, pausing, etc. if you were just using a DAC hooked up to a PC.

... slightly OT, but when'd Logitech buy Slim Devices?

Excerpt from the small text at the bottom of this link:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/sp...s/881&cl=us,en

Squeezebox was created by Slim Devices, a Logitech company purchased in 2006.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back